Old 08-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/186/155

Height: 5'9"

Default Have To Make It This Time

I am new to 3fc and have loved reading through all of the posts. I have gone up and down the scales I don't know how many times. It seems like I can't wait to get to my goal so I can reward myself with what else ---FOOD. What's up with that? Anyway, I have always said that it was not hard for me to lose weight, it was the maintaining that I still have not had the inner strength to do. This issue has really humbled me. I have always thought of myself as a strong person. I have armed myself with a ton of knowledge on nutrition, fitness, etc. But this sick weakness to food must be a curse passed down from generations. I am a Christian and believe that the Lord can and will help with anything we give over to Him completely. I guess this is an issue I haven't done that with. I have no other addictions, but this one. I love healthy foods and bad foods alike. I just eat too much. So portion control is what I am focusing on. I believe that I can get to my goal weight ... but this time I am going to admit that I am a weenie and reach out for support to help keep it off.

It is strange that when I was in my 20's staying thin was not hard ... vanity drove that bus. However, in my 30's, married with a son, that motivation has left me. This new determination is born out of the desire to want to take back control. Feeling good about myself again. Not for vanity's sake, but for my own mental well-being. Anyone relate?
EverHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #2  

Portion control is my enemy! And I am part of the 'Clean your plate Club'. These two aspects really mess up my diet when I go out to eat--which I really love doing. And just like you, I love healthy food and bad food. I also have the tendency to have binge attacks--and these scenes are HORRIBLE! And just like you, I consider myself as being a strong person, but for some reason I continuely allow food to control me, when I should be controlling it! But I have learned to take it one meal and one day at a time. Good Luck!
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #3  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

S/C/G: 162/152/135

Height: 5'5"

Hey there Everhopeful. I can totally relate. I am a Christian too, and one thing that I tell myself is that gluttony is just as much a sin as anything else. I hadn't thought of this as a generation curse before, that gives me something to think about. I'm trying to stop thinking of food as an "addiction" It seems by saying this, I'm giving "food" power over me.

Well, welcome to 3FC
wannaBsize7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I can kind of relate to the food issues....I seem to be taking 1 step forward and atleast 2 back all the time and I just cannot seem to figure out why I do this!? I have been lifting weights trying to tone and build muscle to help with the fat burn, I am getting back into my cardio workouts, but I just cannot seem to get control over my eating! I do fantastic one day, following healthy guidlines, then the next day I do something foolish like eat a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich, then some chips. I did these things today and did not even enjoy it! I wish I could figure out why I do this to myself.

I feel So Great about my accomplishments on the days that I eat healthy and do not overindulge, so WHY do I buy things that I know will not help me meet my goal?? I do not even keep the junk food in our home because I know that I have weak moments, but get me into a store and I will buy a single serving of something oh-so-yummy and BAD for me, then I end up like this, beating myself up over it.....

Tammy, I am where you are...I need to take back control so I can feel good about myself and keep my sanity. By the way, Is your avatar picture the little boy from A Christmas Story~about the little red rider?

Darcy
nail-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #5  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Darcy, My husband bought me a hersheys bar yesterday. I ate 4 squares, and put the rest in the freezer. Today, I was on the prowl, I felt like I had to have something, but I didn't know what. I did well though, till I was fixing supper, and I got out that bar. It was just what I was craving. I ate 8 squares. I wasn't even thinking of that bar all day. I guess I gotta stay away from that stuff all together. I've heard that High fructos syrup is like a drug, I am begining to believe it. I still wish that I could have more control over my food, not the other way around.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail-lady
By the way, Is your avatar picture the little boy from A Christmas Story~about the little red rider?
I do not know what movie it is from, but it just made me laugh. It reminds me of how I am with food sometimes. Just stuffing it all in there. And when I am hungry enough, I feel like I can eat a hockey puck!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #7  

Wannabe~I know exactly how that feels! You definately had much more self control that I would have...that hershey's bar would have been screaming my name all day until I finally ate the rest of it!

I think that you are right about the high fructose corn syrup, and I am amazed at just how many foods that is in that I was never aware of before! It is even in the flavored yogurts!! I am going to start using plain or vanilla yogurt and flavor it myself with fruit, maybe that will help to stop the madness I seem to battle daily.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #8  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

You might try the palmers all fruit, It is sweetened with fruit juice. When I ate the chocolate, its like something in my brain went off, KWIM.

Yes, that pic is from A Christmas Story. The little boy said some dirty words, and had to sit with the soap in his mouth for punishment LOL, maybe everytime I overeat,I should do that.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #9  

The all fruit spread would be a good alternative, I will give that a try today, I think I have some in the fridge.

I do know what you mean about something in the brain going off, that is the same thing that happened to me after the ice cream cookie sandwich. It was like I had to have more junk food after that. Now the trick is to remember how that makes me feel so I do not do it again.

I thought that little boy looked familiar. That was a cute movie and yes, I do remember him lashing out with some naughty words to end up with that bar of soap in his mouth.

BTW, your family picture is very nice. How old is your daughter? I have 2 very active boys, ages 6 & 8.
Check back soon.
Darcy
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #10  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

thanks (i just changed it, cause i looked so fat in it) she is 2 1/2.

I think i'm gonna have 2 turn my computer off for the rest of the day so i can get some work done
Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Everhopeful, and welcome! Yah a lot of us understand about the yo yo stuff! Glad you are here!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the forum, I too am a Christian and pray everynight thanking God for giving me the strength to get through another day on this plan and asking him to give me the strength to get through the next day. We can do all things through Christ who stengthens us. I look forward to getting to know you!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #13  

I have been so encouraged by the lovely people on this forum. What a blessing to find this site.

Melody and WannaBeSize7, we should help each other through the power of prayer. I know that I certainly need the help to overcome temptation at times and not let this thing rule me. This a.m. I am doing just that for the three of us. I am going to Him for help. I hope that you are blessed today.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #14  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

:five: Melody and everhopeful. you will both be in my prayers

PS the all fruit is noth by Palmers Duh me