South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/178/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Phases: Weight Loss

The book says between 6-13 pounds for phase 1. Did you find this to be true?
Also it said 1-2 lbs per week in Phase 2. Did you find that to be true, or did you at some point reach a plateau?
I feel like I can really stick with it. I feel much different about changing my lifestyle and eating. In fact in the past week, I haven't really thought about food. For me that is amazing. I think there are many reasons why. The last few months have had a ton of light bulb moments. I think I am ready and definitely commited.

Also does anyone do Denise Austin from Lifetime?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #2  

I lost 8.6 my first week and so far the second week I think it is less than 1 pound but I try not to step on the scale until my 'official' day cuz the normal day to day ups and downs can get me down.

I also know that 1-2 pounds a week is a normal healthy weight loss for any diet and most diet plans go to that rate after the initial phases where you have a lot of water weight losses which is part of the reason for the higher losses the first couple weeks.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

I lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks and then dropped off because I added phase 2 foods too quickly. Now that I'm more responsible with it I lose about 1 pound a week or every two weeks. It seems slow sometimes but I try to remind myself that this is a lifestyle and the slower weight loss, means the longer I'm adjusting to the lifestyle change and the more likely I am to stick with it. Beside - 4 pounds a month doesn't sound like much unless it's 4 pounds GAINED a month!! I'd rather be losing it!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #4  

Good points. Thanks. I know it is better if it is slower, and I want to do this to be healthy, not just smaller. I guess in some manner, I am just so excited, I want to predict what can't be predicted....meaning will I be a smaller size by my daughter's birthday? Will I reach my goal by my next anniversary, etc?
Plus the more I hear about others' success, it makes it feel more doable to me. I still have such a hard time b/c I picture myself in my head with my old petite body. I am seriously floored when I see a picture of myself now.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

I do the same thing. In fact, when I went to try on wedding dresses it was a shock to me to see that when I put on all that material I just didn't look like myself...it took a few pictures later to realize that THAT was what I looked like then. I found the dress but decided then and there that I WOULDN'T be that size on my wedding day. I would have a waist and torso that didn't look like a blob in it!! It has been hard to be realistic and face the truth about my body and not beat myself up or lose my self esteem. If I pump myself up too much I cross into "well I look so great - I don't need to try so hard..." Not good either.

I really like this program. It has worked well for me. I've had to make modifications based on what my body can and can't do but that's true for everyone. And the more you learn about your body the more power you have over your weight and health. I can't lie to myself. Beans may not be a cheat but if I eat them two days in a row, for me...they are. No matter what a book might say. I KNOW why I'm not losing weight and I can't blame a book. I like that.

Good luck to you!!! Keep posting here! You'll get lots of support and encouragement!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #6  

Hello Bubba -- I found the predictions for phase-by-phase weight loss to be quite accurate. For Phase 1, though, I lost quite a bit more than the 8-13 pounds (I must have had lots of water, since up till last Jan., I ate primarily carbs and crap).

For the majority of time I was in Phase 2, I lost between 1-3 pounds each week.

Also, I have done the Denise Austin workouts, both on DVD and the Lifetime broadcasts. They are decent. Cardio exercises are so-so, strength are better. I find I have to do them without the sound because she puts a little too much enjoyment into her voice while exercising and, in addition to annoying me, I think my roommates might think I'm watching dirty movies.

Good luck with your diet and exercise!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #7  

I think a lot of it has to do with how much you have to lose as well as how you were eating before. I didn't have water weight to lose since I was on a diuretic and I lost 4 pounds in two weeks. I averaged 1-2 pounds in phase 2 but there were times when I would plateau for weeks. That is normal. You may not be losing weight but you might be losing inches.

I'm still not where I would like to be but I'm healthier than before and wear a much smaller size than I did a few years ago.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the input. I am really trying to not step on the scale daily. My monthly fluctuations are huge. I'd rather have a good surprise. I'm keeping a chart of my weight as well as measurements. I want to weigh in once a week and do measurements once a month. I get really bloated when I PMS, and I don't want to get discouraged by my waist measurements.

I only ask about Denise Austin, because I try to do the Daily Workut every morning, and then go to the Gym a few times a week for Cardio. I've found that it helps tone me....however difficult it may be to see my muscle tone. She is really perky, but honestly so many people I work with are negative, it is almost a better attitude to start the day with. The downside is I have no idea how many calories I'm burning. Sometimes she says during the show, but I'm not sure where/how she gets the number, and I don't feel like I am working out at a 300 calorie level.
Closed Thread