Old 08-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #1  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Smile 21 Day Challenge- Fitness habits

I recently ran across a community board called Twenty1days which works off the idea that it takes 21 days to form a habit. So every 21 days they start a new challenge to form a new habit. I personally didn't like the community itself, no good information or community confidence building. But with Summer Amnesty starting in another thread, I thought what better timing than now to sound the 21 day alarm (for us who probably need it1) after a summer of being slack-happy and too busy to think about ourselves.

And that's what it's really about, right? We're here because we need to put more attention into ourselves. This is the best time possible for that. Kids are going back to school, college classes start so we finally have routine in our lives again. Even if you just internalize this challenge, do it for yourself. I'm ready to rock and roll. 21 day challenge here I come.

Starting: August 21 (Monday)
Ending: September 10 (Sunday)
Challenge: Incorporate some form of fitness into every day. 10 minutes on the stairs? 15 minutes on the treadmill? 45 minutes walking or jogging? 50 minute yoga class? Whatever is healthiest for your body.
Share: Ideas on how to fit in 10-15 minutes here and there every day. It's easy to say we don't have the time, but there are all kinds of ways to get 10 minutes of activity in.

Good luck! It might seem daunting, but it'll feel worth it after 21 days. : We're all here for each other too, so don't let the blues get to you. Miss a day? Don't start lurking and feel embarressed that it happened. We're in this together! No one has to feel bad about anything around here.

I wish you all the best of luck and if you're feeling low on optimisim, I've got enough to share.
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #2  
redhead30

S/C/G: 215/210/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm with you. I've been doing OK with my eating (until today), but I haven't been doing well with exercise. I spent $$ on a treadmill that's sitting conveniently in front of the TV and all it's doing right now is cluttering up my living room. It is so easy for me to just hop on and watch TV since that's what I'm doing anyway. Going through a lot of stress at work right now and all I want to do is veg when I get home.

All that being said - exercise would do a world of good for my mental state about now - not to mention my physical one. I'm committing to 2 miles on the treadmill everyday. Walking/jogging/running - whatever. There's a 10K race I've talked about entering and it's on Nov. 4 - this should give me the kick start I need.

Thanks for the idea!! Talk to you tomorrow - post workout!!
redhead30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #3  

I started the 21 day food challenge today -- and will commit to starting with 10 -15 minutes a day of some type of exercise.

Right now its hard because school is still out and my gym membership has expired. I need to start getting back into something -- but I'll commit to that!

Yeahhh!! Lets make September a fabulous month!
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #4  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Sue- Yeah I've come up with all sorts of reasons why I don't have time or can't do any excerise. I'm kind of exhausted with giving myself excuses. I live in a neighborhood where people walk their dogs 24 hours a day, there's no reason I can't take a jaunt around the block before nightfall. I'm determined to find ways to include movement into my day. I have a $900 elliptical machine I never touch because it's in the non-airconditioned sunroom of my apartment. My excuses suck.

Good luck Redhead, let us know how that works out!
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Sommer - you are such a busy person to begin with. I don't think yours are just "excuses". You've got alot on your plate right now, with your full workload and school schedule! (I'm not discouraging you from exercising, but you shouldn't be so hard on you right now neither!)
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

I like the idea of a challenge and I'm trying to get in 5 days a week of something. I post on the Exercise thread that I'm "training" for the Couch to 5K run that I'll do on October 14. I'm on Week 3 of 9 weeks of training. So far, doing good. But I need to incorporate a couple extra workout days for general fitness so I can get my 5 days in. I'll probably continue to post, though, on the Exercise thread....
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Roller skated for 90 minutes this eve.

Mini Me - I am going to start the couch to 5k also.
Hoping to get my day 1 in on Wed.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Szn - I'm impressed with the roller skating. A few years back I wiped out on my brand new pair of roller blades. Haven't put them back on yet. I can't afford to break anything! If I get some air in my tires, I may try some long bike rides. Good luck on the Couch to 5K - so far it's been really easy and fun. Follow their rules, though, and don't push yourself. Also, find a local 5K race that is 9 weeks out from your start date, sign up and that may help you stay focused. Finding a friend to do this with me also helped. We don't run together, but report our progress. I think via email, we are also getting a little competitive talking about our distance covered and inclines we are using on the treadmill (most mornings we train on treadmills at the gym or home).

JONI
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Yesterday - 1 hr hike straight uphill

Today - I think I am going to blow off the roller skating.
Have major cramps - which explains my desire to curl up on the couch and eat chocolate chips.
Ahhhh - got to love those hormones

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote