Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Post your Super Foods menus here--8/1

Here's my menu for the day:

Breakfast:
Fibre One w/milk

Snack:
slice of whole wheat bread (SF) with 1T Peanut Butter (SF)
apple (SF)

Lunch:
Chicken Breast (SF)
Carrots (SF)
Yougurt (SF)

Snack:
Sugar-Free Pudding

Dinner:
chicken curry--made with chicken (SF), tomatoes (SF), onions (SF), green pepper, mushrooms, and a banana

Dessert:
strawberries (SF), blueberries (SF) and walnuts (SF) topped with Cool Whip

Total: 12

Last edited by Jen415; 08-02-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with blueberries
Snack: cherries
Lunch: yogurt, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries (fruit salad)
Snack: nuts and iced tea
Dinner: salmon, brown rice, and steamed cauliflower and broccoli
That's all superfoods, but only 8 categories.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Breakfast
muesli
non fat yogurt
blueberries
1/2 teaspoon honey

snack
peach

lunch
Ended up having a bowl of curried rice and lentil soup and half a turkey sandwich with spinach, tomato, spicy mustard and artichoke hearts on a piece of olive bread (not whole grain but sooo good).

Snack
tall non fat sugar free latte

Snack
cherries

Snack
grape tomatoes
carrots
orange pepper strips
sugar snap peas

Dinner
Chicken-spinach quesadillas. For the filling, I use a block of frozen spinach, 1/2 can of low fat cream of mushroom soup, diced grilled chicken breast, crimini mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, onions, cumin, cayenne. 2 whole wheat tortillas, little low fat cheese, lots of salsa

lots of tea all day

Last edited by Glory87; 08-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

breakfast: green juice
snack: yogurt w/ fresh blueberries and 1/4 cup of Kashi (sounds backwards, doesn't it?)
lunch: baby greens, spinach, red cabbage, sunflower sprout salad w/ grilled chicken strips
snack: home-popped popcorn, nectarine
dinner: hm. steamed broccoli, but with what? We shall see...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Default SuperFoods for August 1

B: orange, peanut butter on sourdough, coffee w/milk
L: mixed veg salad (diced tomato, lettuce), pizza (tomato sauce, cheese, crust), cheesebread
D: not sure yet ... maybe mahi-mahi, grilled eggplant and zucchini

Last edited by phantastica; 08-01-2006 at 03:02 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Menu 8/1/06

Someone please let me know if I've called something a SuperFood that is not. I looked at the list Nelie kindly posted but I'm only halfway through Book 1 and don't yet have Book 2. Also, all amounts are estimates, as I generally don't weigh and measure:

Breakfast
1/2 7-grain bagel (SF?)
1 tbsp. natural peanut butter (SF)
11.5 oz. can V-8 (not sure how to count this. Has tomatoes which are a SuperFood and has other SF veggies, too - spinach, carrots). Processed and also high in sodium, too, though.

Lunch
Veggie wrap from cafeteria - whole wheat tortilla (don't know how "whole" it actually is), spinach, tomatoes, pico de gallo (onions, tomatoes, peppers) (Several SFs here)
2 small plums (SF)

Snack
6 oz. plain lowfat yogurt (SF)
1/2 c. blueberries (SF)

Dinner
Roasted turkey breast (SF)
Carrots (SF)
Grape tomatoes (SF)
Dr. Kracker whole grain cracker (SF?)
Cherries (SF)

Snack
Hardboiled egg

I have started making my ice tea and bringing it to work everyday but was out this a.m. I am bummed that he says the kind w/ caffeine is the way to go, since I am sensitive to caffeine and avoid it after about 2:30 p.m. That's why I have to bring it to work rather than have it at home w/ dinner!!

I also noticed that today I'm heavy on tomatoes.........

Good luck to all w/ your menus!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Breakfast:
Ultimate meal powder (sf), unsweetened soy milk (sf), banana and black berries (sf)

Snack:
NF plain yogurt (sf) with black berries (sf)

Lunch:
Ultimate meal powder (sf) with unsweetened soy milk
Salad with romaine lettuce (sf), tomatoes (sf), carrots (sf) and cucumbers

Snack:
Garbanzo (sf) and kidney bean (sf) salad with tomatoes (sf), cucumbers, onions (sf), garlic (sf), lemon juice (sf) and olive oil (sf)

Snack 2:
carrots (sf) with laughing cow cheese

Dinner:
Garbanzo and Kidney bean salad (7 sfs total)
Brown rice (sf)
Eggplant sautee with olive oil (sf)
Salad with romaine (sf), tomatoes (sf), cucumbers and carrots (sf)
Salmon? Not quite sure, might be a veggie friendly night.

BreakingFree, you can also make decaf iced tea. I take a bottle of iced tea with me every day to work.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #8  
Mindful Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
BreakingFree, you can also make decaf iced tea. I take a bottle of iced tea with me every day to work.
That's what I'd prefer, Nelie, but in Book 1, Pratt states that many of the benefits of tea seem to be related to the caffeine content. In the past I've made decaf ice tea but seems like I'd be "missing out" if I did that now.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Someone please let me know if I've called something a SuperFood that is not. I looked at the list Nelie kindly posted but I'm only halfway through Book 1 and don't yet have Book 2. Also, all amounts are estimates, as I generally don't weigh and measure
Breakfast
1/2 7-grain bagel (SF? Probably not a super food, unless the first ingredient is WHOLE grain, a lot of times "7 grain" is just fakery to make food seem more healthy than it is. 7 processed grains does not equal 1 whole grain!)
1 tbsp. natural peanut butter (SF)
11.5 oz. can V-8 (not sure how to count this. Has tomatoes which are a SuperFood and has other SF veggies, too - spinach, carrots). I would count v8 as a super food in the tomato group. I think there is a lower sodium variety. . Processed and also high in sodium, too, though.

Lunch
Veggie wrap from cafeteria - whole wheat tortilla (don't know how "whole" it actually is), spinach, tomatoes, pico de gallo (onions, tomatoes, peppers) (Several SFs here)
2 small plums (SF)

Snack
6 oz. plain lowfat yogurt (SF)
1/2 c. blueberries (SF)

Dinner
Roasted turkey breast (SF)
Carrots (SF)
Grape tomatoes (SF)
Dr. Kracker whole grain cracker (SF?)
Cherries (SF)

Snack
Hardboiled egg

I am bummed that he says the kind w/ caffeine is the way to go, since I am sensitive to caffeine and avoid it after about 2:30 p.m. If you're talking about non caffeinated herbal teas, they are not super foods. If you want to count brewed tea as a super food, it should be drunk immediately (it loses effectiveness over time). I'm not sure if decaf regular tea counts or not, I'd have to look at the book. Of course, regular tea is "super" but herbal tea is STILL GREAT! Beats the **** out of soda.

I also noticed that today I'm heavy on tomatoes......... That's awesome, tomatoes are one of the foods that has different nutritional properties depending on raw vs. cooked. It's good to eat lots of varieties of tomatoes every day. Tomatoes are one of the big age-related degeneration fighters. The book had a study about elderly nuns. The nuns that ate a lot of lycopene showed fewer signs of age-related deterioration! Plus, it helps protect your skin from sun damage.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #10  
Mindful Eater

Thanks, Glory. Appreciate it! The 7-grain bagel is made by a local bagel place that doesn't have nutrition info but this bagel is very dense compared to "whole wheat" bagels I've had. May not mean anything, though.

Tried the low-sodium V-8 (still have some in the fridge) - bleah. I'm also really wondering how important it is to watch sodium intake if you have no problems w/ hypertension. Seems I've read conflicting things so I'll stick w/ regular V-8 for now.

I was talking about green & black tea (not herbal). Someone gave me loose tea that was a combo of the two. Ugh, I don't like hot tea and if I make ice tea I make 3 quarts at a time so I'm obviously not drinking it all immediately. Hmm, this is getting a bit frustrating..........

Well, at least the tomatoes will keep me looking young!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Getting used to tea...I lived in China and Japan for 2 months each and they drink a TON of tea there -- green and black. It can take a while to get used to different teas, but once you do this whole world opens up... I used to really dislike Japanese green tea, but now I love it! I don't tend to drink tea here, but I think when the weather cools down, it is something I will turn to!

Do you sweeten your tea? Maybe put a little honey in it to start??

I've had a great superfoods start! Breakfast was yogurt (stonyfield farms, which I'm still getting used to) with blueberries and a little kashi go lean crunch (sf??). I think it may replace my old standby breakfoast of just cereal ... at least for a while.

And for a snack so far I've had a homemade muffin, made with whole wheat flour, fiber one cereal (sf?) and blueberries (among other ingredients).

Still to snack on are cherries (sf) and baby carrots. As well as cottage cheese and a Dr. Kracker kracker (sf?? anyone ever tried them?) -- edited to add -- BreakingFree I see you eat them! Mine is pumpkin seed and cheese... I love these krackers!

Last edited by Heather; 08-01-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #12  

Jen/Junebug -- wow, we had the same breakfast I think!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #13  
Mindful Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
Still to snack on are cherries (sf) and baby carrots (sf). As well as cottage cheese and a Dr. Kracker kracker (anyone ever tried them?)
I LOVE DR. Kracker crackers! I have one to eat with my dinner right here (I don't get home until late tonight). Hope you like it, Wyllenn! Edit: Wyllenn - you were editing while I was posting! Glad you like the crackers, too!

Re tea, it's not the tea I don't like (I love ice tea), it's the "hot" I don't like. I've never been big on hot beverages. I very rarely drink hot tea; it's usually only when I'm sick. I do sweeten both my hot and ice teas. My thing is, I don't want to lug a thermos of ice tea to work everday if the benefit is lost because a brewed it two days ago. AARGH ! We need to get Stephen Pratt on this forum to answer our questions that are not answered in the book!

WAIT, I did read about a gov't nutrition website where you can email your questions and get an answer in 2-3 days. What are the rules about posting links to other websites?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

Yes! I love Dr. Kracker! Ryvita is my favorite, but Dr. Kracker's stuff is a close second.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #15  

BreakingFree -- Oh, I know I love them! I really love them with cottage cheese for some reason. And now I like pairing the protein with the carbs and it seems like a perfect snack!

Ah, I see what you mean about the tea... it is confusing, huh?