South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #1  
Shrinking Mom

S/C/G: Goal Weight:127

Height: 5"

Default I feel like rolling up my towel

I finally got the nerve to start adding bread.
I read the FYI and I bought Pepridge farm 15 grain bread. I have had one piece a day for the past 2 days......I gained a pound.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  
RNMOM

Default Hang on!

First of all, it takes your body awhile to adjust to new stuff. Increase the water intake. You have to be able to find the "happy place" of what your body can tolerate. Besides, you might have not had bread at all and still gained a couple of pounds. The body is a fickle thing........it will be oK.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

keep in mind - a pound is over 3K calories! You may have retained water but unless those were some BIG pieces of bread, you didn't gain fat! RNMOM has good advice! Take it slow. Maybe bread won't be your thing on a regular basis...maybe it will be a treat but oatmeal, or fruit will be okay???
Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #4  
Shrinking Mom

S/C/G: Goal Weight:127

Height: 5"

Thank you!
I know I shouldn't concentrate on numbers....but it is way hard.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #5  

The chicks give you good and sound advice and encouragement.. A "real" pound gain means you stored 3500 calories ...not likely with one slice of bread darlin..

Weight is a funny thing and will flucuate from day to day,hour etc... Eat whole healthy foods, consume less calories than you use and you will lose.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #6  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

Now that I am in phase 2, I still weight myself everyday (force of habit) but the only one that "counts" for my records is Friday morning (I compare that one to my progress goals). Otherwise I would go nuts with up .8 lbs, down .6 lbs. Argh that would be too frustrating.

Keep up with it, just be sure to eat something protein or veggie with your bread, that might help!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.6/215/199/140

Height: 5'4"

Everyone has given you some good advice to think about. I stopped weighing myself daily because it began to take an emotional toll on me. Once a week is enough as long as I am OP anyway, then there is really nothing to fear.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #8  
SO Determined!

Height: 5'8"

Hey girl, I've done the same thing. We had a whole wheat pizza crust with SBD friendly toppings, and yeah...weight went up - most likely NOT because I ate bread, but it's hard not to think that way. SO...I've come to the conclusion that bread isn't going to be my thing, I've survived nearly a month without it, and I am just fine, amazing something I relied on so much in the past, and I'm totally fine without it now! You are finding out how your body responds to certain foods, so good for you! Hang in there, and whatever you do DO NOT give up!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, My3! First of all, I'm sorry that this has you so down. I understand how much the scale can affect us, but please try your hardest to see it as a tool that helps you figure things out, not a definition of your own worth, okay? : You will gain a little weight in Phase 2 as you try to figure things out, but it will come RIGHT OFF when you figure it out, and you'll start losing more and more, so it's TOTALLY worth it!!! Trust me on this one, okay?

I gained about 8 pounds in my first three weeks of Phase 2 as I tried to figure things out. Like someone on here said, I thought you could add it all during the first week, so I did! (my only excuse is that we attended an unexpected funeral in Wisconsin that week and my mind wasn't on my diet as much as it should have been...I brought food with me and totally stuck to the plan, but I didn't read the book very carefully, obviously!!!!) So, as I noticed that I had gained a couple pounds, I started taking away fruit and starch servings. I was eating three starches and two fruits the first week. I went down to two starches and two fruit the second week, then down to two starches and one fruit the third week, and finally, during the fourth week, when I ate one starch and one fruit, I lost! The eight pounds came off lickety split and I lost another 69 pounds by the end of that year (about 6 months). Don't stress this part, hon, as hard as it is, okay?

Another VERY important point: just because you gained a pound after two days of eating bread does NOT mean you can't eat bread!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!!!!!!!! You don't know if it's the specific brand you are trying, the time of day you are eating it, what you are (or aren't) eating it with, or if something else is affecting it! For instance, three weeks of Phase 1 is a week too long...and it might have affected your metabolism a bit. People who stay on P1 longer than 2 weeks eventually see weight gain, and that might be what you are seeing, completely unrelated to the bread! You might have gained more if you hadn't eaten the bread!

So! Try the bread for the rest of the week. Consider eating it at a different time of day or with something different. Remember what Dr. A said about having a fat, a protein, or an acid with the bread to make it enter your system more slowly. But perhaps you can have a slice of 2% fat cheese instead of PB? It has less calories and that might help, if calories is the issue. I find that I can't lose if I eat starches in the morning. But if I eat them at lunch or after, I'm fine. Each body's different, so work with yours and find out what you need.

If you find that you are still gaining at the end of the week, consider trying something different (a different starch or even a fruit, especially low GI ones like berries, which are also in season now and especially yummy! ), or try a different bread. You may have one with a bit more sugar in it than your system can handle. There are some out there that have no sugar, Ezekial 6:9 bread comes to mind (it's really yummy!), and others that have a bit less than the Pep. Farm kind. Look for Monk Bread, something that is 100% Whole Wheat (check to make sure it has no enriched flour), or perhaps something a bit different like WW pitas or tortillas. I'd be really surprised if you can't have any form of bread.

Keep us posted, My3, and don't give up now...as a friend told me last night OA, "Don't give up before the miracle happens!"
Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #10  

I find often when my weight changes and I haven't added very many calories that the culprit is salt. Sometimes just eating ham gives me too much salt if I don't drink enough water. I can go up several pounds in one day from salt (or TOM).

Laurie (and everyone else) has given you some wonderful advice. One other thing that has been suggested during the years that I have been on SBD is to weigh daily but then average your weight for a weekly weight. Look at the average as what you use to compare weights. I also know that Monday will be my highest weight of the week no matter how good I have been on the weekend (I suspect I don't drink enough water on Sunday) so I switched my official weigh-in day to Wednesday.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #11  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

And remember for weight loss to be permenant, it needs to come off slowly, and that takes time. It might not always be a straight down angle, more like an up and down, with mostly down, until you get to the weight range. I have no illusions that when I hit my goal weight, I will wake up every morning the exact same weight, even if I am eaty SB III. Life throws us challenges, and we have to adapt if we want to survive.

Like today, I had to participate in a luncheon at my new school. The lunch choice was penne with chicken, mushrooms and cream sauce, lasagna, and salad and bread. The little ammount of salad was not going to help me make it through 4 hours of meetings. So I did eat everything I was given. But not the bread. And not the cake. Not a big deal, I know, compared to all the stuff that was done with the pastas and cream sauces, but tomorrow will be better, and I am already back on plan this evening. So what if my weight goes up a tiny bit. I am 3 lbs ahead of my schedule of goals, so I should be fine still by Friday.

Stick with it, and maybe only have bread every other day?
Closed Thread