Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Default Your Favorite Foods for Weight Loss

Since some of us seem to be stuck, or our motivation waning, I thought we could list some of the foods we can't live without during our journey, and especially those that help jump start us when things slow down.

When I was stalling out, my COD manager gave me a few ideas. Here are her ideas, and how I used them...

Egg Beaters - She was very specific about using that brand name. I got the cheese and chive ones and I would bring them to work in a plastic bowl and microwave them at work, put on a LaTortilla Factory tortilla (green onion one tasted best) with a slice of RF cheese. I would have this with a fruit, which I had to eat first because I am bad about getting my fruit in. So this was 1/2P, 1/2D, 1S, 1Fr. I found this worked better when I was on red because of the extra S and 1/2P.

Tuna - 1 can of tuna in water mixed with 1T RF mayo, some onion, Morton's lite salt, pepper, and then a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder and paprika (this makes a no-salt version of McCormick's chicken seasoning). I put this in the food processor and make it nice and smooth, and you don't notice you only have 1T of mayo. If I'm at home, I will split a 4" pita and put it on each side with a slice of RF cheese (or 1 slice for two halves if I had my cheese at breakfast) and broil for a few minutes for a tuna melt. Also, you can put it in a tortilla.

Tilapia - This one sounds weird, but it is so good. Sprinkle the tilapia with Mortons, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Spray a pan with Pam and heat over med-high heat. Put in fish to brown. Before flipping the fish, put Pam on top of the fish so the second side gets nice and brown. When it's done, top with 1T horseradish sauce and 1 oz. Kraft Grated Parmesan 2% Cheese. I usually serve with sauteed mushrooms and either broccoli, zucchini or onions. I don't miss the extra starch because the portion is so big. But... if I do want something, I make some instant brown rice and throw in a packet of the no sodium chicken broth for flavor and serve along the fish, and sprinke a little of the cheese from the fish on the rice too.

Anyone else want to add?
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #2  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

String cheese- I could snack on string cheese all day long. If I don't have time for breakfast, I always grab my string cheese and eat it in the car.

Ground turkey- I can figure out a way to throw it together into anything. Especially open faced turkey burger melts and turkey meatloaf. These two foods keep me from feeling like I'm on a diet.

Edemame- On my days off I *hate* making lunch. I just want to relax. So edemame is an awesome lunch treat for those days.

My favorite products:
Dasani, SF jello cups with a dollop of SF whip cream on top. Tastes like a parfait! VFusion when I'm running around. Mrs Dash's seasonings and marinades. KC BBQ Low Cal sauce. Splenda's Brown sugar. Smart Balance Mayo. Heinz No Sodium tomato sauce.
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Sommer - Can you share your turkey meatloaf recipe in the recipe forum? The recipe DH likes is loaded with breadcrumbs, eggs, other stuff.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #4  
plan 2 with lites

S/C/G: 194/178.6/145

Like Sommer, I have to have my string cheese! If I have a yogurt (rarely) for my dairy the string cheese seems to call me from the fridge
Other things I need to have are my Black Cherry Vanilla diet cokes and extra gum for my sweet cravings. Strawberries sliced up with splenda is my favorite fruit.. tastes like strawberry shortchake
I like to use ground buffalo for chili, its very lean and to me tastes best, so gotta have that in the house.
Sommer, what is Edemame?
heather314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #5  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Edemame are soy beans. You can buy them in the pods are already depodded. I like them in the pods. You throw them into boiling water for 3-5 minutes, drain. As they are steaming hot you sprinkle a little morton's salt on them, although you'll never actually eat most of the salt so I wouldn't count it as your daily salt intake. Most of the salt sticks to the outside. You pop the pods open and eat the beans inside. The beans are very sweet and I like eating them sort of like popcorn while I'm watching tv. They are a protein source and if I remember correctly 2 cups is 1 protein.

Cassi- Sure I'll share the meatloaf recipe. My recipe contains 1 small egg right now but I'm going to try making it with egg substitute sometime soon. I use 2 slices of 9 grain healthy choice bread. I don't eat the entire meatloaf myself so I don't count it as me eating 2 slices of bread. I use the 9 grain because it has a very sweet flavor to it which gives the meatloaf that sweetflavor we love in meatloaf. I think it goes further to the flavor than plain old breadcrumbs.
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #6  
Scottish Lass

S/C/G: 265/247/140

Height: 5'5'"

Default Nayonnaise

Have any of you tried Nayonaisse? This stuff is delicious and this from a mayo-aholic. As a kid a big treat for me would be to eat a teaspoon of mayo right from the jar when my mom wasn't looking.

Anyway, it's a soy product and one that I've added to my diet to help with my cholesterol. I did LA a few years ago and my cholesterol dropped 60 pounts in ten weeks and I'm convinced it was from the LA lites and the soy I added to my diet.

See ya, Deb
reddeborah is offline   Reply With Quote