Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Going to the gym hungry?

I always hear about not working out too soon after eating, but what about not eating till after working out?

Often times I go to the gym hungry, come home and shower then grab food.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It's certainly personal preference, but your body does need fuel to perform well. I always eat something prior to going to the gym, and then something when I get home. I used to go to the gym hungry, but found I didn't have as much stamina as I wanted. Once I started eating something before a workout, I was able to workout longer and harder.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I used to eat before going to the gym (a decent amount for lunchtime), and then after my workout I'd be hungry again and then would have to eat a second lunch or feel like I'm starving. I then thought to myself, 'well, that's silly.' So now, I don't eat until after I work out. I only have 1/2 hour to spare for gym time, so I would end up working out the same amount either way. That's been working out fine for me.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I like to eat before and eat after... I get weak if I don't eat beforehand and don't perform well at all...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

I agree that it's definitely a personal preference. It would also depend on what kind of exercise you're doing. You would probably want to eat something before doing something really intense. (Ie: an hour of Spinning.)
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #6  
Meg

Hmm, I did an hour of spinning this morning at 6 am on an empty stomach. If I had eaten before class, I would have tossed my cookies halfway through.

I agree with everyone that it's personal and whatever works the best for you. I do cardio at 5:45 am, so never eat beforehand. I try and plan my lifting for about 1.5 - 2 hours after I've eaten, both to prevent the queasies and so that I can eat a meal as soon as I get home from the gym. I'm always STARVING! ( we need a 'gnaw your arm off' smilie )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #7  
Mel

I can eat and exercise at the same time It's a talent The only thing I can't do is lift heavy weight on an empty stomach. That's a recipe for disaster and scars for me.

Do what works for you- just don't land in a heap on the gym floor from doing an intense workout with no gas in your tank if that's how YOUR body reacts.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It's interesting--I have to wait an hour after eating before I work out or I'll cramp up. So if I get up really early in the morning to work out, I do it on an empty stomach (really empty, since I won't have eaten all night) because I don't want to have to get up an hour early to eat and then wait an hour to work out. I'm always fine when I do this; I have plenty of stamina and don't feel weak or hungry, etc.

I do sometimes worry that I'm not burning fat when I workout like this because I don't have any fuel in my body (but I'm not worried enough to lose an hour of sleep so that I can eat beforehand). One of the many confusing things I think I read somewhere is that if you workout without eating, your body may end up burning muscle rather than fat. But I could be totally confused on this. It seems like there are so many rules about exercising that I can't remember them all.

Any other time of the day, I have to have eaten within 1 to 2 hours before I work out or I will be totally starving during my workout, I'll feel weak, and it will be a struggle to finish. I time my meals and snacks very carefully to make sure I have eaten enough but not too much before I work out. Then I usually have a snack when I finish my workout. On the weekends, I usually time my workout to start midway between breakfast and lunch and then I can just eat lunch when I finish.

But since I can workout fine early in the morning without food, who knows...maybe this idea that I need food to work out is all in my head.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Barbara, I'm like that too when I workout in the wee hours of the morning I do not need to eat at all before the gym, I just need my coffee though
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #10  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Wow.. so many different ideas. @_@ I ask because I use to eat right before I went to the gym and I would feel full and it seemed to make it harder to work out, even if all I had was a snack. Then I would eat an hour before the gym and I would come home starving.

I guess I just have to time it a bit more ^_^
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #11  
loving my beautiful self

What I've been able to do is go to the gym about 4 hours after eating lunch, but eat a banana no more than 45 minutes before working out. Maybe I just eat very filling or large lunches, I'm not sure. I would be famished by the time I got home from the gym. One time I went to the gym after eating breakfast or something, and ohhhh that did not feel good. I felt so heavy and expanded just because I was trying to move fast.

I have found bananas to be filling. I consider them "power foods". They are nutritious, have fibre, potassium (good except for certain medical conditions), are sweet (well that always helps ) and they're not crispy but mushy - somehow that makes me feel more full or like I'm eating more than "just an apple".

I would suggest experimenting a little bit to find out what works for you and YOUR body!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #12  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I can't eat right before a workout, has to be at least an hour in advance or I feel like I would toss it. lol. My husband I think could eat right before and be just fine. Men. lolllllllllllllll.

I agree I think its a personal preference............
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

I have breakfast around 8am, and then head off to the gym. It's a brisk walk there, but it's probably about a half hour before I start doing anything high intensity. I find that if it's over an hour from the last time I ate 'til I work out, I have much less energy. Then again, I eat mini-meals.

There was a time when I hadn't eaten for three hours, and I was doing high intensity cardio and nearly passed out. The goal is to avoid that, generally! Whatever works for you, though.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote