Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #1  
I want to loose it all!

S/C/G: 265/230/145

Question About colon cleansing

I have done my homework and research on the new hot topic of colon cleansing. Many health professionals and doctors are recommending it for overwieght pepole, and those with IBS, chronic constipation, and other digestive disorders. They are recommending it because your body's absorbition of calories and nurtients is better when your colon and digestive track are working correcty. https://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html The link I provide here is very graphic, so if you have a weak stomach, I do not suggest reviewing these testimonials or pictures. This pictures show what colon cleansing can do for you. I am a chronic constipation sufferer, so this is something I am seriously considering. Is there anyone who has tried colon cleansing? If so, can you share your story and results with me?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've looked into it and most of the ingredients are easily purchased at a regular store for much cheaper. I highly recommend psyllium husk powder which you will find in colon cleansing products. It is a common ingredient of metamucil but you can also find it in health food stores. Also, I read an article recently that said common products such as lemon juice and garlic can kill parasites in your stomach if you have them.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #3  
it's always something

Colon cleansing has become the latest health scam to hit the marketplace. It's not exactly new, but has lately become more popular, due to the massive marketing efforts of the manufacturers. We've had a LOT of discussions about this in the DIW forum.

The nutshell version: Our colons do not contain toxins and colon cleansing is just a fancy way to get diarrhea and we don't gain any benefit from it.

The longer version: First, someone designed our bodies to be very efficient and we are naturally self cleaning. Eat your daily requirement of fiber and drink you water and voila! You're clean.

Second - The marketers of these products use a lot of scare tactics regarding toxins and parasites and other nasty things that entice us to place our orders as quickly as possible. That's all they are - scare tactics. If you DO have parasites, then you need to see your doctor for an antiparasitic drug and further advice. The term "toxin" is also used very loosely and no one can ever seem to prove what they are. The health experts say it's a myth and a sales tactic. The advertisements can sound so convincing that it's easy to believe them, but that's what good marketing is all about.

What these products will do is cause diarrhea and fluid loss. They won't improve your health. Doctors recommend we eat at least 25 grams of fiber daily, and drink about 8 glasses of water each day, to keep our bowels moving, healthy, and naturally cleansed.

Colon cleansing has the potential to be dangerous, and doctors don't recommend them unless you are preparing for a colonoscopy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...ansing/AN00065

http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsI...ews_detail.asp

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/100/105845.htm

If you are having problems with constipation, you may need to increase the amount of fiber and water you take in. If that doesn't work, see your doctor.

The only recommendations I've found for this type of product/treatment come from the manufacturers or other people with a financial stake in the product. I've not found one valid medical recommendation, as all of the resources I've checked have said it was hooey. Even Dr. Weil, well known for promoting natural products and treatments, says it is not necessary.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Increased fiber and even px strength fiber supplement doesn't work for me. My next step is Zelnorm (for IBS). I'm nervous about yet another medicine added to my regime. Ive had chronic constipation for 7 years (since the birth of my second son). I have increased water, decreased soda, changed my diet in other ways. My colon just doesn't work. I don't know that I would go to an alternative website cuz I know nothing about them. At least not without talking to my doc.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #5  
I want to loose it all!

S/C/G: 265/230/145

Thank you for the info.... I guess colon cleansing is not a healthy thing to do.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #6  

apparently, the pysillium husk powder is basically making a "cast" of your intestine, which is the why it looks like there is so much impacted bad material coming out.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #7  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

OFF TOPIC! Cholie you look like Debbie Gibson in your avatar.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #8  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I'm not an expert by any means, so anyone reading this feel free to totally ignore me- I have also had chronic constipation for about a decade. In a normal person with a healthy digestive tract, colon cleansing would be a totally unnecessary waste of money, and possibly even unhealthy. But chronic constipation is also extremely unhealthy! Our bodies gather the nutrients from foods we eat by being absorbed through the colon and into the bloodstream, so chronic constipation causes a multitude of problems. The obvious is malnutrition and/or slower metabolism, from the improper function of this nutrient absorption process. Moreover, the diet of the average american is not clean, unprocessed, unpreserved foods, so the toxins are not a product of our colons, but a product of what we choose to ingest, which is left in our bodies for an abnormal length of time. A polluted environment in the colon causes an overgrowth of harmful bacteria-not exactly "toxins", but definitely "toxic". If the colon is designed to pass things along to our blood, it makes sense to me that all of the other chemicals in our food could as well, and the longer it's there, the worse it will be. And I havent even touched on the painful topic of hemmorhoids!
Being chronically constipated CAN affect your health-ask any doctor. It causes fatigue, headaches, depression, metabolic problems, foul body odor/breath, unhealthy skin, hair, and nails, and much more. These are not just the result of a physical blockage.
Anyone to whom this problem is new should consult their doctor, try to identify the cause of it, and try to use the suggestions in the previous posts about modifying their diet to correct it. But for me, fiber alone does not work-in fact, it makes the problem worse.
I tried the drnatura product, and it works for me. I got two months worth, and a few days after starting I was going 2-3 times per day, instead of once a week. I stopped 2 weeks into it, because we travelled back to our home state and I didnt bring it with me. During that time was the only time in about 8 years that I went to the bathroom without the aid of some kind of laxative. I haven't finished my supply yet, so I can't attest to lasting effects.
I never had any scary occurances like those pictured on the website, but the incidence of parasitic infection is more than you think. Cambridge University published studies of caucasion children in the U.S., Canada, and Europe that were tested for infection with positive results in different areas ranging from 30%-80%. Not 3rd world countries. The world health organization estimates that 1 in 4 people in the world are infected at any given time, most without symptoms. Not all colon cleanses include anti-parasitic components. I don't think they're necessary if you don't make a habit of eating undercooked meats, you haven't travelled outside the U.S., and you wash your hands regularly.
Yes, you can buy fiber and psyllium husks cheaper than a colon cleanse, but if you check the ingredients on any cleanse, there are much more expensive and hard to find herbs listed. I can't state for a fact that any or all of these herbs are a necessary component, or why they would be effective. But I can say that a cleanse has helped ME, and fiber, psyllium husks, tons of water, exercise, and even laxatives have not.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #9  

If you have chronic diahreah or constipation, ask your doctor to test you for celiac. Both are fairly common side effects, and a change in diet will solve the problem.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just to add to the scam aspect, here's a link to a site which talks about how the psyllium husk creates the illusion of removing nasty bits from our colon.

http://www.rawveg.info/coloncleanse.html

In other words, there may be an alternate explanation for how the product produces such scary looking results, other than the fact that there is nasty stuff needing to be expelled from our bodies.

I actually ran into an infomercial yesterday about colon cleansing and watched it for awhile. I was not surprised by the scare tactics used. Psychologists have found these tactics to be VERY effective, but that doesn't mean truth is being dispensed. They invoke authority, make excellent use of scare tactics, present one-sided arguments and do a lot to create cognitive dissonance (make you feel like a hypocrite if you don't care about your colon). Again, these tactics are very effective in scaring us.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #11  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Psyllium husks do produce some weird results. Psyllium alone has never worked for me-when I was doing Atkins, which can cause problems with constipation due to the lack of fiber in the diet, lots of people on that message board suggested using it because it worked for them. It's made to work by creating soft bulk in the colon that is easily passable, much the way fiber helps.
Psyllium husks are cheap, and so is fiber. Even the rawveg report suggests using them-psyllium doesn't create an illusion, it does help remove waste, and so does fiber.
When I tried to use things like metamucil, psyllium, etc, all it gave me was a stomachache. I still wasnt able to go to the bathroom, so I would just have more bulk built up. The cleanse that I'm using has things in it that also make the bowels contract (hope I'm not being too graphic). There are prescriptions out there that do the same thing, but I'd rather try natural elements before I resort to more drastic measures.
Most people dont need a colon cleanse product, a colonic, or anything more than dietary components. If you eliminate normally, why would you? But anyone who's had the problem I have knows that desperate causes call for desperate measures....
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

using those type of "stimulant laxatives" actually is causing a "rebound" effect on the colon, I work a lot in the endoscopy suite, and have seen the actual results of stimulant laxative aka colon cleansing abuse. There is a condition called melanosis coli, it is actually damage to the colon wall causing it to become black, commonly seen in stimulant laxative abuse. Not only does the intestinal wall turn black, but, it also makes the intrinsic muscle to become more lax, which is what caused the intestine to move slowly in the first place. My experience has been, folks who use stimulant laxatives are very reluctant to stop using them because the constipation that goes along with it is uncomfortable until the colon heals itself into working normally for that person again, ( can take awhile).
The colon absorbs water and , just for clarification, the small intestine is what absorbs the needed nutrients from the food, the large intestine then eliminates the waste product, there are no " toxins in there... the liver and kidneys are what actually "detoxify" the body. The good Lord put our bodies together the way he did for a certain reason, I don't know why, but, I think they work pretty darn good for the most part without our interference. I hope you do your research clearly about the "natural elements" just because it is "natural" doesn't necessarily mean it is good for you to use on a regular basis. heck, Foxglove is a very pretty perennial herb, but it is also a VERY powerful heart medicine, now, you wouldn't mess around with a heart medicine would you? Now, if someone marketed it as something to cleanse your body, would you know that it is a very dangerous drug? This is just a hypothetical question, just for comparison sake, I would more likely go to a dr who has some knowledge of homeopathic remedys than buy something from someone at an herbal store. I always figure, if they are selling something then the opinion they have is biased, but, I am more naturally skeptical anyway. I like drs, and believe they actually got into medicine because they wanted to help people... Anyway, sorry for the soapbox, this is a sore subject with me cause I have seen the damage people do to their bodies inadvertantly. Hope another opinion helps.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/224/175

Height: 5'8

ok i go for colonics quiet a bit.. i LOVE them.. its different to taking duiretics etc. its done by a machine and it cleans u out. I lost a lot of weight after it.

mainly because your colon has pockets and debris gets in there and doesnt come out. when i watched the "cr*p" no pun intended coming out of me i was disgustd. I saw moldy undigested food.. you got to think that ISNT good for you. there was food that i could identify like the girl said to me Hey did you eat carrots i was thinking omg like 5 days ago!!

I know its gross to talk about but now im a beliver in it. AFter watching Dr. Gillian mckeith on You are what you eat.. she recommends EVERYONE does one.

they also look at ur poop to see whats in it if you suffer from yeast etc.

the procedure is 1hr. here is how its done DO NOT READ IF YOUR FAINT HEARTED

They insert a well lubricated tube in your bottom its not huge

you lay comfortably on your back.. the machine starts by putting body temp water through your colon.. you feel as if you need to go to the bathroom.. once the fluid is in.. the stop the machine.. hold it for a moment whilst massaging your colon to get all the stuff loose.. then they hit the release button and there you go!! you see it all come out.

They do this a few times until you feel the water go all the way around your colon.. ITS A GREAT feeling.. and you really feel energetic a few days after it.

just thought id let you know
Old 09-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #14  
it's always something

Jennig, the only weight you lost was solid matter in your intestines, which would eventually move it's way out of your body anyway. Have dinner and you've gained it back. You don't lose any body fat from around your body. I think what you viewed coming out was perfectly normal. We don't normally view our excrement while it's still going through the digestive process when it's covered by strange bacteria and other matter that we don't normally see, lol. So I'm sure the sight was not very appealing, but it was nothing to worry about.

Colonic irrigation can be very dangerous and is usually frowned upon by the medical establishment unless used for specific reasons, such as preparing for medical tests or surgery.

According to WebMD: The dangers, Black says, include spreading infection from contaminated equipment and harmfully altering the chemical balance of the colon. A major function of the colon is to absorb minerals such as potassium and send them through the bloodstream. Colonics could wipe out these minerals and thereby cause deficiencies.

From Harvard:
Colonic irrigation can potentially cause severe adverse effects and must be carefully administered. People receiving frequent treatments may absorb too much water, leading to electrolyte imbalances in the blood, nausea, vomiting, heart failure, fluid in the lungs, abnormal heart rhythms or coma. Infections have been reported, possibly because of contaminated equipment or as a result of clearing out normal colon bacteria. There is a risk of bowel perforation (breakage of the bowel wall), which is a severe complication. Deaths have been reported.

Colonic irrigation should not be used in people with diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, severe or internal hemorrhoids or tumors in the rectum or colon. It also should not be used soon after bowel surgery (unless directed by your health care provider). Regular treatments should be avoided by people with heart disease or kidney disease (renal insufficiency). Be sure that the equipment used is sterile and that the practitioner is experienced. Colonic irrigation should not be used as the sole treatment (instead of more proven therapies) for severe conditions, and it should not delay consultation with a qualified health care provider for a potentially severe symptom or illness.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #15  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyducky View Post
using those type of "stimulant laxatives" actually is causing a "rebound" effect on the colon, I work a lot in the endoscopy suite, and have seen the actual results of stimulant laxative aka colon cleansing abuse. There is a condition called melanosis coli, it is actually damage to the colon wall causing it to become black, commonly seen in stimulant laxative abuse. Not only does the intestinal wall turn black, but, it also makes the intrinsic muscle to become more lax, which is what caused the intestine to move slowly in the first place. My experience has been, folks who use stimulant laxatives are very reluctant to stop using them because the constipation that goes along with it is uncomfortable until the colon heals itself into working normally for that person again, ( can take awhile).
The colon absorbs water and , just for clarification, the small intestine is what absorbs the needed nutrients from the food, the large intestine then eliminates the waste product, there are no " toxins in there... the liver and kidneys are what actually "detoxify" the body. The good Lord put our bodies together the way he did for a certain reason, I don't know why, but, I think they work pretty darn good for the most part without our interference. I hope you do your research clearly about the "natural elements" just because it is "natural" doesn't necessarily mean it is good for you to use on a regular basis. heck, Foxglove is a very pretty perennial herb, but it is also a VERY powerful heart medicine, now, you wouldn't mess around with a heart medicine would you? Now, if someone marketed it as something to cleanse your body, would you know that it is a very dangerous drug? This is just a hypothetical question, just for comparison sake, I would more likely go to a dr who has some knowledge of homeopathic remedys than buy something from someone at an herbal store. I always figure, if they are selling something then the opinion they have is biased, but, I am more naturally skeptical anyway. I like drs, and believe they actually got into medicine because they wanted to help people... Anyway, sorry for the soapbox, this is a sore subject with me cause I have seen the damage people do to their bodies inadvertantly. Hope another opinion helps.
I found your post very helpful, thanks
Closed Thread