Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 03:13 PM   #1  

Default A wake up call...

Over this last weekend a man my husband worked with for over 2 years died. The doctor said without question the man literally ate himself to death. His only health problem was his being overweight, out of the blue he went into a coma, then his kidneys and liver just quit working. Within 3 weeks he was gone. When my husband called me and told me, I felt like I had come out of a fog. I got off the phone and just let the news sink in. I have been messing around with losing weight, but have given up for a while. I got on one site and it had a BMi calculator. I came up with a 48.1, I then entered what my husbands co-worker weighed and his height and his BMI was 48.2. A point 1 difference. I made my mind up then and there that I was not messing around anymore.
I realized that I may not have a next year, or a next week if I keep going this way. I am not trying to scare anyone, just trying to share what I feel.
I cleaned out the cabinets and the fridge, and I am doing healthy. Exercise is on my plate daily. I have a long way to go and I will be here to keep me motivated.
300/297/140
Old 12-13-2001, 03:52 PM   #2  

ktstarfire: I have slacked off, too, so you certainly aren't alone. I know that how and what I eat has a direct effect on my wellbeing. Yet sometimes it just doesn't seem important or I don't want to have to think about watching what I eat.

I don't understand why things sometimes have to hit so close to home before we sit up and take notice. Maybe we need to learn to put our health first. Maybe we need to learn to take some time for ourselves so that there will actually BE time to share with others.

I think that you are doing a great service by posting. It will really help. It will help us women who feel that "me time" feels selfish. It will help those men who make every excuse not to go to the doctor (like DH).

2ofMe (Annie)
Old 12-13-2001, 10:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to our community. We each have our own wake up calls that finally smacks us up side the head to tell us now's the time. I'm sorry you husband lost someone though.

Feel free to jump in and post on any thread. We have a general thread that starts with a number and then many post questions and such. We are all following different plans but we all have one goal in mind and that is to get healthy.

Good luck in your weight loss.
Dawnyal
Old 12-14-2001, 12:37 AM   #4  
hot mom wanna be!

Unhappy how sad

I am sorry to hear about your husband's friend. I too weighed 300 pounds, in January this year I weighed 313 and was in shock I could weigh that much (even though I was wearing size 26 jeans!) I am 5'9 but still that's atleast 150 pounds over my ideal weight. I lost 30 pounds in a few months and havent moved since then. I just started getting motivated by posting here more. That's the best advice I can give. Come here and post your progress and or problems, it really helps!
good luck!!
lorelei
(313/281/160 goal)
Old 12-15-2001, 03:55 PM   #5  

Question

KStar:

What's a BMI and how do I find out about mine? Thanks! We are all in this together.

308.6/292.4/150
Old 12-15-2001, 09:51 PM   #6  

Mello a BMI is a body mass index and I know one place you can go is www.weightwatchers.com and at the bottom of the page is a link to BMI calculator. Hope this helps!

Kim
Old 12-16-2001, 10:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Mello--> There are several other ways to measure your BMI. I have a scale that measures it for me. It sends tiny electric pulses up through my feet and back down to find my BMI. They also have machines that measure just BMI and not weight. And you can do it the old fashioned way by using a caliper and pinching various areas on your body and calculating it that way.
After getting my scales, I would caution against using just the online calculators. They are great and all, but not very accurate. I go on to weightwatchers or any of the others and input my data and it shows my BMI to be about 10% below what it actually is.

Hope this helps.
Dawnyal
Old 12-16-2001, 01:45 PM   #8  

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:13 AM   #9  

ktstarfire

Hello and welcome to our group. You'll be amazed by how much support and inspiration you find here.

I am so sorry to hear about your husbands friend who has passed on. Very sad and scary. We all have had our own personal "wake up" calls, but this one am sure we all can relate to.

Were all in this together. Make yourself at home, and post away.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:29 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Dawnyal i have a scale and it shows 10% higher than the online calculator, which is only 2% off of a really accurate one that a trainer does for me. and i do believe that one as it reports the metabolic rate and water content which also can scew any bf calculator if you are dehydrated it is loss in the muscle which will show a lower muscle mass then showing a higher bf%
Old 12-20-2001, 02:49 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Wow

My head is just spinning. When you said that he had no other health problems, I thought "That's me". I always think "I need to take care of this soon, before I come down with some health problems", I don't think "I need to take care of this soon, before I die".

Welcome to our group. Good luck on your journey.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:39 AM   #12  

Talking

Lord just help me get started..I currently weigh 319 and was 19 pds heavier..I as well as you all don't need a health problem do to our weight..Your story sure does scare me though..I worry about a heart attack..Heart attacks run in my family bigtime..I keep putting it off that I will lose weight...But tomorrow comes and I'm back to eatting what I want..I know others have lost large amount of weight and it seemed so easy for them to do so..Why can"t I???Well, here I go again..I will get motivated after Christmas....May everyone here have a great Christmas and a wonderful year ahead...Your friend...Sherry
Closed Thread