Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/325/175

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy How do you handle the extra fiber?

Hi Guys:

I have a ? about increasing the fiber in your diet, I have been trying to go about it slowly, and am up to about 15 grams a day, and it does make me feel more full most of the time, but unfortunately it also gives me terrible stomach cramps and several bathroom trips, I don't know how to be less graphic, sorry! Any suggestions, will it get better? On a brighter note I have been OP all week and pushing the water, now I just need to start really going at the exercise and getting this fiber thing under control. Hope everyone is doing well and staying OP. Thanks for the feedback and support!

1st 10 pound weight goal September 20, 2006
zandersnannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #2  
Opulent

Well, I eat at least 50 grams of fiber in an average day and feel unwell if I *don't* have a lot of fiber and at least 2 good BM's daily

I suggest you really chew your food well, eat slow, and gradually work your way up to more fiber. Best of luck! If you are really in *pain* please go see your Doctor.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #3  

I think keeping your water up is key. I have always had a reasonably high fibre diet, so I guess it hasn't been a huge issue for me.

If you have pain - see your doctor - you might have some bowel issues or colon issues that need investigating.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

What kind of fiber are you getting in? Is it from food or from a supplement, because I've found that only supplements cause discomfort. And of course eating a lot of beans won't be too comfortable, but I've never had a problem with fruits and vegetables and then whole grains. Even consuming them in large amounts doesn't seem to cause a problem.

So try to incorporate your fiber in what you eat, rather than taking a supplement if they are causing you trouble (if that's what you are doing )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini View Post
Well, I eat at least 50 grams of fiber in an average day and feel unwell if I *don't* have a lot of fiber and at least 2 good BM's daily

I suggest you really chew your food well, eat slow, and gradually work your way up to more fiber. Best of luck! If you are really in *pain* please go see your Doctor.
WOW!! Good for you!!! I doubt if I get 50 grams of fiber in a week That's bad, I know.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm bad--I don't keep track of how much fiber I get. I'm never constipated, so I figure I get at least just enough *shrug* Anyway, I DO notice that when I eat a big bowl of my Kashi cereal, I get cramping and additional bathroom trips as well (LOTS of fiber--I forget which cereal exactly it is I have...the GoLean Crunch, maybe? and when I have a "bowl," it's more than a single serving), so I do have to be careful about taking in too much fiber at one time.

I would think that like anything else, your body wil become accustomed to it over time. I know that doesn't help you in the present, but I know it's that way with water, too. When I first started drinking more water, I was literally running to the bathroom all the time. Now that I'm more used to it, I don't have such urgent incidents, if that makes sense
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi there, Karen! I'm dealing with some sort of heavy-duty medical stuff right now, so I'm not living on my old plan of high fiber, low calorie, low sugar, low-glycemic carbs, yada yada yada....but back when I was, I was all ABOUT the high fiber! Like yogini, I got in GOBS of fiber, averaging 45-50 grams every day. I wholeheartedly agree with kykaree: water consumption is key! Also important is the source of the fiber, as another poster above mentioned.

I think it's ADMIRABLE that you're working on increasing your fiber intake! You're definitely on the right track, because it has such an impact on not just your weight loss but also your heart health, prevention of certain types of cancer, prevention of diabetes, and so much more. So don't lose faith!!

My advice is to get your fiber from whole grains and vegetables. I used to eat a LOT of leafy green vegetables, I ate brown rice regularly, high fiber whole grain bread and beans frequently, and I got a HUGE boost almost every day from a combination of 1/2 cup All-Bran Extra Fiber and 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean. (Not Crunch.) I drank 120-140 oz. water every day. Neither my fiber intake nor my water intake occurred overnight, so give yourself time and increase amounts gradually. I attribute both of these (among other things but I consider these both major factors) with my ability to lose about 80 pounds in 8 months.

Take it easy, ride it out, get it from whole, natural sources, avoid gaseous vegetables for a while, and drink as much water as you can stomach (and then some!) As for water intake, a technique that worked for me when I was starting out was to assign time increments for it so it wasn't so overwhelming, like, "By the time I leave for work, I'll have consumed 20 oz. between the milk and the water." Then, "By 11:00, I'll have finished this 22 oz. glass of water." And so forth. If I didn't make it, then I did better the next day.

Sorry this is so long.....but I really am happy that you're focusing on your fiber intake and want to support you in any way I can. You're on the right track, Karen, so keep up the good work! Unfortunately, when we replace negative habits/behaviors with positive ones, our bodies go through a period of adjustment which can be uncomfortable. It happens with exercise, fiber, water, all kinds of stuff! Just don't lose the faith!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would give advice others have given you, chew your few really well! I used to get horrible cramps from eating certain fibrous foods and my BF pointed out that I wasn't chewing my food very well. Once I started that, the cramps went away.

Also if you are eating fiber, your body needs something to help move that fiber out of your body and that means water! Make sure you are drinking enough water.

I get in tons of fiber but I don't get cramps, at least not anymore.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Make sure you drink enough water and have enough fat in your diet. My mother had the same kinds of problems for years when she was on an extremely lowfat diet. Once she increased her fat allowance they stopped.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/325/175

Height: 5'8"

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I probably don't chew my food well enough, and I am really trying hard with the water, getting there, but I know it's not enough yet, I do get my fiber from foods, mostly whole grains and fruits, I don't take fiber supplements, I can't eat leafy green vegetables or anything high in Vitamin K except in very small amounts because I am on a blood thinner for life and those foods ar no-nos! I appreciate all the advice and will put it to use, I know it will just take time. Thanks again to all fo you!
zandersnannyk is offline   Reply With Quote