South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #1  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

Default Scale Issues/Almost Ready for Phase 2 - Need Advice!

Trying not to get frustrated here!

Day 1 was super hard. Days 2-5 were a piece of cake. Day 6 was hard again, and now on Day 7, I am trying very hard to not get completely disheartened.

I gained half a pound back (true, it is that time of the month) but it still makes me cranky (poor dh!).

What I am wondering is should I not be weighing every day? Perhaps it would be a nice surprise to only weigh on even days. Or even once a week. But I like that on days that I haven't lost (or backslid) that I can think about what I might have done the day before (too much cheese or nuts, not enough veggies, ate the whole steak instead of saving some for the next day, etc.).

How often do you ladies weigh yourselves?

And I KNOW that the weight loss will slow considerably when I hit Phase 2, but what can I do to not get totally freaked out by the scale?

I put this weight on over 4 years of college (freshman 15, sophomore 15, Jr. 15, Sr. 15). I did gain little bits of weight with both pregnancies, but I actually weigh less now than I did before I got pregnant with my oldest (who is now 5).

Those of you who have been on this awhile, tell me that it does come off, and yes, slowly, and that I need to stick with it. Please!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.6/215/199/140

Height: 5'4"

Hey LOuren LOL I get, "sKully" all the time, but I think it's funny. Like a skull. Sorry about the mistake. Wasn't paying attention...and you are not a brat for telling me.
I have been weighing myself everyday too. All I can say, is that most people would advise not weighing daily but weekly. Normally, I would weigh weekly, but I recently heard that it keeps some people honest.
I've been watching your posts, and you have been doing really well! I had a weight up day too, and the next day it was down farther than before. You are actually losing faster than I am - but in the end, we will probably balance out - hence, the 8-13 pound loss for the general population.

Try to take it one day at a time. If weighing in weekly will make you less crazy then do it. Keep finding new phase 1 recipes to try and look forward to phase 2 (the recipes really are looking sort of yummy) Then, and most importantly, look at it as trying to connect the dots of learning each new skill. You can't jump around the dots, but have to approach each one and get there first.

I admit, and many would agree, it would be such a blessing to have some magic bullet to fix this issue. It would be really cool if it were that easy.

Chalk this up to an uncomfortable day and I bet that tomorrow you will feel inspired again.

The people here who have been on it for a while will help us newbies to get through this - and I am here for ya too!

Last edited by Scully1280; 07-26-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/212/170

Height: 5'9

People are different, there are some that only want to weigh weekly and they feel good about that and are able to keep that up. Not me....I weigh everyday. I've been doing SB since 5/05, weighing daily. The reason I weigh everyday is that if I do have an increase and it is sustained for 2-3 days I can figure out what I did wrong. But an increase for 1 day could be anything (water retention) and you shouldn't get bummed out about it.

If you are getting too emotionally attached to your scale then you may want to think about going to a weekly weigh in. It is better to lose at a slower rate and you will keep it off longer that way I think. I can attest to the fact that SB does work and there are soooo many women here who can give you advice as well. Don't lose heart. Take care
Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #4  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

Thank you all for the support! I am trying to be strong. You are all very supportive.

And I don't want to be a brat, but my name is not "Lauren", it is "Louren", with an "o", not an "a".

Thanks!

Louren
Old 07-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

When I first started I did only weigh once a week, and I took my measurements. When I stopped losing, then I started weighing most every day because I had a fear that I could become complacent with the 42 pound loss....which I did anyway and gained back 9 pounds but that's because I've had some emotional issues to deal with and I'm back with bells on and OP foods.

Have you measured yourself? chest, waist, hips, upper arm, thighs and calfs? It's amazing when the scale stops moving but the inches melt off, it so empowering.

Sarah
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #6  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

AHA! And I just found my tape measure today when cleaning. I will take measurements.

I also decided to stop procrastinating and took my butt to the gym. It HAS been raining all week, and the kids are bored, so they liked the chance to run around the huge playroom our Y has. Yay 45 minutes of eliptical, and with the HGTV on, it was like I was at home in my own living room. But more sweaty.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

and remember - to gain weight before your period is NORMAL!!!! I look forward to seeing what i'm going to weigh when it's OVER

Hang in there. Maybe your body is just sorting things out.

Oh, I say I'm only weighing monthly but until DF hides the scales from me I'll be driving myself crazy with daily weighins too!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #8  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

I gained weight during my period!

It is almost over (way TMI but whatever). I did go down again this morning, to a lb below where I had been before the bump up, but then when I weighed myself again after another hour in bed (I am a sleepy head in the summer), it said I weighed .6 lbs more than I had an hour ago. Grrr! I am recording the +.6 weight.

Going to the gym was good, and I am going to find time today to take measurements, though I wish I had done this last week.

Today I start week 2!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Loren, you're only doing Phase 1 for a week, not 2? I weigh myself like crazy. TOM just arrived and the good news is that I don't like to eat that much during this time.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #10  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

Food Obsessed: nope, I start week 2 today, not phase 2. One more week and then I can have some yummy yummy sweet potato!

I think my period is over, and hopefully there will be a tiny bit more loss along with that.

Sarayhu: d'oh! I forgot to measure my calves. But I have never really gained any weight there (ankles either). Below the knees, I have nice legs. It is just my thighs (which you could hide a baby in) that are the problem. And my hips... but you know what I mean.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Calves-I lost 2 inches, but it all adds up in the end. Wouldn't it nice to see that you've lost xx inches.

I lost 41.5 inches total and 42 pounds,(but a few of those pounds found me again recently-must remain vigilant)
Sarah
Closed Thread