Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Weight Loss & Chit Chat #205

Hello and to the Jaded Ladies site,

We are a group of ladies that come here for support and encouragement on our weight loss struggles, and we also find time for some chitchatting! So please, won't you join us ?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Sassy - hey, you're doing great. As I said, we'd miss you if you left, and you do brighten my day. Glad to know you aren't going anywhere. If everyone who faltered left, this place would be a ghost town, lol. If I can help you in any way at all, let me know, ok? About the WW at home, it's very do-able with a support group on line like this. I could have never done it without the Jaded Ladies. Past and present members included.

Kim - I hope you find our challenge thread and pop in if/when you're ready for that.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Thanks Jane. Yes I don't think I could do it without your all's help.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:04 PM   #4  
a work in progress

Dinner tonight is BBQ boneless chicken breasts (just done in a skillet, too hot for the oven or to even go outside to grill), 1/2 ear corn on the cob, steamed broccoli, red pepper strips, and shredded carrots (with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan once they are on the plate, yum), and splitting a baked potato w/my sweetie (microwaved). Even if I don't break this plateau this week, I'm OP and feeling good. And I've almost finished my second bottle of water for today -- yay!!!

I've had a migraine for most of the afternoon but it's finally easing up. Just relaxing and playing a puzzle game while I wait for dinner to finish cooking...

If anyone has any good easy recipes that are WW friendly, please share them in the recipe thread. Always looking for new ideas!

Shel, I just noticed on the birthday thread that you and I share the same birthday -- small world, huh?

Kim, I'm going to try zucchini with FF Italian dressing next time I grill. Sounds really good -- and you recommend adding the dressing at the end to keep it from getting soggy? Turkey burgers can be really good, but read the label. Some of them are as high or higher in fat than lean ground beef, but some are very lean. I was surprised to compare labels and find that the turkey bacon has the exact same fat and calories per strip as the good quality leaner center cut pork bacon, so we just started buying that again (turkey bacon was an "ok" substitute, but we like regular bacon much more as an occassional treat). Often I will use the thin deli cut ham -- the brand I buy is 60 cal for 6 slices, and it browns up super quick in a nonstick skillet, nice as a side for breakfast. And I just bought some turkey kielbasa that is really lean -- 70 cal for a 2 oz serving -- so we'll try that this weekend.

Last edited by Katiecat; 07-26-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #5  
~Believe~

Katiecat, Where is the bday thread???? I didn't even know my bday was viewable. lol. Me and my HS best friend shared the same bday. I was only 4 hours older than she was. Small world indeed.

Sounds like you had a good dinner, WTG on the water!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #6  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

Morning All...

If things calm down here at work, I might get time to do individuals again - geez!

Yesterday I never came back to work, what a mess at home. I couldn't get the tank up to the level (salt) it needed to be, dh on phone was being a turd so I did everything I could. We finally (at 1am!!!) got the thing back up & running like it is supposed to. Even went out & bought $$ top off equipment so that should never happen again. So far, the corals are doing ok (WHEW!!!). I am exhausted.

Have a superb day ladies!!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #7  
ugggg.....

Hey all....feeling a little blue with Elvan's death--it has actually hit me harder than I thought that it would. He was more of a father to me and grandfather to my kids than my own father. When I had a problem and needed advice he was the one I went to. (Jane--thanks for the card BTW) I still have my mom and brother who I have a decent relationship with and both are very good to my kids and very there when needed.

Work is still crazy, the co worker who has been out since April has been released to work from home but unless they can set her up with the system on her home computer it doesn't help that much. Billing today--YIKES!!

The trip down to NC and the $ to repair my car has put me behind on my tight budget but I think I have it re-worked out that I will be okay by the end of August (I get paid on Thursdays so I have an extra paycheck--yay!!!) I wish sometimes that I still had the OT option which helped me through the rough patches before when something came up that wasn't in the budget. I told hubby we will be eating lots of veggies and beans--he says thats okay since they are his fave (he was raised completely vegetarian)

Sorry to be a whiner, but it does feel better to talk about it with supportive friends....
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #8  
GmaTo8

Happy Thursday, ladies,

Sassy - a good group like this is like a good bra - you don't know how you ever stayed uplifted without all the support. I just made that up to make you smile, lol, but there's a lot of truth to it, right? tee hee

Katie - your dinner sounds de-lish! I never thought to sprinkle parmesan on carrots, but it sounds great. Hope your migraine is all the way gone. I just bought the July issue of Cooking Light, (shouldn't the August issue be out??) and there are a couple of recipes in there that I want to try. If they're any good, I'll share them on the recipe thread.

Robin - yikes, what a dilemma with your fish. Glad everything turned out ok in the end. Hopefully with the new equipment, you won't ever have to do that again. Bet the corals are beautiful!

Julie - you aren't being a whiner! You're just sharing your reality, and we're here for you, hon. At least you still have your mom and brother, as you said. I know all about budget problems from before I married Neal. I was a single mom and things were tough most of the time, so I know what you mean. At least you'll have things lined out by the end of August, which really isn't that far away. You're welcome for the card. It was the least I could do.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

Today is my body/mind/soul meeting. The leader is back, thank goodness. I chaired it last week while she was out of town, and focused on the Serenity Prayer. Lots to be said for courage, wisdom, and serenity.

I feel like a new person now that I'm back in control of the food. Here's hoping I stay there.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #9  
a work in progress

Happy Thursday, ladies

It's finally cooling off! May not hit 100 today, and the weekend should be about 90. I opened up the windows this morning and turned on the whole house fan; it's only 76 in here right now, and I can't remember the last time it was that cool. The newspaper said 3 elderly men died a couple of days ago, in older hotels downtown that had no A/C...very sad. A couple of elderly women have died locally this last week, too. Statewide they are reporting over 50 deaths due to this heat wave.

Shel, the birthday thread is at the top, right under the Bios, I think. You and I are both 9/24, and Jane and Angie are both 9/11 -- wonder if anyone else here shares the same day? And Jane is right, this group gives better support than a Playtex 18-Hour Cross-Your-Heart!

Jules, you aren't whining...life's just tough right now, and we're here for you I understand about the money thing...I've been off work since 7/6, and still haven't gotten a worker's comp check. Seems they "forgot" to process it in time for last pay period, so hopefully it will be here today. I had to rob Peter to pay Paul last night, as I saw my car insurance was due. Fortunately, I was able to pay over the phone, and some of the other bills I shuffled aren't due until after 8/1...but so is mortgage... I typed "frugal vegetarian" into Google and found a lot of great websites and recipes that look inexpensive and also very nutritious and WW friendly

Robin, glad it looks like you saved your tank! I know that corals can be very delicate -- and expensive! -- I've never had a salt water set-up, but I worked in a pet store years ago. What kinds of fish do you have?

Jane, one of my favorite veggie side dishes right now is broccoli, red pepper strips, and shredded carrots all steamed together (that way the carrots are cooked by the time the broccoli is just done and the red pepper is crisp-tender). Then just sprinkle w/a little salt, a grind or two of pepper, and about a Tbsp of shredded parmesan. I got the idea from the way they serve them at Chili's restaurant. Really tasty and healthy, and very pretty on the plate, lots of color

Gotta rest my arm...hi to everyone else
Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #10  
~Believe~

OMG Thanks You guys! For making me . I needed that and what is even funnier? Is I'm wearing a Playtex 18 hr!

Have a Great Evening Gals!

Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 AM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Just a quick pop in gals....feeling headachey! I think the weather has finally caught up to me and is making my head hurt. At least it's only getting into the 90's.

I will pop back in, in the morning!

Hugs
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #12  
~Believe~

Angry Ughhhhhhhhhhh!

OH I'm SO MAD!

I had started writing out this nice LONG post and right smack dab in the middle of it WHAMMO! Everything was gone!!!!!!!!! Gone, gone forever. Never to return! lolllllllllllllll.

Anyways. I am not retyping it all and frankly I don't think I can remember half of what I typed now! lol.

So just know that I am thinking of you all.................

Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #13  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

Morning!

Murphys Law is in effect I swear it! LOL

Jules... I can relate on that one - when we struggle, my dh works his fanny off & unfortunately everything right now is a financial struggle so he is working like mad & still hard to stay above water. Then of course something dies or breaks & you need a new one and of course it is something you need like a stove! Ours goes in threes without fail. They better do something fast though, I have never seen so many houses for sale here in my life (GM closings & major layoffs here). Folks are sinking everywhere. My dh thinks I was kidding when I told him we will be living in the 5th wheel if something doesn't give soon.

Katiecat... no fishies yet, we wanted to wait until after our trips & we really can't afford the ones we really want just yet LOL. We are mainly working on boosting the corals, it is more a coral reef than a salt water view. Those have more fish, where ours will have much fewer fish - I am going for the WOWZA look

Marti... I hope your head feels better!

Sassy... LOL I hate it when my pc does that! or you get timed out - drives me nutso!

Hi to Jane, Michelle, Cristina, Sue, & ALex & anyone I forgot, sorry if I did!

My software here is still not up & running so we are sooooooooooo far behind I am freakin. Either way, in 3 hours I am outta here (thank goodness, I need this break LOL). This will be my last post until I get back the week of Aug 7th. Everyone have a great day/weekend/week!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #14  

Height: 5'1"

Friday!!!! Hurray it's Friday!!!

This week both flew and dragged, if that's possible.

Ok, all week I've been getting up early so I have a couple hours to get ready and relax a bit before work. Wanted to see how I do getting up early.
Well I think I'm ready to do my morning walks! Been walking on lunch breaks at work in the cool halls.....but I'd rather relax on my lunch break so I'm thinking it's time to take advantage of cool morning weather and walk around the neighborhood. I would much rather ride my bike and get better exercise.....but still haven't aired those tires! I think it's time for me to drag that thing out and just haul it to the gas station myself and do it.

I can't remember what all was said in the last thread so I will start from this fresh thread.

Jane--How did your meeting go? Anything that you'd want to share w/us to get us inspired and motivated? I wish the gym gal at my work had group meetings. I'll have to look into it more and see what she has to offer. Now that I'm on days I might be able to make it to something.

Shel--How cool! You and Katie are birthday sisters! I worked w/a gal at my last job that shared a birthday with me. She always called me her birthday sister. We still wish each other a Happy Birthday through email even though we haven't seen each other since Sony closed.

Katie--Your dinner sounds so good! Last week James and I had some corn on the cob, he doesn't like eating it off the cob so he cuts it off......thats when we noticed just how much corn really comes off one cob! He said "geez, it's like I'm eating a can of corn" Never realize that. So now I try to eat only half a cob.

Jules-- Never a whiner here! You're going through tough times and we all understand. Just know that we're all thinking of you and your family and you can come here anytime to let it out so you don't keep all in. We care about you!!

Robin--Wheres my invitation to go on vacation with you??? I hope you have a fabulous time and keep in mind how you have a jealous cyber friend sitting here wishing she could go too!

Hello to all you gals out there. Angie, Michelle, Kim, Kathy, and the rest of you!

I think it's time for me to get ready for work.

Have a great Friday!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #15  
GmaTo8

Hiya ladies,

Katie - wow, the veggies you fixed sound so good, and colorful, too. I like recipes like that where a person can have a good-sized portion w/no guilt. Hope you do get some cooler weather this weekend. We just had a shower and now the humidity is unbearable!

Sassy - hHey, we do what we can to get a giggle around here, lol. About the lost post, , I know what you mean! It happens once in awhile to me, too, and it's so frustrating! Now, I try to remember to hit "copy" after I get several responses done, just in case.

Robin - just in case you're reading this, have a great vacation! We'll miss you. Be safe, and have fun. Send me a postcard.

Marti - I love the meetings! First, we open with a prayer and talk about anything that's on our minds, good, bad or in-between. Then we have a topic for the week. This week it was forgiveness. We also always talk about dieting tips, recipes, etc. I told the group I feel like this is IT for me - that I'm in a good place, mentally, to stay OP. Then we close with prayers. If you suggest it to the gym lady, she may get a support group together, like you said. That would be great!

Hello to everyone else reading this.

Oldest DGD Mackenzie the 7 y/o is here today because her daycare is closed. She helped me make some fresh fruit salad, and we worked a kid's jigsaw puzzle, then visited Mary and her crew.

Gotta run... bbl.....
Closed Thread