Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Sugar-free Cocktail Sauce

My hubby and I wanted to have some shrimp cocktail for dinner but I'm on day 6 of phase 1 so I know cocktail sauce is not allowed. Does anyone have a good recipe for a sugar-free version? I was thinking of making one with tomato paste, horseradish, splenda and garlic powder, salt and pepper. What do you think? Thanks!
suemazrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #2  

Cocktail Sauce Phase I or II [posted by kimmipoo47]

1/2 cup sugar free catsup
2 teas. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. Horseradish (drained)
1 teas. Lemon juice
1 Tbs. Tomato paste

Hope this helps
Chari
Sb-diet-plan
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #3  
kpw

I made this one to bring with shrimp to a Christmas day dinner. It's a recipe from Emeril, slightly modified by moi - it was *really* good:

1 cup tomato sauce (s/f)
1/2 t celery salt
1/4 t paprika
1 TB finely chopped sweet onion or shallot
1TB Splenda
2 TB fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons drained, prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Pinch cumin
Pinch salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My absolute favorite shrimp cocktail is one I've had at mexican restaurants, and I duplicated it very closely at home.

Cold, cooked shrimp
Pace Picante sauce or fresh salsa from the deli
Tomato Juice
cilantro
onion
avocado (optional - I don't often use at home, because husband doesn't eat it, and then I'm left with most of an avodcado).
a little lemon or lime juice (also optional)

If using fresh salsa and it has a lot of onion and cilantro you don't have to add extra, same if it is tart, don't use the lemon or lime.

Basically you mix the salsa into the shrimp, making sure you have enough to cover the shrimp. Thin it with a little tomato juice (restaurants serve it very soupy like gazpacho, but I usually don't add that much). And add the other ingredients to taste. If you use avocado, use about 1/8 or less person (or figure in the fat and calories into your plan). Dice it small and stir it in.

You can spice it up with cayenne or tobasco and add a little splenda if it is too tart.

I know it's not a very precise recipe, but it is so awesome. In it's simplest form I have just mixed shrimp into deli fresh salsa. It is really good, and a nice change of pace from the horseradish classic (which I love too).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote