Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Diet patches

I'm relatively new to this forum so if I'm in the wrong spot to post this, please forgive me.

I've been trying to find out if those patches really do work. I've tried Hoodia and didn't find much success. However, in all fairness, I can't say I took it everyday. I kept forgetting about it.

Due to recovery from therapy for my knees from the Curve's workouts and plantar fasciitis, walking very far is painful.

I'm just thinking of trying a 30 day supply of the patches.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #2  

I've never heard of diet patches.
But I'd be 99% sure that they DON'T WORK, and I would highly question their safety.

The only thing that works is eating less calories and expending more calories, in whatever healthy fashion you choose.

And, even IF they did work, you likely wouldn't have long term success because it isn't a fix-all, and you STILL would have to change your lifestyle if you don't want the weight to come back.
Might as well do it right to begin with.... forget about pills/patches/promises for miracles etc and really think about what a lifestyle change means for you and what you need to do to make it happen.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #3  
it's always something

It would be nice to think patches were a useful and safe product to help us, but unfortunately they are a scam. The only way they can help is if you use them to tape your mouth shut

Here's a bit of advice from the University of California Berkeley Wellness newsletter that sheds some light on diet patches

Quote:
Q: Can diet patches that you stick on your skin be as good as they claim? B.P., VIA THE INTERNET

A: No, not at all. In spite of heavy promotion on TV, on the Internet, and in a rising tide of spam (unsolicited emails), these products are ineffective and may be dangerous. Sold under such names as Diet Patch, TrimPatch, Hydro-Gel, and MyDiet-Patch, these transdermal patches usually contain Fucus vesiculosus, a brown seaweed also known as bladderwrack. The claim is that the iodine from the seaweed will stimulate the thyroid gland to boost your metabolism and thus burn more fat. Patches may also contain ingredients such as chromium, garcinia, and guarana, for which similar fat-burning claims are made.

Weight-loss products such as ephedra and its variants ordinarily evade the jurisdiction of the FDA because they are classified as "dietary supplements," which are largely unregulated. But the patches get caught on a technicality: they are not taken by mouth, so the FDA classifies them as drugs. As such, they are required to submit evidence of their safety and efficacy, and there is no such evidence. Excess iodine won’t lead to weight loss, though it could lead to thyroid disorders. Most professionals think these patches are about as bogus as bogus can get. The FDA has issued warning letters to several marketers, including TrimPatch, and has seized some products. But sales go on.

Ironically, the patches usually come with weight loss advice: cut calories, get more exercise. That’s what you should do to lose weight, but don’t waste your money or endanger your health with the patches.
Furthermore, studies have shown that the ingredients in the patches aren't even absorbed into the body.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Thank you both for your replies. I know reducing the calories and exercise are key. I was hoping for something to give a bit of a jump start. I'm seeing nothing happening. I don't really get the support at home, so I was grasping.

That is interesting about the iodine.

Thank you again.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #5  
it's always something

The claim is that the iodine from the seaweed will stimulate the thyroid gland to boost your metabolism and thus burn more fat.

That is the reason the patches (and some other diet products) include seaweed (kelp), but there are dangers there as well. If you don't actually have a thyroid problem, you can develop one if you take large amounts of seaweed. The use of iodine to treat thyroid disorders should be under advisement of a physician. According to WebMd, "But excess supplementation of iodine like with health-food supplements can lead to an accelerated hypothyroid state. Although it is true that the thyroid uses iodine to make thyroid hormone, in excess amounts you will shut down and scar your thyroid gland. This character of iodine excess is used as treatment for hyperthyroidism. In a hyperthyroid patient, to quickly make them hypothyroid, excess iodine is frequently used. "

Therefore, treating yourself with kelp supplements may have the opposite effect of what you hoped for!

Sometimes it's better to stick with an old fashioned diet, lol.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

cbmare, sometimes new dieters see what they CAN'T have and that negativity gives them cause for pause. Make a list of all the foods you think you can have that are healthy and would not inhibit weight loss. As always, we have to learn to measure/portion control in the beginning but it gets easier. By telling yourself what you CAN have, enthusiasm actually DOES grow. After you lose your first few pounds from this major change (most lose quite a bit in the beginning), you will feel the motivation you need to keep on. It really is a lot of fun if you treat it like a new hobby you are learning about. Of course sometimes enthusiasm wanes and we have to keep reminding ourselves to keep going (that's my spot right now). One more peice of advice. Don't try to change absolutely everything overnight. It is overwhelming and hard to stick to. Try changing a few things. When you get better at it, add some new habits. Changing your habits is actually more important than losing weight. It will help you keep the weight you lose off for good!
Closed Thread