Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/233.8/160

Height: 5'6

Default question

from your own observations maybe you can help me. I have gained 4 lbs this week a pound a day as a matter of fact in the last 4 days. I am supposed to start my monthly on tuesday. I have only over eaten this week by maybe 200 calories tops bringing my daily calories too 1500, which should not be enough for 4 lbs of weight!!
Ok could it be my monthly doing it? have any of you had that extreme of weight gain before your monthly?
I'm so upset that i almost don't want to walk this morning but i know if i don't i will be really upset with myself after. All my clothes were loose last week and now i sit here writing this and my pants feel like they are going to burst.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

Catrina
catrinaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A couple things can do it, your monthly (or TOM as it also known) can cause you to retain water. Also if you have been eating salty items, that can also make you retain water. Also it depends when you weigh. I weigh more at night than in the morning and I also weigh more after I work out than before (even up to a 5 lb change but no food eaten, just drinking water and exercising).

Weight has so many variances that it really is impossible to weigh yourself in the short term to see a long term success. I would rely on the knowledge that what you doing is working and be sure to measure yourself regular to see how much you are slimming down.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Hi Catrina,
I don't have very much experience yet but yeah, I'd say it can definitely be your monthly (you mean period, right?). I always hear girlfriends talking about how bloated they feel right before-hand and during. I always find myself peeing like nuts when I'm on my period, so I'm sure it has some sort of effect on us.

I know it's hard and so upseting, but try to keep going and in a few days if not sooner, the scales should bounce back . Physiologically, 200 pounds is really nowhere near enough to gain an extra pound, or whatsmore, four - so I think you're safe there

And sometimes our weight just shifts for some strange reason, I think it's usually water related and not fat or weight gain. I think it's all part of our body keeping itself going. But in the end, if you keep up what you've been doing, it sounds like you'll see change in the long-run (weight loss change I mean )

Good luck!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I used to balloon up during that time. I measuring my waist during one TOM and it went up 8 inches so that can be what's causing it. I would just take it as a learning experience and see what happens once TOM is gone. Good for you for getitng in your walk.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Well i am glad i am not the only one that sees that kind of extremes. It is just insane. The week before my period i will NOT lose no matter what, the week of, i will NOT lose no matter what but the week after, i will lose 5 pounds over night...it is nuts. During that time of the month i get so frustrated i have to hide the scale and just wait til it is over. Then weigh again after it is done and i am usually really pleased. It is just the dealing with it when you are in full bloat mode. Very frustrating. I go through it every month too. So basically i can only weigh to weeks out of the month...nutty.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Also if you aren't getting enough sleep and are constipated..those are additional factors.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/233.8/160

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone : ). you'd think i'd know by now how this would effect me but I just recently took diet and fitness seriously so am paying more attention to myself then before. Unfortunately i am a daily weigher since i started but I feel it keeps me in tune with my body. I also weight myself after bathroom rituals in the morning. I always knew i was bloated at the time but really never weighed myself (didn't want to know).
Its just so frustrating when you see things going backwards when you are the type of person that wants things done now if not last week : P
I don't think sleep is the factor I sleep at least 7 hours everynight lately its been 8. I take a nap sometimes ,maybe once a week, and never for more then 30 minutes. Am also quite regular : P
catrinaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

If you excercised a lot the day before, sometimes that will swing the numbers temporarily.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #9  

I gain nearly a dress size around my waist over the week before my period starts. I don't get on the scales for the two weeks, the week before and the week after (oh and the three days during...or whatever my period happens to be doing that month)

Right at the moment I weigh very infrequently.

If you are going to be a daily weigher, I think you need to develop an "it is what it is" mindset and not stress. You will notice a huge variation from day to day, it's all normal, don't let it bring you undone.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote