Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #83

G'day all,

My big news is that I am getting a second monitor which will work in conjunction with my current, I will be able to have photos open etc and drag them to the monitor next to the one I would work on.
We tried it yesterday with dh's monitor and it worked a treat! We have now bought another 19 inch monitor on-line so I can have them both set up permanently

I am amazed how much the price of flat screen monitors have come down

My book is at the printers and I am starting on Matilda's first year book.
I also have to attend to some customers so I am being kept pretty busy which is good!

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #2  

Maria You amaze me as to what you can do on a computer. I'm still thrilled that I can turn the darn thing on. Are you going to let us see Matilda's book?

To day is the day I see the doctor on the knee thing. Wish me luck and hope I don't have to have surgery. I'll see you later.

Karen
Old 07-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Maria, my boss now has three monitors. How you can keep all this going is just way beyond me, but he loves his and his assistant has two and loves her.

Karen, here is hoping to no surgery!

I get my last therapeutic massage today at 5:30. Looking forward to that.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #4  

It has been so hot sometimes I think I am melting. It finally rained last night-it has been so dry here. I can't believe that summer is going so fast and it is almost time for school to start. We have be there the 18th and classes start the 23rd.

Took a friend out for her birthday lunch today. I took them to an old schoolhouse that is a restaurant. The menu is written on the blackboard. It is really cute but way out in the country. Found out that mapquest isn't reliable. Good thing I sort of remembered my way around. Didn't realize that lunch is served family style like dinner. They brought bowls of food and placed it on the lazy susan's in the middle of the table. It seems like all I have been doing lately is eating. We had canasta club last night and I won the booby prize as usual.

Slavika join that gym and go with Trudy. You will have fun. It will be good for you to get out. My sister has been a widow for a long time. She volunteers in the hospital gift shop, tap dances, helps out in a flower shop. She is always busy doing something. Hard to believe that she is 78. But she says the evenings can be lonely even with her kids near her.

Karen good luck with the knee. Here's hoping that there's no surgery.

Maria you amaze me with all your computer knowledge. Can't imagine how you can keep track of more than one monitor. I would have the biggest mess ever. Congrats on being a grandmother again. You are going to be busy putting together books for all of them. That's exciting.

Have a good weekend. Glenda hope that massage relaxed you. I have go call dil. P might have to have some tests for juvenile diabetes. I have to find out what that is all about. I wasn't home when she called last night.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #5  

G'day all,

Nice to 'see' you Peggy, I still don't understand why some emails of mine get delivered and others don't. The ones that don't get delivered are not much different then the ones that do
Sounds like you had a nice lunch, I like the idea of a lazy susan and everyone helps themselves.

Glenda wow 3 monitors!!! the two monitors is just fantastic and contrary to what you might think, it really is quite simple. DH is now thinking that he could have use for 2 monitors to his computer!!!! I won't tell him about your boss with three monitors!
All it really means is that you have more workspace. Especially when doing a book, to be able to drag the photos you think you may use to another monitor and still have a full screen will be great.
With the book I just did, I have everything VERY small to fit it on the screen.
My daughter had an 'Hawaian massage' whatever that is, she said she just floated out the door.
I hope you enjoyed your massage.

Karen of course I will share Matilda's book with you all. It will be a while yet before that is completed and I thought I would do it in 10 pages at the time. It won't be that much to download for you all to have a look and give me feedback.
I hope your trip to the doctor went OK.

Whilst doing a bit of research for the book, I came across a baby book and the parents had kept the frontpage of their newspaper on the day of the birth of their child. They also included what the top 5 DVD's were on that day and the TV programs for that day. A bit like a time capsule.
I contacted our newspaper and got the front page of the day Matilda was born.
I am also thinking of using Matilda's first 'painting' as a faded background to the pages of the book.

I went to see a customer yesterday, a lady our age who has no idea about computers. She recently did a trip to Africa, got a digital camera and now really wants to learn how to download the photos to her computer etc.
She was very nice but petrified of the computer.
She has taken some magnificent shots of the wild life. I have never had a desire to go to Africa but after seeing her photos, I have sort of changed my mind.

Lovely area Inverness Falls Trudy. I can understand you would be exhausted after though.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #6  
Member Florida Chick

My goodness- After vacation and then taking time to get settled with laundry etc. I had a lot to catch up with. And of course I read all the posts and don't remember too much of what was going on with all of you. So I'll try.

Karen: I hope that today was a good day with your Dr. and your knee. My granddaughter had a cartilege transplant some years ago, and she is great now. I hope you won't have to have surgery. We'll be waiting to hear.

Glenda: Thyroid difficulties? I hope your medication will help. And losing weight would sure be a bonus. You have had your share of HOT weather. I guess it has been unreal all over the midwest. some places hotter than us here in Florida.

Slavika: glad to hear that you are cooking some for yourself now. And the new grill sounds great. I have the old one, that has to be washed. I have discovered that if I used my dishcloth or wet paper towels in the grill, and close it up for a while, that then it cleans very easily. It is non-stick, but the moisture helps to make it come off better. The wellness/fitness place sounds like a good idea. And getting a digital camera will be fun. I think Maria's idea about being the official photographer for the dance studio would be good. Your hot dog caper sounded exhausting, but satisfying. You sound to me like you are doing very well. Grief takes many forms, and tears sure do come unexpectedly sometimes. Just some little thing.

Gloria: It sounds like you had a lovely party, and great for you to assist. Your times with your friends must be special, and I'm sure that your friend who has had the stroke, is happy to have you there. You probably lift her spirits a lot. I think depression goes with a stroke. The getting used to the limitations. My DH brother had a stroke, and I remember how he was. He never swore before this, but with the frustration came anger and his language and temper changed a lot.

Maria: I do love your photos. There were so many great ones, it was hard to pick any favorites. I'd love to be able to put the water lily one on my computer as wallpaper. so guess that must be one of my favorites. Sounds like you have been busy with Matilda, and dealing with teething is tough.
Getting used to retirement is an ongoing growing. Of course, when you were on your great safari, your DH was busy and challenged all the time. So there just aren't those kind of challenges at home. Can he do any of his consulting at home with the computer? Do you plan to be around for the birth of your new Grand daughter? Two monitors? I have all I can do to manage one.

Trudy: Slavika is lucky to have a great friend like you so close by. Your teatimes sound like a great time. And how nice that your had such a good time with you. And glad you could make your DD feel better, and that your hadn't highjacked your s effection.

Peggy: We used to go to the Amish country in Pennsylvania, and they surely are good cooks. You made me hungry with all the great places you have been eating. You have had really hot temperatures too. Are you ready to go back to school?

I've been thinking about Lily as I read about all the problems in California. I hope she hasn't been affected too badly.

Our vacation was fun. We had a great time with our kids. Did shopping, eating, just having fun together and probably all together too much eating. haven't been to WW yet. Can't go tomorrow, as our Norwegian GS is coming to visit.
We went on a boat ride around Hampton Roads harbor, and it took us by the Norfolk Naval Station, and we saw 6 Aircraft Carriers tied up, as well as several other types of ships. The next day two of them were sent out to pick up evacuees from Lebanon .

I think I am back in the swing again, and hope I won't have to read 3 threads to get caught up anymore.

Good night all. Ann

I am getting so I hate to read the newspapers any more or listen to the news. This whole Middle East thing is going to have long repercussions, I am afraid.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

p.s. I forgot to say hi to Keya. I hope things are going well with your daughter, and that you arent feeling guilty any more. And that you have been able to quit the guilt eating. Good luck with your weight loss. Ann
Old 07-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #8  

Surgery it is."Knee Arthroscopy" Won't be having it until next month on the 28th . but it is on the books. I was given the go ahead and can walk on it as the damage is done. I just have to only do what I can. The Tear i have is in the back of the knee and Doctor says it like a frayed mop. So what will be done is it will be trimmed up smooth also as long as he is in there he will take care of the little bit of arthritis that is in there too. isn't that just ducky!. It was of course my call i could have just gone on limping along but that's is no way to have a life right! I sound like recover time isn't too long. Gloria Is that what Your DH had??

When we got home yesterday I put those darn crutches under the bed. where Neither Sprout or I have to look at them for a while. I was able to take the golf cart and Sprout for a solo ride for the first time last evening. Free! free! I was free! Today i went out and did a bit of bush clipping. about 15 minutes . Just enough to make it look a bit better out there. It's been buggin' me every time I look out the window. DH is not the yard guy that is me. And I'm not really the yard guy either.

Ann good to see you back on the board. Sounds like you had a good trip. Funny you should mention Lily I thought about her this morning too. When i first woke up. Hope she is OK. I wonder if she still visits 3FC boards at all?

Slavika. I forgot say good for you on maybe joining Trudy's wellness club. Thanks for the info on the grill.

Peggy. School starting already! sure rolls around fast doesn't it.

Glenda Hows the headache's gone I hope.

Hows the book going Maria. The back ground of Matilda's first painting is a good idea.

Time for lunch

Karen
Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #9  
Web Nana

Karen...Yes that is what DH had. For him it was a breeze. We were at the hospital at 6 AM and the operation started at 8AM. the Doctor came out to say everything was great at about 9:30AM. We left the hospital about 11:30 AM and he was home sitting in his favorite chair at 12 Noon. He never had a single pain, then or afterwards. He had pain medication and never used it. He had a bandage over his knee and a brace and was told to ice it for a couple of days then take off the bandage and then he could shower. He went upstairs the first night to get to bed....leaning on me for help and the same in reverse in the AM.
I can only hope you have as easy a time as he did. His only problem is that his arthritis is so bad that he is bone on bone in some places. However, the doctor said as long as he is not in pain and can get about as he wishes he is not a candidate for knee replacement. Good news!

It is hot, hot here and we are told that the next 3 to 4 days will be over 90 deg.....an official heat wave.

Ann Welcome back and glad to hear you had a good vacation!

Maria Two monitors....you are really a computer person but with your great photography you really need the extra screen.

PeggyIt is just too hot to think of school being back in session. I think your dates are very similar to the back to schoold dates of Nick in NC.

Slavika I agree, being the official photographer for the dance school would be fun.

I know I haven't talked to everyone but it is too hot to be sitting in this corner so I will go and sit in front of the fan.

Stay cool.....Gloria
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #10  

Thanks Gloria, for the encouraging news about the knee thing makes me feel better about it. I'm getting around better today. After 2 weeks on the crutches my calves are sore. Sorry about the heat wave. Stay close to the fan.

I'll be back later.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Karen: Sorry about the surgery, but it sounds relatively easy. HOpe you do have a very easy time of it. As I shared, my GD had a cartilege transplant. At the time she was the youngest (16) to have the surgery. She was born with insuffecient cartilege. And now you can't keep her down. I bet you are glad to be free of the crutches.

Our Norwegian grandson was here for the weekend. What a nice young man. He is going back to Norway next week, and will study for his Norwegian flying certificate, and European certificate. His desire is to become a commercial pilot.

I think the heat wave is pretty much all over. Yesterday was a hot one here, and we went to the pool after a scorching trip to the flea market. We just got in the water, and it started thundering. I have a very healthy respect for the possibility of lightning, so we got right out again. Hopefully I may make it today.

Back later. Ann
Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #12  
Fun Blonde

To all of you who think 90 degrees is a heatwave, Oklahoma yesterday was 115 degrees and there is no end in sight! We are all burning up and blowing away! We had two weeks straight in July broken up by one weekend and then back to the furnace! Everyone is just bummed out, as you can image. Just wanted to let you know how well off you are. I would so gladly trade my heat for yours!

Okay, now that I have officially had my pity party, I did want to add to Karen that when my son had this surgery, it was just not a big deal either. He has had two and I don't remember the first that well, but the second just was not a problem at all and he immediately felt better. And the free, free, free thing I so relate to! Even now I can barely move without hubby coming with me, but back when I was sick, he was superglued at the hip, I think, because he was afraid for me to go anywhere alone. Suffocating to say the least!

Maria, your pictures are all so good. Matilda at the computer should just be an ad for kids of today! I sent this website to my kids so they can play these games. Our grandchildren should grown up with calluses on their index fingers from pointing and clicking.

All, I too am just sickened by reading the paper. I think I am having a bit of a depression too from the weather, but the news is just deepening it all a little. I was determined to buy a funny book to read and I bought a book by Terry McMillan, a black author. I was kind of in a hurry and did not realize it was more from a black woman's perspective, but I am getting into it. I just need to laugh and be light-hearted for awhile.

Ann, you had a good time with your family. Thanks for your help with that horrible email. I had nightmares!
Glenda
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Sorry to hear you have to have surgery Karen but when I read about Gloria's dh's experience it doesn't sound too bad and you will be painfree afterwards for a long time to come.

Glenda you will have had a good laugh by now after receiving the funny emails from Peggy and Slavika. I know we get many funny emails but these two really tickled my fancy, I am still trying to forward Peggy's email to 144,000 people, thank goodness i have 70 minutes to do it in

Ann good to hear you had a good vacation and enjoyed your time with your children. I agree the bad thing about going away is the piles of laundry etc. on return but it never takes quite as long as it would seem.

I have to agree with Glenda about the state of the world at the moment, I am becoming more and more cynical about it all, in the meantime it is the innocents that wear the brunt of the politicians madness

I wander what sort of summer we are going to have with the heatwaves experienced in America, Canada and Europe
Our winter has been very dry and quite a bit colder then usual. Spring is not far away, my favourite time of the year.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: Just got back from a fun experience at our church. during the summer there is a special musical program for the kids, and then it culminates with their putting on a production. I'd say there were abour 60 kids, and they did a great job. The show was a racing theme, and there was some Nascar race footage that fit into the script. It is such a pleasure to see children having such a good time and being willing to work so hard to put on a show that points up the importance of believing in Jesus. They put their whole hearts into it. There was also a dance team, and did a great job. Slavika: Your DIL would have enjoyed that part.

Not much other things of interest around here. Reading the paper and listening to the weather news from other parts of the U.S. it seems that FL. is one of the cooler places. This summer heat has surely done a 'number' on everyone and especially all the crops in the Midwest. What do you bet that the price of cereal will go up substantially.

Karen-When will you have your knee surgery? Has a date been set yet? We have to go over to Plant City next week to see Dr. Clayton.

It will soon be time for "So you think you can Dance" Tonight it is down to 6 dancers. I was truly surprised at the girl that was voted off last week. There are some good dancers there, and I understand that the 10 finalists will go on a tour. So even if they are voted off, they still have other options.

Keep cool. Ann
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #15  

Ann , surgery is August 28th. It's a long way off. I did a big shopping(commissary run) today and a number on my knee it is twice the size it should be. So have been sitting with ice on it. DUMB! DUMB! I always think I am super woman. Sometimes I think I need a brick knocked against my head!
What day are you going to be over here?

I has been so hot all over. Took Sprout out for his ride this evening and stopped to chat with a friend and the sweat was running while we just sat there. Needless to say didn't chat for long.

Have a doctors appointment tomorrow. My B/P has been running too high again the bottom number has been in the low 90's not good. Any way I need to talk to the doctor about what to do. Can't exercise. At least not right now. You know it was just fine until my insurance company decided not to pay for the medicine I was taking and I had to switch.

Have to go to bed.

Karen
Closed Thread