Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Thumbs up OMG Huge NSV (at least for me)!

I don't know what happened today but something clicked in my head. I had been wanting to go to Walmart since last night and I had plans on going after work today. SO, I drove. Doesn't sound like much right? Except for the fact that I'm 20 years old, only have a permit, and this is the FIRST time I have EVER driven by myself on regular streets! I've always been so afraid. I got my permit when I was like 16 but was so tense that no one wanted to teach me how to drive. When I returned home a few months ago from California, my best friend Nik started letting me drive around my neighborhood when she came over so I could get the 'feel of the wheel'. Everyone believed that I wasn't ready for driving on regular streets with actual cars, and definitely not ready to do busy intersections and such but I did all that today! Not only that, I went to Walmart and I actually parked and backed out afterwards without hitting anything! In all I drove all through Birmingham and Bessemer: I went to the Walmart, Rallys, my dad's house, and the gas station. I took different ways going to and from. I was going regular speed, no one was honking at me or trying to pass me cause I was too slow, I wasn't followed or pulled over by the cops, and I didn't hit anyone/thing! YES! Like I said, I don't know what clicked. I just got in my mama's car and left the parking garage without a thought. I do remember that the whole time I kept thinking of Mrs. Frizzle (from the Magic School Bus...I know, I'm such a kid!) and her saying 'Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy!' And I took a chance and I came out on top (thank GOD! My mama would have KILLED me if I had messed up her car!). Now I feel so.....normal. And confident. That's one goal out of the way!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Hey, congratulations! That sounds like a pretty big deal...and the first time out there alone is SCARY! Proud of you.
AmberKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Oh gosh, congratulations. I got my permit the week after i turned 15. And ill go for my drivers test the week after i turn 16, which is Sept. 1st of this year. See, they only give drivers/permit test on Wednesdays, and my last birthday was thursday, so, naturally, my next will be on a friday.I was TERRIBLE at driving when i first started, but i learned very quickly. Now, i am trying to tackle driving a stickshift. You know, ill sit there and watch my mom and listen to her explain it, and it all seems so easy. Then, you get behind the wheel and the clutch, your foot, and the gas pedal dont want to cooperate with each other. Well, my only problem is getting started out, which i am not even that bad at in the first place. I am fabulous at everything else...lol! But i am getting SO much better at it, so i hope i can drive the truck after i get my license. Its actually my brothers truck, but he gave it to me because he is in the Marines now.

But my mom wouldnt even let me drive in to town by myself to get a soda because she was afraid the cops would pull me over or something, and i wouldnt be able to get my license until i was 18. (I live in the country, but the "town" consists of 120 people, there are hardly ever any cops there! lol) So its a huge thing for me to drive alone. I just feel really...independent. Like i dont need my mom to schlep me around or anything.

Good luck with your driving!! Just think once you get that license, you wont have to deal with any more tests or anything.

Last edited by cardsfan2009; 08-16-2006 at 03:44 PM.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #4  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

Good for you!
Congrats
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations and WTG. What a special NSV. It will help you so much in expanding your independence. I am happy for you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I have 2 driving stories. HAHAHAHA! I have many but I stay with 2.

My first time in a car with my mom she heavily stressed that the most important thing is to stay on your side of the road. Well then we approached a construction site and a worker was in the middle of the road. I kid you not..but I tried to go AROUND the guy while staying in my lane! My mom grabbed the steering wheel. The most important rule of the road...use common sense.

I saw a yield on green. I went through a driving class wihtout an interpreter. I didn't know what it meant but green meant GO. So I was turning my wheel and stepped on the gas and my mom slammed the dash (broke it) causing me to stop. I almost ran into an incoming path of cars. Rule number 2: Read your rules of the road book.

Those are FUNNY stories and meant to be interpreted as such.

Have fun. You will do fine. We all start somewhere.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #7  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

Thanks you all! I drove again today....this time I went on the other side of town to Homewood. Everything went fine.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

That's great! I totally remember the fear of first starting out! The first time I drove I freaked out because *gasp* another car was coming, in their lane, at a decent speed...lol. I think my mom would have yelled at me to keep going if she could have drawn a breath between gales of laughter.

It becomes so much easier, and you might even grow to enjoy it! If I get mad I love to get behind the wheel, hit a country road and just drive. Might not sound safe, but I don't drive wrecklessly...it's just relaxing to me.

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #9  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

My best friend told me that she can't wait till I get tired of driving. LOL