Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #1  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Angry weight gain question

Hi guys..

I started running last night.. with my brother.. who just got out of the Marines.. he is helping me with my getting in shape endeavor...

I ran a block.. from corner to corner.. and back halfway.. did some jumping rope.. and some jogging around with the kids... kept moving for an hour or so last night..

So can someone tell me WHY THE HE-double hockey sticks... the scale is UP FOUR POUNDS THIS MORNING?????????

i am a chronic weigher.. and normally, small fluxes dont get me.. but this one does.. i did not expect to see a loss.. but.. i did expect to NOT see a gain.. especially a huge gain...

Whats up???
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Most likely culprit -- water retention! For whatever reason it wants, and it may or may not be related to the exercise.

Relax. Scales are and not to be trusted. They tempt us and tease us with losses, and then when we come to expect it -- BAM! A gain. And a big one.

If you know you haven't eaten enough for it to be fat, give it some time and it will come off.

You can't trust that scale to be the best measure of how you're doing!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #3  
Downsizing Dee!

Ditto to what Wyllenn said!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

I second that! If you have been using muscles that you have not been using before, they will swell and hold more water.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I know it's hard but we can't pay much attention to the gains when we know better. That 4 lbs is just the body's fluctuation.

Don't sweat it! Yuo know your doing great!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #6  

And just to follow up on all of that... I will say it's easier to GIVE that advice than TAKE it. I gained a few pounds for most of a week a couple of weeks ago and it really bothered me, even though I KNEW it would go away!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #7  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Well, i certainly hope that you guys are right.. .

I know i did not eat the 3500 calories it would take.. x 4.. to gain 4 pounds of fat.. therefore, it MUST be water.. im drinking a ton.. up to about 3 liters a day.. and pretty much eliminated diet soda from my life.. caffiene intake is up from none.. but.. less than before.. markedly..

It just.. well, feels defeating.. to have a big gain like that.. particularly after starting to do something rather adventerous..

Im thinking that perhaps i should not have started off running with a Marine.. i should have stuck with like.. a neighborhood watch person or something :P

I promise that if that scale reads another gain in the morning.. im gonna toss it!!!!
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #8  

I know how frustrating it is! But if you didn't eat the 3500 x 4, it will leave (maybe not tomorrow!)

Remember, the scale is testing you!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #9  

I find that running makes my muscles retain like nobody's business. I am now a committed skirt wearer, as there are some days that only my stretchy gym pants will fit, and I can't wear them to work!

Honestly, don't stress, keep drinking the water, keep exercising and it will sort itself out.

The thing about exercise and healthy eating is sometimes the scale is our worse enemy as it doesn't really tell the truth.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Every time I exercise, I'm heavier the next morning. I'm also heavier the second I get out of bed. If I move around for a minute or two then weigh, I'm usually less by 2-3 lbs. I think its probably the water retention and muscle expansion. Scientifically, you couldn't have gained from calories... You'll even out in the next day or so... Let us know!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Hey Gretchen, i always thought i was crazy, about weighing more first thing in am. If i wonder around, let the dogs out, and piddle for even 5 minutes there is sometimes a SEVERAL pound difference. I always thought my body was just nuts...glad to know mine isnt the only one. I would love for a scientist to explain that one.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #12  

It really gets me down when I see a mid-week gain...but then I think I did NOT by any means eat 3500 calories, much less more if it's a higher gain...so it's just water, then I relax and tell myself look what I've done so far, I'm doing great...and it usually helps me get perspective. When that happens I usually don't weigh until my next weigh-in after that, and take it from there. There's NO chance that your 4lbs was body fat, it's hard to deal with seeing those "false gains", but just stay off the scale for a few days...it will all even out in time.
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Hi guys, I'm dealing with the "evil scale" also. I know that I have not cheated since I started on Aug 3rd. My weigh in is tomorrow and I have not dropped an ounce for 3 days. I was hyper with the quick 6 pound loss and since I started exercising, nothing. Heather is right. It has to be water. So I'm not going to let it get to me.
Heather do you know Boiaby? I went back and read all her posts last night for inspiration and I noticed that you two chatted. I'm not sure you'd remember her. She doesn't post much any more. She's my hero. She's also my step daughter and she has finally got me motivated. She owes her weight loss to ladies like you who picked her up when she was down and patted her on the back with each success. The power of this website could eliminate the entergy shortage if we could harness it.
Melissa, keep up the qood work. With all your exercise you can't help but lose weight.
Norma aka harkeyvalley
harkeyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:13 AM   #14  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

I recently broke a plateau. I pretty sure the stale and a temporary 2lb gain where related to the new rigorous exercises I was now doing almost daily. Yeah... frustrating. The up side is my skin and body all around lifted a bit. Its over now. Keep it up and give your body time to adjust.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Ditto to everything that has been said. My brother is a Marine too! This is his first year though. He's stationed in Cali right now, and word is he goes to Iraq in March. But jeez i couldnt run with him--i dont think he'd have the patience! Hehe. But hey, they're used to running hugantic amounts of miles. I remember right after he graduated bootcamp and it was his birthday, he had to go on a 10 mile run. I was like, woo! what a birthday! He hates running like me, so that probably sucked.

I got on the scale this morning and weighed 4 lbs heavier than i weighed last week. I know its probably just water weight because i ate out and had a couple family dinners because my aunt was here from Texas. She goes back today, so maybe i can get on track again. lol. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll fly off.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote