Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #1  

Question Zone Diet vs. South Beach

What is the main difference between the Zone Diet and the South Beach Diet?

When I read about them, they seem almost the same. They both focus on glycemic/insulin levels, lots of fruits and vegetables, 5-6 small meals per day, and low-to-moderate carb intake.

So, what am I missing as far as the "difference" between the two?

Thanks for your help.
busygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #2  

Hi Busygator,

I think you are right to say that the two diets look very similar because they start from very similar ideas, focused around glycemic load. The core differences are that the South Beach diet starts with 2 weeks of very low carbs (much like Atkins) with the aim of getting the weightloss process started. Then it moves into a low glycemic load diet.

The zone diet is also a low glycemic load diet but it encourages a strict ratio of carbs, protein and fat at each meal. Some find this restrictive, but others find this kind of guidance on portion size useful.

Tim
timwiffen is offline   Reply With Quote