General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #1  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Default Worst Holiday ever stories

Hey all, just got off the plane a couple of hours ago, and have to say this holiday was close to being one of the worst.
Going to leave it at that,,,with misery loving company and all,,,tell me about your worst holiday.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Today is a holiday? Anyway, sorry you had such a bad day, and hope things get better soon!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Today is a holiday? Anyway, sorry you had such a bad day, and hope things get better soon!
I'm pretty sure she's talking about having the worst vacation ever.

Sorry you had such a bad one hon!

Beverly
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Ok, I'll share my "worst" experience. It is funny now, in hindsight, but at the time was NOT funny!

My honeymoon trip was a disaster! We flew to disney world. JUST in time for a major hurricaine to necessitate evacuations from orlando. Forget disney world, think of how to evacuate! I call the airlines and am told that all flights are FULL...not a big surprise considering the evacuation order.

So, we decide to rent a car to escape. HA! It took hours to find an overpriced lawnmower-type car. We load up the car and start our trip back to Alabama.

We stop to get gas. DH gets out and starts pumping "gas". He says, "I've REALLY gotta go to the bathroom". Then I hear this "splashing" sound and hop out of the car thinking, "no way is this what I think it is"

Nope, DH did not lose control, it was gas leaking out. I look and notice that the gas thingey does not fit properly into the car. Note.....diesel gas pumps do NOT fit into gasoline cars, to prevent someone from doing what DH was doing.. ..putting the wrong fuel into a car! I immediately tell DH to STOP. He was so busy trying to fill the gas, while trying to wait to go to the bathroom, that he didn't realize that he was pumping diesel into the GAS tank.

OMG! We try to drive off and succeed for about 10 miles. Then, in the WORST possible neighborhood the car shudders and dies. It is now dark and we are in front of a hotel that offers hourly rates.... VERY scary looking place with several VERY scary looking people hanging outside staring at us.

As we watch "ladies of the night" solicit business and drug dealers do drive-thru crack sales we wait for a "rescue" from the car rental agency. 4 hours later we are STILL waiting.
OMG!

Finally, we decide to rent ANOTHER car to escape this scary scene. I am told that we can NOT leave the car unattended or the rescue will not take place (the one we are waiting on for 4 hours). If we abandon the car we are liable for anything that happens. So, DH takes a cab to a rental agency that is 26 miles away while I wait in a very hot locked car and watch a real live crime scene.

Finally we get back on the road. In less than 1 HOUR we have a flat tire.
Ok, that is dealt with. We proceed home.

At the airport where we parked our car we discover someone has dented and scratched our car. THANKS!

We go home. DH attempts to open the garage door. We hear this HORRIBLE noise and watch in disbelief as the glass in the door seems to explode and the door stays shut. DH had locked the door and FORGOT.
OMG! that cost us a garage door! Plus we were responsible for paying for the damaged car---NEVER put diesel into a gasoline engine!

Thankfully, my marriage is FAR better than the honeymoon!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #5  
Give me strength

Elizabeth,,,you beat me hands down. But if you combine all of my worst holidays you would see a similarity to yours...lol

Our vacation started at 3 am,,,if you don't like being up at that hour,,,,be sure not to have a flight going out at 7 am.
We had to do a stop over in Denver, the 2 hour flight had a woman that seriously didn't shut up. Loudly telling her two friends next to her all her married gory details...including her waking in the middle of the night with her husnband leaning over her with a raised fist. Personally I think she was talking in her sleep and he had enough,,,cause at that point I was thinking of raising my fist. At one point I stood up and turned around looking her squre in the eyes,,she didn't even pause,,,infact she kept talking directly at me as if I was standing there spell bound. My oldest son started mimicing her,,,which was hilarous,,,people sitting by caught on and so pretty much everyone near her,,,was almost passing out from laughter.
So we land in Orlando, and promptly noticed they lost our luggage. Out of 5 bags we had 2, one full of shoes the other full of other bags (incase we hit a shoe sale..lol) 3 hours later,,,we are still waiting,,,they told us if we left it could be between 10 -2 am before they delivered us our luggage.
We rented a house, which is something we do all the time, but this house was literally a shell. No dish towels, or well basics. (frying pans, pots)
The pool was so dirty the kids wouldn't swim in it. Gross.
It rained all 9 out of 10 days, most of the ride we wanted to go on at DisneyWorld was closed down due to the rain...And also at universal.
We were to leave Wed, got a call from our Airline saying our flight was cancelled, the house we were was done that day so we had to move to a hotel, finding a hotel with all other airlines having cancelled flights was interesting. We found a place that must of at one time been pretty swanky. AT onetime but that time was long gone. While walking down the long hallway,,,we could smell a mingling of all types of smells that we think of unwashed things,,,,,gag. Now the four of us are stuck in a room that is the size of our smalled bedroom,,,its cold and damp,,,the bedding is wet. So I see, hey they have a heater,,,turn it on,,,and promptly the fire alarms start going off. My husband at the same time was plugging in the side lamp (all the electical stuff wasn't plugged in, including the tv) he thinks the alarms are due to the lamp, he pulls the plug, Im using a pillow to fan the fire detector. He opens the window, and lets the room air out,,,so there we all sit watching the rain,,,,as it blows into our already damp room.
Ya know how the mirror steams up after a shower? Well all the mirrors in that hotel room were all steamy. And no one had taken a shower yet. I went to turn on the fan near the heater,,,and found a clump of dust which was moving,,,it was actually a clump of spiders...(I am known in my family of having melt downs over spiders) I didn't sleep that night,,,was glad to see the morning sun,,,this hotel advertised having free breakfast, from 6 am -10, we left at 7 am and saw no breakfast at all, free or otherwise. So we sat at the airport till 2 pm, our flight was late, which caused us to be late getting to our connecting flight. We should of been home at 7 pm that night,,,but got home at 9:30 so that wasn't too bad.

I slept a full 10 hours...and woke feeling so refreshed. I think in the future I will stay west of Saskatoon/Montana during the hurricane season.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

WOW. Both of those stories make me want to magically send both of you and your families to wonderful, pampering spas full of warm beds, exquisite food, and pristine sparkling pools... etc etc etc!

Geez, I've had some doozy experiences but you both put me to shame!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #7  
Give me strength

So you all can see Im from Canada,,,and have to say I got the most sun today then the last 2 weeks...lol But just cause I wanted a tan I went and spent 12 min. in the tanning bed,,,my mini vacation.

I have had a few bad vacations,,,2 years ago we went to Cuba, apart from our boys (16-11yrs old) were not next door from our hotel room but 5 rooms down, believe me I have no fear speaking my mind,,,but these people (language barrier) didn't/wouldn't understand the need to have the boys room next to ours, *sigh Then we within a couple of days we noticed that they had a huge ant problem,,,you could see the line of ants marching from our sliding door to the hall door. We won't talk about the big things crawling along the walls every so often. And for breakfast lets have some slimy fish and undercooked potatoes? gag... We went on a couple of tours, one that was way underground, which was nice and cool, but walking down 90+ steps that are slippery made for an interesting time. We were like 50 feet below ground when their power went out,,standing there with 20 other people in total darkness was not one of my favorite times. But to top it off a few of the guides friends joined us, one of them pinched my butt! The lights came on with him holding his chest,,,,lol (at least I hope it was the guy) I would of went for more hits but it was hard enough keeping my footing to walk over to him. I consider myself a strong woman,,,but I was like a infact when it came to walking more then a block,,, it was that hot. We were all seriously sun burned from a half hour...even with 30 sunblock. And of course throw in hurricane Erin,,,(something with *E* names) We left the island 3 hours before it hit. And spent a harrowing 6 hrs in the plane with no service.,,,just a very nail biting ride.

And there was the time we got lost in the dark in SF on the wrong side of the city. My husband could honestly say up till that trip he had never been abused by me...lol My girlfriend who travelled there often said,,,NEVER stop when you see alot of graffiti, broken lights and gangs of young people. And what does my husband do? First time ever he wants to pull over and ask for directions,,,I pulled my blow dryer out of my bag and threatened to hit him and toss his body out...and leave him there! I think he saw I was serious and drove for another 2 hours before we found our hotel. Our lil mini romantic holiday was kinda ruined with the blowdryer threat...lol

As sad as this is,,,there are still more bad holidays....
Old 09-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/172/130

Hmm... Well, I've had a few BAD vacations/holidays. Here is the worst... Most of my extended family lives in another country and my sister wanted everyone to meet her husband and new baby so we decided to take a week and show them the country...and take a private tour of a few cities before we visited family. It was nice, but some of the hotels the tour company booked for us were not the quality and we had asked for - damp sheets, spiders, brown water in the shower. At one hotel, I think we were the only guests. It was so bad that I asked my dad if we could cut short the tour and just go to our aunt and uncles house.
The next week was wonderful. I love visiting our extended family because even though we only get a chance to see them for a few weeks every 3 - 5 years, it's like no time has passed. So that was the good part of the trip.

The worst part was the trip back home. Our local flight to the international airport was delayed by 2 hours so that when we finally got to the international airport we only had 40 minutes to collect our luggage (almost 10 suitcases - we were bringing a lot of stuff back home with us), transfer to the international terminal, and check in. We barely made it. As we were about to go through security, someone told us that it would be better to wait outside because there was something wrong with the plane. So we wait for about 2 hours and then are told that our flight is cancelled! By this time, we were really upset because we were so ready to get back home since we always have a hard time leaving our family and had to say goodbye to them a few hours earlier.
They put us up in a hotel since they had no idea when the plane will be fixed and we stay there with no luggage for a whole day and finally leave the next night. One 7 hour flight later we land in Amsterdam and are told that we have another 12 layover since we obviously missed our connecting flight back to the US and are put on Northwest Airlines which flies to MInneapolis first and then take another flight to Chicago (our final destination.) Originally we were supposed to fly directly from Amsterdam to Chicago. Northwest Airlines International planes aren't nearly as nice as KLM airlines planes, so it wasn't a good flight.
When we finally land in MInneapolis, we have a little less than an hour to go through customs, collect and recheck our luggage, and get our connecting flight to Chicago. So we go to baggage claim and none of our luggage is there, so we have to go right to the gate for our connecting flight and hope that when we land in Chicago, our luggage will also be there!
When we finally get to Chicago we go to pick up our luggage and it's not there. I am waiting by the carousel and my sister, brother-in-law, and dad are talking to the agent to find out where our bags are. I give up hope that our luggage will miraculously appear on the carousel and go towards the agent booth.

***This is the definately the worst part of our whole trip... **** When I got to the booth, I see my dad's briefcase lying on the ground next to the luggage cart. I don't think anything of it and then my sister comes out and asks me where their backpack was! Someone had STOLEN it! And the worst part was that all of our cameras were in the bag.... We had taken almost 1000 pictures and some of the people in those pictures we will probably not see again. I just want to cry when I think about it. I would have given ANYTHING just to have the pictures off of those memory cards. They could have kept those cameras!

So there we are waiting for my other sister who had taken an earlier flight to come to the airport to pick us up, sad that we had no pictures - or luggage, but happy that we had made it home safe and sound.

That wasn't it though. It took another day to get most of our suitcases, and when we finally got our last suitcase - almost a week later, my sister opens it up and finds that some things had been stolen.

A few minutes after we realize that, I am holding my nephew and trip over something that we had bought on our trip that was on the floor and in order to prevent myself from falling or dropping my nephew, my little toe catches on something, and I completely break it and my mom has to take me to the emergency room...

I don't think I could have asked for a worse tour vacation or a worse welcome home...
Old 09-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

My worst Vacation ever - it was April 2001 and was my first trip ever going somewhere special. I was 15 and went to Maui, Hawaii.

We had been there a couple days and did this windy drive to this place called Hana. On the way back I started to feel sick and had this really bad pain in my tummy. I thought I just ate too much bad stuff and bad had gas or something trapped in my ribs (my gramma gets that). Anyway I spent two days in the hotel room not eating and just sitting there, I couldnt even lay down. Finally my mom takes me to the doctor in the hotel he touches my tummy and says TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL RIGHT AWAY!

So I get to the hospital and then run all this blood work and GUESS WHAT? I have to have appendix out in HAWAII! My first time ever in hawaii and my first time ever in the hospital... I was so scared. And this doctor came in my room looking like some freak cowboy I just started crying my eyes out when I thought there were going to give him a knife! (they didnt)

The surgery went good except I had left it so long a minor surgery turned into a bigger on and I ended up with a much bigger scar. When I woke up they told me they sewed me back up in the shape of a palm tree- I started to cry again. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and it was horrible! I woke up from sugery with the worst feeling of thirst, I thought I was going to die I wanted a drink so bad.

Anyway we got our trip extended but I came back to home without even swimming in that beautiful hawaiian ocean Thank goodness for insurance, $20,000..... I went back in 2004 tho!

oh man, and then there was the flight home... I was in so much pain. We left Maui and flew to the big island in a whole 10 mintues, but then we had like 4 hours in this airport and all I wanted to do was lay down but there were these stupid chairs... and then the flight, the moron in front of me (my step dad!) had his chair all the way back and I couldnt move... it was a midnight flight... but I made it home with a t-shirt that says, "I survied the road to hana" hahaha

Last edited by sotypical; 09-05-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #10  

I really have the bug to get away. You guys were just what I needed. I was feeling depressed because we really don't have the funds to do a cool vacation. After reading these stories. Thankful for some local retreat! May your future travels be better!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #11  
Give me strength

anytime,,,just call on us to make you not want to do something fun...lol
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #12  

Funny! I still want to have fun
Closed Thread