Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #85

G'day everyone,

Firstly a big welcome to Bernice, nice to see a new face. I agree with Glenda, not sure why people pop in and then disappear again, we really are all VERY nice

I got back again yesterday quite exhausted for many reasons.
Just to make me feel really good my main computer has crashed and I have been very upset thinking I had lost a lot of my 'stuff'. Believe me I have a lot of STUFF!
It is being repaired at the moment and they are hopeful that most can be saved. I do back-up regularly but of course had not done so for a few weeks.

My dear dh had installed email on my 'old' laptop thatI am using now until my computer is fixed hopefully to the middle of next week.

Of course I cannot really remember who said what on the previous thread other than that Ann, Karen and Bernice all had lunch together. That must have been really good fun.
I also read Karen's advise about the scales, I may as well chuck mine out I never stand on them!!!!

Now that the new grand daughter has been born we can get back to planning our US trip. We got some books from the library and thank you Ann for your suggestions.

I hope everyone is well and I really look forward to getting some good nights sleep and get back to normality.

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #2  

Maria Glad you made it back safe and sound. New Baby sure is cute and looks just as sweet. Your excitement over you US trip is rubbing off on the rest of us. I do hope it is all that you expect and more. There is so much to see and to do.

Bernice I join with the rest of the gals in hoping that you will continue on with us. We are really very nice I promise.

Lunch with Ann was a treat. She was so pretty all dressed in red. Last time I saw her it was blue and looked pretty but I really think red is her color. And I did like her hair very short. Like she said her spike was not behaving. Kind-of flopping over because too long but still cute. Just So all of you will know know Ann is just as warm in person as she is here. Always with a ready smile. it was fun.

So Sunday nothing to eat or drink after mid-night I don't even go into the hospital until 10:50am I will be starving!!!!!!!!! Surgery isn't until 3 hours later . Aren't there laws or something against that???So I figure I will start eating about 6:00 Pm on Sunday and continue on until mid-night that way I should stay satisfied until I can eat again. What do you think? Sound like a plan? I was told I will be able to put my full weight on my knee as soon as surgery is over . Will just need crutches to steady myself because of the big bandage. Sounds like I won't even get to whine & cry or nothing. Wednesday the bandage comes off. 2 weeks later the stitches come out. And I'm good as new! That Right Gloria?

I was up .2 after lunch with Ann this week but my weight loss still stands at 18 pounds gone and 3 pounds under goal. This week I'm staying very close to my losing points because I know I won't be able to exercise next week. And it seems what I do one week shows up the next.

Have to go get dress. Sprout is looking at me it's time for our walk. See you later.

Karen
Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Karen, that sounds like a plan to me, a good one. This operation is usually just a snap and relieves so much pain that it is so worth it. My son keeps up with two little boys now and he has had 2 of these. 18 pound gone! Be proud, be very proud!

When I went to the doctor, I was my regular (for the last 1 1/2 year at least) 8 pounds over. He told me it takes 3 months before thyroid medicine makes much of a difference. He also told me I probably wouldn't have anymore problems. It is that "probably" word that keps the adrenalin going.

We bought another car, a gently used car. It is a 2001 with 20,000 miles. The lady who had it didn't go much. Anyway, this is my old new car and we will kept our old newer car. Now, we are a 2-car family! Yea!

Slavika, where are you? You haven't been heard of for awhile. My officemate is handling the heavy grieving process right now. It has been 2 months for her and she said she still feels this is unreal. I wish I knew what to say to her. Are your grandkids in school? Are you still thinking about the fitness club?

All, hope you have a great weekend. Next week we are supposed to be in the 80's. Be still my heart!
Glenda
Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #4  

Hi all, Thanks for welcome, Maria and Karen. Lost.8lb this week and the total so far is 18.6 so I guess I am on track. Found vita muffins in the supermarket and at 1 pt they really are good but a bit pricy. Has anyone else tried them?
Karen, I take it from your post you are having knee surgery this week. My son in law went thru that 3 weeks ago and he was just fine 1 day later. He's back to work(a cop) and goes for physical therapy. His problem was a torn miniscus. Good Luck.
Maria, I see you are planning a trip to NYC. If you need some info maybe I can help as we live an hour outside the city I'm not sure when you are planning to come but the fall is a great time to visit. There is so much to see and travelling around is not difficult as the subway and bus system is quite good. A fewmust see I would recommend is the financial district, Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State building,South street Seaport, Chinatown, Broadway, the lower Eastside, and Central Park. just to name a few. Be prepared for high prices in restuarants and you don't need a car as it's impossible to park and just going from West side to East Side can be a hassle. Traffic is awful and so much construction. If you have any questions just fire away.
Hi Ann, Hope all is well-sounds like lunch with Karen was fun. We are hearing reports of a maybe hurricane hitting Fl, Hope it doesn't. Be safe.
Hi Glenda.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #5  

Hi Bernice glad to see you had a loss this week . Good for You My knee the same as your sons. Hope I do as as well.

This will be a weather watch week-end . There is a storm moving into the golf but the weather computers don't show it coming this way. Let's hope the computers are as smart as we think they are.

We have rain in the area again today so it is kind of gloomy outside. I do get crabby when it is like this so am going down to aerobics in hope's of raising my mood. See you later.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #6  

Here we are again on Hurricane watch. We are prepared!. Today we just made sure we have enough batteries?check. water?check. food?check. gas?check.Money?check. clothes?check. Important papers?check. Now we just have to wait to know which way to run. What a pain. My Aunt called this morning. And I told her that if the house blew down we would bulldoze the rest of the house and drive north and that my friends is the plan. At least my knee will be done by the time all this is suppose to take place. Again I say what a pain.

Well for now the sun is shinning. But it wasn't long ago that I heard thunder so don't know how long the sun will last. I'm finishing up on my wash today just one small load in the washer and I'm done. Have steaks for DH to cook on the grill for Dinner will have salad and fresh fruit to go with them.

Tried to call my Mom a little while ago but she must be out gallivanting with someone I hope.

Well I guess I can go get my clothes out of one and put them in the other. So see you later.
Karen
Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #7  

Hi Karen, Glad you are prepared. We worry also even tho we are not there believe the damage we saw in Punta Gorda 5 months after it happened after Charlie. TV just doesn't do it justice and I guess when you watch all these events on TV it just doesn't seem real. I hope my neighbors are prepared. Last year they said it was frightening to go thru a hurricane as it sounded like a freight train about to hit the house. Because alot of Florida houses have no basements and have alot of glass, there is nowhere to hide.
We have had awful weather this week-end with torrential downpours and lots of thunder and lightening. One of my dog is shaking so it's like holding a vibrating machine. Poor Muffin suffers so during storms and often knows it's coming before it actually does. She could get a job predicting weather as she is often more acurrate than Doppler Radar.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #8  

Poor Muffin. What kind of dog is Muffin? My little Sprout doesn't really like the storms either. But he's more into barking at thunder. He's a little strange.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #9  

Muffin is a maltese as is Misty and then there is Kasha and Pitzi who are toy poodles. Our lives revolve around these four and when we go to Fl we drive in a minivan because of them. They are all girls and just delightful little furkids.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #10  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone..

BerniceI was wondering where you got the user name from, is Muffin the oldest of the 4 furkids? You must really love them to have 4. I am sure they keep you busy and give you tons of love back. I love dogs too. We used to have a King Charles Spaniel and she was a nervous little thing. When there was a thunderstorm you could see her shedding her hair.
On the last board I got quite a laugh out of the grandson stories. I thought Grimda was a hoot! Where do they think up these things?
Well Karen & Ann I am keeping my fingers crossed that the hurricane doesn't come your way. Are you going to stay or go? Ann I am sure all the stress isn't going to help your digestion out. How is the knee Karen?
Glenda I have been meaning to ask you how the vegetarian diet is going. Do you miss eating meat at all and why did you go on the diet in the first place. You might have told us this already... just bear with me.
Something else I have wanted to ask Maria. When you had the facial hair removed, were you satisfied with the results? How is that computer coming along? We haven't heard from you in a few days. I just dread it when mine acts up.
I talked to Slavika on the phone today, she was her usual funny self.
I can't remember anything from the previous board, so I will say Hi to Peggy and Gloria.
My DD and kiddies will be coming over tomorrow so I am baking some Chocolate Chip cookies. I have this new recipe that calls for a 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed to the 2 cups flour. They are really good and I can convince myself that they are HEALTHY. I am getting my hair cut in the morning and the little is going to get hers done after me. Should be fun.

Bye for now...

Last edited by Trudy; 08-28-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 AM   #11  

G'day all,

Still have only limited computer access, my main computer is still away being fixed.

Bernice your dogs sound gorgeous, a friend of mine bred pappilions and at one stage had 17 . I ended up having 2 pappilions but they have now passed on and as much as I loved them, they were a real tie so it will be a long time before we would consider having a dog again.

Trudy yes I did have some of my facial hair removed by laser, unfortunately white hair cannot be removed by laser, the laser needs the pigmentation of the darker hair to be succesful so I have been sort of happy with it.
I have stopped waxing as it does nothing to my skin but use an electric women's razor, sounds ghastly but I have no choice. I am naturally very fair and I have no idea why I am so hairy

Tuesday the day we look after Matilda. She is such a little trick! We took her down the beach this morning, it is a lovely sunny spring day here, she ended up splasing in the water and then of course the inevitable she fell in the water!
We quickly walked home, stuck her in the bath, dh looked after her whilst I raced around the corner to a St.Vincent de Paul op shop to see if I could get some clothes. Bought her 2 little outfits for the princely sum of $10.50 and was back home within 10 minutes. If I had gone to the shopping centre I would have been away at least 45 minutes and probably quite a bit more out of pocket. The volunteers in the op shop thought it was hilarious and all helped me pick out a few suitable items.

I have just heard her wake up...must fly...

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #12  

Just dropping by to say hi. Knee is done. Not too much pain. I can walk on my own that is good. Had a pretty good night was up several times to you know what and fell asleep on the toilet. I can fall asleep anywhere when I take pills. Lucky I did not fall off. Woke up each time and went back to bed. Dh was wondering where I was ? But did not get up to check.

Ann was sorry to hear about you weekend. But glad to hear you are OK.

Bernice., Doggies sound cute. But four? I have my hands full with my little Sprout. He is Half Yorkie and half Brussels Griffon. That's why the name.

Have to go Phone calls to make.

Karen
Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody....and welcome to the board Bernice. It was nice seeing a new face here. I love dogs too. The last dog we had was a Bichon, Nikita, and she was so sweet. DH and I talked of getting another pup but we wanted to travel and didn't know what we would do with a new dog. For several years we have gone to Maui for winter holidays and you sure can't take a dog with you, but I do miss not having one. Karen I am so happy that your surgery went just great and sorry the your sugar levels are up. When your all healed, and able to walk your sugar will likely drop a little. Before David died we had talked of getting new carpeting for the basement level in our house, so I just recently ordered a Berber carpet and it will be laid around the middle of Oct. LOL LOL I will NOT be taking out the old one like my brave friend Trudy, I'll let the carpet guys do that. Ann how did you make out with your medical insurance? Did they cover the costs or do you know yet? I sure hope that you are fully recovered. Gals, one of Ann's daughters makes bracelets and Ann had her make one for me. Her daughter researched what the colour for Multiple Myeloma is and it's sort of burgundy colour and she made up a lovely bracelet for me, and yes you gals are right Ann is just as sweet and kind as can be. I had this lovely bracelet waiting in my mailbox for me and it just so happens that I have a big silver riing that matches it so well. Once again Ann, thank you. My little "Diva" granddaughter is now finished performing in the stage production of "Wizard of Oz". She enjoyed the whole experience very much. After her last show on Thursday, Son and family took off for Minneapolis and got home last night.
School starts on the Sept. 8th I think. Gloria, I hope your eyelid has healed up. Ryan sounds like a fun kid. My grandson is much like that too.
Last Wednesday, coming home from our day out, my friend Irene and I were stopped at a red light and a woman driving a HUGE van just smashed right into the back end of my friend's small little Toyota. I did hurt my neck and back and start physio on Thursday. Some of Peggy's comments to emails are funnier then the emails themselves. Hi Maria are you rested up after helping our your daughter with the new baby.........I guess tho, that Matilda keeps you busy. Talk to you all soon.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #14  
Web Nana

Saw the Dr. re the follow up on my eyelid surgery....everything is OK. It was benign which I thought it would be. It has healed beautifly and only is the very slightest pink which I am sure will fade soon. I usually heal very quickly and this was no different.

Slavika: That accident was too bad, I hope the physio will help with what must be some aches and pains. I'll bet your hasn't come down from cloud nine yet. We will have to look for her at some Academy Award show in the future and say we know her grandmother.

Karen: So glad that the knee is done and only time needs to pass before you will be out there squiring Sprout around again. That kind of surgery seems to be an easy way to get a sore knee better fast!

Bernice: Wow! Four dogs....that's a house full but they sound so cute. When we had dogs.....a dog's age ago, we had St. Bernards. Over the years we had 3 different dogs. Their only saving grace is that they were outside dogs Summer and Winter. After they are a year old they can stay out during the winter but we had 2 at the same time under 1 yr and they stayed in the kitchen each night. Boy, I had the cleanest kitchen floor that year....I had to wash it every day! No dogs now, retirement and travel and dogs don't mix.

Maria: Matilda sounds like she likes to explore, somewhat like her Ooma! Falling in the water now is different that when she first discovered the ocean and didn't like it.

Ann: I hope you are feeling better each day after your bad weekend.

Hi to Trudy, Glenda & Peggy

Gloria
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #15  

Thanks for the welcome Slavika and Karen, Yes four dogs can be a hassle when one is retired but I had them before hubby retired and before we even thought of going south for the winter. Because of them we had a devil of a time finding a place that would allow four as most deed restricted neighborhoods have a 2 or 3 dog limit. Where we finally settled there was no such restriction and my neighbors are wonderful but I also just wallk them on my property and clean up after them. Trips mean boarding them and that gets expensive but we just figure it's part of the vacation costs. Travelling to Fl is interesting cause we stop every 3 hrs to walk and water and of course its good to stretch our legs as well. Have to make sure we stay in pet friendly hotels and we have the whole deal down to a science now. St Bernards-beautiful dogs but I can't imagine the amt of poop that needs to be scooped plus don't they shed?
Karen-surgery over? Hope you are on the mend.
Closed Thread