South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #1  
Making changes!

S/C/G: 244/237/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Food & Fiber Questions

Hello everyone I have finally moved into the house, and am slowly getting everything unpacked and set up. I soooo can't wait until things are in their place, and regular routines can sneak back in.

Okay... so now that the move is done, my plan is to try SB starting next Monday (28th). I have never tried SB, so I will be doing all I can to plan possible meals and snacks in advance, and keeping SB friendly foods I like ready and available.

Here in Canada, there are not a whole lot of SF options, so I will be heading over to the U.S. this week to do some grocery shopping, in search of some Phase 1 friendly items. Is there anything that you all suggest or recommend at all?

As for fiber, I read in the book something about taking a fiber supplement (such as Metamucil) 15 minutes before meals helps in various ways. Does anyone do this, and if so, which products do you find the best, as far as ease of use is concerned?

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and help up to date. Mentally, I have been preparing myself for this major lifestyle change for a few weeks. With any luck, I will be able to stick it out and make the most of what this program has to offer, for my health and my weight.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #2  

Chal!
I know how you feel about moving... Here's a link to the EMergency Handbook for Phase 1 that includes the Food list for Phase 1 to help get you started... And we do have folks that use Metamucil or SF benefiber..Ilike the chewables, some take a glass of metamucil with their meals...Good luck!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #3  

Welcome to the beach! You might look for some sugarfree syrups. DaVinci is a good brand. I also like Sugar Twin Brown Sugar substitute but you can make your own using Splenda and SF maple syrup. I imagine you can find the natural peanut butter (just ground up peanuts) but that is a staple. In phase 1 you will want to get lots of high fiber foods like black beans. You will also need to make sure you get dairy. I add some DaVinci syrup into a glass of skim milk or flavor plain fat free yogurt for phase 1. I use Splenda and cinnamon.

I still have a glass of SF Metamucil (I use the powder) with my breakfast each morning. Even though I eat a lot of vegetables with fiber, I think it helps.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Chal!

Glad that you're doing prepwork to get things in place before you start...that helps head you towards success!

I found that the metamucil gave me a lot of gas, so I try to eat a lot of foods with fiber (like beans in P1, and Fiber One in P2), and I take a stool softener (with my doctor's okay) to help with any, um, 'lack of regularity.'

I second Barb on Sugar Free syrups...they're a staple for me. I use them in yogurt, in coffee, in homemade hot cocoa, in recipes, etc. Is Splenda (or your sugar substitute of choice) readily available where you are? If not, you might try getting some of that. I'm a big fan of the Eat Well Be Well products because they don't have sugar alcohols. I get mine online at www.netrition.com because they're cheaper there than at my grocery store, but I don't know if they ship to Canada. Finding a good sugar free maple syrup helps...when a recipe calls for brown sugar, you can substitute half Splenda (or your sugar sub. of choice for baking) and half SF maple syrup.

For Phase 2, you may find it helpful to have Sugar Free pudding mixes in the house...they are also good for recipes, making homemade ice cream, etc. I'm a big fan of Hershey's Sugar Free Hot Fudge--it doesn't have Malitol in it, which tends to make me crave.

While in the States, you might also look for good whole wheat breads...you can always freeze them when you get home. On SBD, I use such small amounts of bread that freezing them is the best option. That way, I have a lot of choices when I want some and they stay fresh. I really like Thomas' Square 100% Whole Wheat bread...it's like a combo of bread/roll and a bagel. Yummy!

Glad to have you with us, hon! Look forward to hearing about your success! :
Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #5  

There are certain things I stock up when I go to certain stores even here. Certain stores have certain types of whole wheat pasta. I can now get the penne at my store but I used to have to go to a different one. I still go to a different store for ww egg noodles or lasagne and I order from Hodgson Mills website a couple of times a year to buy things like bowtie pasta that the stores don't stock.

Good suggestion on the pudding mixes, Laurie! Not every store has every flavor either.

You might also check to see what your store has as far as other bread type products. I sometimes have trouble finding the good pita bread, hamburger buns or english muffins. In Texas tortillas are usually easy to find but they might not be farther north.

I also have to hunt to find sugarfree catsup and barbecue sauce. I learn what I can buy where and then I occasionally stop and stock up.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/178/150

Height: 5'2"

I use Fibersure for extra fiber. It is the consistency of sweet and low, but it is totally tastless and can be disolved into coffe, tea, food. I've even put it in water and can't tast it. It's 5 grams of fiber per spoonful.
Splenda is my life saver! I hate the taste of Sweet and low. I don't mind Equal, but I prefer splenda.
Closed Thread