South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212//196/150

Height: 5' 1"

Default Newbie with questions

Hi, everyone,
I started the program today with my husband. I have a couple of questions. I bought the book but it seems from the site here that some things have changed from the book. I wonder where this change information is at and why don't they reprint the book with the changes. I actually tried the program when it first came out but was so confused by the book. I am grateful to find this site with the page about how to adapt the program to meals. It was just what I needed. The recipes are great but without the meal guidelines, it was just overwhelming. I also live on a small island in the Bahamas and just could not find the ingredients for the recipes. I think this time I will succeed.

Do most people here just post here or are there advantages to joining the SB online program that you pay for?

Karen
Old 08-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #2  

Island Girl!! If you check out the Frequently Asked Questions section of our forum you will find updated food lists. Make sure to check the recipe section as well, as there are some tasty ones listed.

I think that there are some people that subscribe to SBD online, although I don't. I find more than enough support and information right here.

Good luck to you!!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #3  

Island girl! There is a 2nd edition of the book, but like Kiko said, we have the revised food list in the FAQ section..

Seems folks have tried the paid site, but end up here We have lots of support, and wise chicks to help us here!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #4  

Thank you, Schatzi! I tend to agree. I did purchase the FitDay program suggested in a previous post though. I LOVE IT! I spent the whole afternoon logging in foods, exercise, custom foods, etc. I like working on the computer and this gives me a perfect avenue for keeping a food journal. If I have to record it, I will have to own it!

One thing that came up today when I was logging in my foods was the imitation crab I had for lunch. Whoa! I didn't know it had so many carbs. Well, it went into the trash right away.

I am also going to stay off the scale. I got on today and it was 1 lb. heavier since my day one on SBD! I feel better. I am eating better and I feel more in control. So I am not going to worry about it.

I have a question about going from phase 1 to 2. If I am eating 1200 calories now a day on Phase 1, it seems like it is going to be hard to balance high calorie carbs/carbs when I can add more things to my diet. I guess that is where FitDay will come in handy. Are there any pointers on the forum for the transitioning from Phase 1 to 2?

Karen S.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #5  

I my Fitday too Island Girl... Instead of adding more food, try replacing a food with a phase 2 item. Most find that if they add one phase 2 item a week back into their eating they can better gauge the effect it has on them. For example, some of us are very carb sensitive.. some have adapted a Phase 1.5 approach, where we eat most all phase 1 and 1 or 2 phase 2 items.
For example, some miss bread so add back a WWheat english muffin, but find if they eat more bready carbs it stalls their weightloss or causes a gain. Some find it causes cravings for more more more..so they nix it all together... Others can't do fruit or find if they eat it in the morning, they crave more sweet things all day...so each of us is unique! Just gotta experiment!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #6  

You want to really take it slow when you go to phase 2. Just try one new food the first week and see how your body reacts. I eat quite a bit of fruit and find that what I have to limit is the amount of whole wheat pasta and bread that I eat. I limit pasta to twice a week and I eat tortillas more than regular bread. Everyone is different though. And if I slack off on my exercise, I gain even if I'm eating healthy.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #7  

Thank you, Barb and Schatzi,
I think I have a good idea now of the next stage. I miss my steel cut oats for breakfast and will try them first or maybe it is my glass of red wine at dinner. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

It is day 3 now though and I am feeling very good. I am thrilled to see my snack crazings go away. I have been plagued by them this summer with so much travel.

With FitDay, I saw last night that I had not hit 1200 calories in the day, so I had a mozz cheese stick. Is that a good idea to eat something healthy to add a few calories before bed time when you have not met the minimum calorie quota ?

Karen S.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #8  

You done good Island girl It's a dieting myth about eating after a certain hour or right before bed time... Sometimes I have a hard time hitting 1200.. which allows me to have more of what I like.. I'm a big bean salad and chili lover..so I'll have a bigger portion of it. I also found a way to on Phase 2 to get a more healthful breakfast - I make a berry smoothie with yogurt/skim milk, a cup of frozen blue or strawberries and a scoop of Genisoy protein powder.. so yummy and healthy! Steel Cut oats is so healthy for you full of fiber and slow good carbs!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #9  

Yes, before Phase 1, my husband made the oatmeal with the steel cut. He has great way of combining it with fruit and Splenda, yummy. We added NF yogurt instead of milk. We will have to adapt the recipe when we go to Phase 2 to account for the fruit. He makes up enough for about four days and reheat it in the microwave. He cooks it a long time and says it is really very little oats.

The smoothie sounds delicious. I will certainly try that one.

Karen S.
Closed Thread