Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/213/139

Height: 5'7"

Default needed: exercise ideas

I have 3 problems with exercising and could use a few ideas please.

1. I hate exercising, I know bad excuse, but I have never been able to find a workout or exercise I enjoy other than walking.

2. Time, do I exercise or clean my house, do my homework or help my children with theirs, cook supper, make time for friends (none of whom exercise), spend time with hubby etc.

3. I feel that exercise is unproductive, I realize this is not the case, I am taking care of myself, but I cannot go for a walk, I have to walk somewhere, work or the store, and I just feel that I have wasted time when I have spent an hour exercising.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Exercise is certainly not a waste of time, as it gives us healthy bodies and contributes greatly to our weight loss. But sometimes we have to let our logic and knowledge "rule" us when our "feelings" don't match up. You probably "feel" this way -- even though you know better -- because as you say, you hate exercise.

When I first started on 3FC (this time) someone posted a quote which has been so helpful to me and which I remind myself of often. "If you love the results, learn to love the process." I work hard at that. There are many times when I don't want to go exercise but I know that if I DO, I will be so much happier with myself and get more results. Even when I am out walking or in the pool, etc., I find myself thinking "I DID it... I'm DOING it" when it was exceptionally hard for me not to talk myself out of it.

Try to find something to do that is enjoyable for you... whether it is biking, walking or... what I have found to be the best ever... water aerobics. Our outdoor pool is closing for the winter so I have been seeking out community pools and found a really nice indoor one where the cost is not too high. Since it won't be right here at home, I will go less often and add in other exercises along with it. But I have arranged with a friend to meet me there on Saturday mornings and we will do it together; may invite some others also. Sometimes we have to be creative and even mix things together. I'll be hitting our fitness center more, stair climbing, whatever.

It IS worth it. But it is NOT easy -- it has to be a flat out decision and stick with it. And make it a priority. But oh it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!!

And this is a great forum to find encouragement, challenge and support. So glad you are here, and I wish you the best.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote