Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 12:00 PM   #1  

Default Cows with insomnia

Have you figured out anything Peaches? I didn't give her anything, so I feel like a louse. She is a friend who happens to also do my nails. So she is not just the nail lady. We're going to her house on Saturday for a party so I have a chance to redeem myself. I was thinking of a pot of paperwhites. Why don't you sleep on it, Peachers, and let me know what you think?

I took the day off work yesterday and went shopping. I picked the rainiest, stormiest day of the year. I had the new drowned rat look goin' on. DS has asked for a Playstation II. I can't believe what they are asking for this thing. It's a lousy game for goodness sake! DD wants pearl earrings with a tiny diamond. That was easier. She also asked for plain white sheets and a white duvet cover. This is my girl who used to wear nothing but black with a studded collar.

I don't like to start new threads because I can't remember what we were all talking about. Refresh.

Lushy, we haven't heard the test results yet.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:06 PM   #2  

Default more blathering

My bil works for Portland Bottling Co, our local distributor of 7-up. They've filed for bankruptcy (the company) and not only was he laid off, but he found out his paycheck for the previous 2 weeks is worthless. They let them work for the last 2 weeks all the while knowing that they had no money to make payroll. And to top it off, he can't file for unemployment for those weeks because he worked. My poor sis is beside herself. They were kinda strapped for money anyway and now this right before Christmas. ho-ho-ho
Old 12-14-2001, 05:32 PM   #3  
Member w/ messiest house

Default That is soooo mean!!

If they had just laid them off earlier, they could have collected unemployment? That is the rottenest thing I've heard since, well, since yesterday when I listened to the Osama tape.

He may have some recourse -- when we had a major layoff back in the old days when I worked (of course I was one of the layoffs) the state declared it something to do with foreign competition and gave everyone an extra 6 months of unemployment comp. Seems like the state ought to be willing to work with the laid off workers in your bil's case, too. Although it would probably involve taking them to court, which costs money. And you never get anything out of it for months or years. Never mind.

Actually my DH is involved in a lawsuit against the former owner of his company over retirement benefits. In fact, he is the one who initiated it. It's a major big deal. We just got a big envelope in the mail yesterday with a bunch of court documents. He has a lawyer in Michigan or something working on it who is working on a contingency basis, so we don't have to pay unless and until there's a payoff. He had filed a complaint a couple years ago which the company paid off on -- everyone in the same situation as DH got a nice fat check. But this suit involves a different issue and probably an even fatter check if we win. Cool, huh? I'm married to a rabble rouser.

I thought I posted some suggestions for your nail lady, Wabby. I don't know where they went. Anyway here are my worst ideas:

breathmints
wart remover
hairnet
Lee Press On nails

Okay, I do have an idea. Get her a bracelet. I don't know why I think that's a good idea, but I do.

Going to a party tonight. Everybody have a happy.

Kiwi
Old 12-14-2001, 06:48 PM   #4  

Default Good suggestions, Kiwi

I loved your ideas. I'm back here again avoiding doing the rest of my Christmas cards. I have some for you cows too. Once again I intended to include pictures but since I've spent the entire year avoiding cameras I wasn't able to. I tried to take a self portrait with the polaroid here in the office, but I'm out of film. OK. I've got to get something done. That must be where you all are.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:50 PM   #5  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Default only a one margie night

only time for one margie---had to go to me sister's and get her mantles decorated[THREE of them] They look quite darling---one is a country theme,the others are more formal---she has a five foot by three foot guilded mirror over one mantle,so I put a giant wreath{pine,cedar,fur,blue spruce--and holly sent from Lynnie in BC} over it.loverly!!!!I have been working at ds's school all week on the school play backdrop and making christmas ornament s and WHATEVER!!!I am so busy that I can't see straight.just thought I would come here and complain,and say hello to all you tramps----I wonder how old Frappe is doing.I miss her yakkin.KIWI!!!! a new computer---if it is a Dell,Peachers will pitch a hissy SUGAR!!! we usually have your cold weather,but as Kiwi will attest---it has been postively balmy here!!!Hi Wabby!!!off to bed---night cow-ows!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 08:48 AM   #6  
*kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

Default poor wabby's sis

There are some cold people in this world even in America.

Paperwhites are ok if you can't find anything else like a hand-made angel shaped wood box witha quilted top showing the angel details. Fill it with breath mints.

Herbie has a new computer, snotty old Bagz. It's the (he says) top of the line HP. HP. That's HP as in not Dell. Oh, the shame.

Somebody rouse Lush.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:40 AM   #7  
Most boring housewife.

Default I'm here

viewing as usual
I have an opinion regarding present. A massage.

My nails look terrible. I think I will get them done for Christmas.

I have heard nothing from biopsy. It has been over a week. My mother took DES so I am a little concerned since the pap showed the kinds of cells that are associated with DES related problems.

Brand New Christmas Display Alert!!!!!
I have a 3 foot pass through between the kitchen and the family room. I have set up a villiage with angel hair(the real stuff) and little houses. Today I will go buy an "n" guage train for it. It will be adorable.

I don't think I am sending Christmas Cards...dont' be offended. Please send some to me anyway.

XXOO
Old 12-16-2001, 04:34 PM   #8  

Default No offense taken

Hi Cowsies, Christmas cards are entirely optional. We know it is no reflection of the affection you have for us, Lushy.

We got our tree yesterday. It is still out in the barn waiting for DH to put it in the stand and bring it in for decorating. He is being especially Scrooge-like this year, but to give him credit, he's just totally overwhelmed with life right now. We went to my friend's open house yesterday, which he griped about all day, but he had a good time in spite of himself. He's having a hard time with the no smoking policy most people have at their homes. Maybe it will get to be too much of a hassle and he'll quit. They just passed a law here that there is to be no smoking in any places of employment. That means he can't even go stand out in the shop and smoke anymore. Yea.

OK, cows, I've got to get the rest of my Sunday stuff done. I just had to stop in here and I had to check and see what's going on. Bagzie, the mantels sound beautiful and ditto for Lushy's village. Toodles.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:59 PM   #9  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Wow, Wabby

We are married to the same person! We went out and bought a tree yesterday and it's still in the barn waiting for DH to get it ready to bring inside. Of course, I still have to clear out a corner for it in the livingroom. And mine still smokes too. Yep, same guy.

You will all get something from me, they may or may not look like christmas cards, we'll see. And who knows when? Actually Sugar will get hers first, so don't blab, sweetie.

Great party Friday night, except it made me feel mucho inferior for not having my house decorated (but then, whoever heard of decorating a dump?

Saturday night we got to go to the B. B. King concert! It was soo good -- he was just awesome!!!!!! Amazing voice, amazing guitar playing, great band behind him. And he's just this very cool old guy, too. I hope you are all suitably jealous. On our way out of the parking lot, the car in front of us was from N. Brunswick. I'm sure it was Bagz, but she didn't wave.

Lush, the little scene in the passthrough sounds absolutely adorable. Can I come see it? Oh, that's right, I'm not going anywhere for Christmas. Poor me. Yesterday while picking up DD at the inlaws, I forced a break with tradition. I'm so brave. Everybody had been complaining about too much turkey at Thanksgiving and how maybe at Christmas we'd have ham. Well, I asked mil if I could bring a spiral sliced ham for Christmas dinner. And she took me up on it! Lo and behold, it's a Christmas miracle! Guess I'll have to cook it, but at least nobody would dream of actually having it at my house, so we'll just haul it to their house.

Nope, it's not a Dell. DH picked up one of those cheap eMachines. Seems to be all right. Only thing I object to is we have to have Windows XP on it. Blecch. We're still having trouble with the 2 computers networked together, but I guess it's nearly working right.

Bagz, your sissy's mantles sound breathtaking. You spoke too soon on the weather. It got cold on Saturday. We have an inch or two of snow on the ground, which is nice, but brrrrrr.

I dropped a bit of tortilla chip down between the k and l of my keyboard. Oops.

Tata cowsies

Kiwi
Old 12-17-2001, 08:58 PM   #10  
Most boring housewife.

Default People cook ham?

I thought you were supposed to go to Heavenly Ham www.heavenlyham.com/corporate/index.asp to get the spiral sliced hams. I'll bet they have mail order. You need to think about this. If you cook and do a good job, then everyone will always expect you to cook.
I got my results. They are not terrible but not great. I think I can get by with being turned upside down and having that freezy thing done.
I haven't finished decorating and I don't think I am going to. I've done enough. There are no Christmas cards in my future. I am using the excuse of no one wanting mail from central NJ.
Absolutely Fabulous is on in a few minutes. gotta go.

Last edited by Lush; 12-18-2001 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:54 PM   #11  
cow with the double chin

Default Lush........

Sending you positive thoughts that the freezey thing brings around great results!

Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year full of wonderful memories with your families to the rest of you bovines !!!!

~Muffie
Old 12-18-2001, 06:43 AM   #12  
fatter than U

Talking I'll never blab!

Thanks, Kiwiiiiiii!

Hi Muffie! A very Merry Christmas to you too. Hope Santa leaves something special in your stocking (a rich lawyer, perhaps? )

I am fatter than fat. Mini M&Ms are my downfall. They are so adorable. And crunchy.

Sugar Lump
Old 12-18-2001, 01:42 PM   #13  

Default I really can't think of one

Hi Cowsies. Lushy, I couldn't tell - is being turned upside down and frozen a good thing? The mail from NJ excuse is a good one. You could send Christmas emails. Unless you send a virus along with it, that would probably be safe. Or you could just tell us here how you adore us.

Kiwi, DH told me yesterday that he's going to stop smoking "very soon" (don't know exactly what that means) because "it just isn't any fun anymore". Non smokers who live with smokers are saints, aren't we?

Hi Muffie, merry Christmas to you too!!
How is life as an ace paralegal?

Sugar, I hear that the calories in those mini m&m's are almost non existant, because they're so small. I keep getting into the Christmas stocking candy. I'm such a bad Santa's helper.

I went down and bought DH the truck yesterday. It's being lettered today. He'd better adore me. Car salemen are scary ppl. They keep trying to switch you around until you get confused and sign anything just to get away from them.

I'm duly jealous of the BB King concert, Kiwi. I can't remember the last concert I went to.

See yas, I should be working.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:31 PM   #14  
Member w/ messiest house

Default MMMMMMMMMMM&MMMMMMMMMMMs

YUMMMMMMMMMM

Hey Muffie! How's the punkin? And the big kid? And all your sundry relatives? Hope you all have a great Christmas.

Yeah, Lush, I was wondering the same as Wabbit -- this is a good thing, this turning you upside down and freezing? I hope so. Will you be thawed out by New Year's?

Congrats on buying that truck, Wabbit. You are so brave to do that. I can't stand dealing with car dealers either. That's why I got married, wasn't it?

Where's the Peachster?

Oh, by the way, the Baguettes have somehow managed to send out a virus (not from Bagz' computer), so if you, mainly meaning Peaches you, are in their address book (my DD was), watch out!

Gotta go, DD needs computer. Apparently 2 computers aren't enough either...

Kiwi
Old 12-18-2001, 08:40 PM   #15  
Most boring housewife.

Default The freezy thing

Here is what they do........they put you on an operating table and put you to sleep. Then, once you are asleep, they turn the table so that your head is pointing down....at about a 45 degree angle. Then they go in through your belly button and freeze everything that has nasty stuff on it. I was a DES baby(a drug women took in the 50's to prevent miscarriage, but which ended up being carcinogenic) so I have had this before. It is not painful. The alternative is a hysterectomy. That is bad, though I hear that they do that through the belly button now, too.
Some would think, as I did last time I had this done in 1990, that it would be a perfect time to have one's tubes tied...which I did. As we all know, I have a child born in 1992, so I'm just relieved that the freezy thing lasted longer than the tube tie....and what would the world be like without my holy terror, DS9????????
I am not eating Christmas candy....because I am not organized enough to have bought Christmas candy yet.
I am still not finished shopping. I am not ready. Shame, shame, shame.
Sugar, please tell me about the card....PLEASE.
Gotta go, bye
Closed Thread