Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default I'm back-- attempt number since baby...

Hi!

Today is the beginning of another attempt for me. I see a lot of newbies around so I'll give you a quick summary about my previous weight loss journey. March 2004 I began to lose weight. By October of 2004 I was 3 lbs away from my goal weight of 140-- I had lost 82 lbs in 7 months through counting calories and walking about 5 miles per day. December 04, I got pregnant-- it went well for the first several months until month 7 (32 weeks) when I had an emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia and more than a week in the hospital. I actually weighed almost 100 lbs more than before I got pregnant after giving birth to my son. It was a very scary experience. My son was in the NICU for 3 weeks, but he's healthy and growing well and right on track. We celebrated his 1st birthday 2 weeks ago. Now, its time for me to get back to taking care of myself. I've really let myself go. I've had several failed attempts to do this since my son was born. I need to make myself do this now. I have no more excuses. When you start feeling uncomfortable going up 1 flight of steps to the second level of your home and even feel kinda gross just sitting in a chair... you know its time. My weight has literally doubled since 2004 and I am sad that I let it get to this point. My poor baby has a fat and out of breath mommy... I've got to get it together before year number 2 so that I can run and play with him, go into the pool without having a towel right by the ladder. I want to be a hot mommy!

So here I am again, I need this to happen. I know that I can do it... I did it before. I need this now more than ever. Wish me luck!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Hi Gretchen -

You can do it!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Happy birthday Carson. I was just over at the pregnant and nursing forum and someone had pulled up an old post from you (from 2005) and I thought both you and Kimberlie were PG again and that's why you hadn't been around.

Now that Carson is getting older, it should be easier for you to find a bit more time for yourself. I have faith in you that you can do this.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

You can do it!! I know you can. Hang in there
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #5  

Hi Gretchen....

Nice to see you back!!!! Good luck to you...I know you can do it!!!! Oh...and Happy Birthday to your sweet little guy....he is just adorable!!!

Hugs,
Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

You did it before and you can do it again! Happy Birthday to your son - that must have been such a scary experience when he was born.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Gretchen, back! I'm so glad you've decided to come back--I know you're up for the challenge! Take time for yourself, and you'll be rewarding your DS and DH with a happier, healthier you.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #8  

Hello gorgeous lady, you were one of the first people I "met" on 3FC and in fact announced your pregnancy shortly after I joined.

Your amazing and you worked your butt off before, you've done the right thing and put the little bloke first, now its your time to shine again, and show us what you've got.

Now shake that groove thang and you'll be one hot momma in no time!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Gretchen -

I'm a newbie but a long-time lurker and I remember that you were very, very dedicated to achieving your weight loss goal in the past. Glad you're back and good luck to you!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Gretchen, welcome back! I know it may be different this time around now that you're a mommy -- you have new challenges and concerns to work into the mix. What are you planning to do differently (if anything) this time around? What obstacles do you need to navigate first to get yourself moving along? We'd love for you to share with us!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone-- so far so good.. I stuck to water all day yesterday, ate a banana for breakfast, a fruit cup for lunch, a piece of chicken and some veggies for dinner.. I'm attempting the 1000 calorie approach again. I'm heading to the grocery store tonight to get my other previous "staples" so that I'm all set and ready to go. I had a headache last night and felt a little more tired than usual so I think I need to add in some additional foods throughout the day. Previously, the 800-1000 cal. worked well, so I'm attempting that again. I feel pretty good, I've psyched myself out but not really acting like I'm on a diet, more of just modified eating. Hopefully it will work for me this time... If I can just get past the first 2 weeks, I'm usually good to go... We'll see. Weigh in on Sunday-- loss is my biggest motivation..

Thanks again for all the support, I'll definitely need it!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Gretchen-- I'm just curious why you're eating so few calories. Seems like it would be hard to get in all the nutrients you need that way. And although it may seem like it's the way to fast weight loss, I wonder if over the long term, deprivation can lead to derailment.

I know you said this approach worked well in the past to help you lose weight, but is it the best approach for keeping the weight off?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

Gretchen, welcome back and to Carson!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Gretchen!!! Hey there babe! So glad to see you. I am starting over too. We can do this!!!

Happy Birthday to the little guy.

Ditto what Wyllenn said - why so low in cals?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #15  

Hi Wylleyn My method has always gotten attention.. I'm doing 1000 cals. I know it seems low, but this is something that works for me and I'm comfortable with it. Had I not gotten "the pregnant ticket" to eating, I feel that I would still be in line with what I was doing previously. I was maintaining at 1500-1800 per day and usually not every day either-- I could afford a "higher calorie day 2000+) here or there because I new exactly what to do to keep everything under control--pregnancy changed everything for me. I didnt remain focused on my body, I wasn't listening to it either-- I got wrapped up in the eating for 2 theory-- big mistake... But back to my plan-- I get plenty of food for 1000 cals per day and I take a multi vitamin! There are many different varieties of food for this range. I have much more to lose this time around and Remember back, I had a dietician supervising my intake etc... same this time around. Last time I did 800 so I've actually increased it. I am feeling pretty good and starting to feel like this really could be it again... I do not plan on having any more children anytime soon (if ever due to what happened with the pregnancy the last time). I'm hoping to make myself proud. I'm hoping to make my son proud too.