Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #21

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I just got home from a two hour lunch with another teacher. We don't see each other during the summer so it took that long to catch up. I have lots I could be doing, but would rather sit here and chat for a bit. We just hit 104 degrees according to the computer. It is hot out there! I feel sorry for animals that are outside -- farm or otherwise. We have some DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, people in this town that don't have a clue how to take care of their animals!

"Gma" -- I am too lazy to go back and reread your posts, but Jack's CT did turn out ok, right? Then I read the previous post and now I am confused. Do you run your furnace fan continuously? When we put in our new furnace and air conditioner the installer told us that letting the fan run would circulate the air to the upstairs better. We don't do it during the winter months because I like a cooler room to sleep in. Our bedroom is on the west side and it does make a difference when it is really hot. Poor Butterscotch! One of our teachers did the same thing to her cat only the dryer was in the basement and she was upstairs listening to it clunk. By the time they got the cat out he had burned the pads on his paws and knocked all of his teeth out! Butterscotch was lucky that you heard him!

I do need to get busy since I've goofed off most of the day so far. Have a nice "rest of the day" and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa where it is HOT!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #2  

Good morning everyone. My eyes were bugging me last night so I took out my contacts and am wearing my old glasses. I feel like I can't see in the darn things. The prescription is pretty old, but they do have bifocals in them. I only take my contacts out once every two weeks so really don't need the glasses anyway.

Jean: Jack is fine. His test came back normal and it is calcification on his lung and nothing more. He has to have another one in a year just to be sure, but they said he is fine. Yes, the fan runs. We just have lousy insulation here and the doors and windows don't seal well so you lose heat or cool. Without spending a great deal of money our house is not ever going to be energy efficient and to tell the truth, since we have an attic and live in connected type homes, I am not sure we could even then. The house doesn't get hot, the thermostat just goes up some during the middle of the day. I have blinds and heavier curtains on all the windows so it keeps the sun out pretty much too. That POOR cat! I thank God I heard the little dickens when I did that he didn't get hurt. That's a lesson well learned, check the dryer before shutting the door!

My ring is absolutely gorgeous. Jack even asked a couple times last night to look at it. I have also lost weight in my fingers so it is a bit lose, but I have arthritis in my hands and my knuckles are bigger so I HAVE to wear a size 7 to get it over my knuckles. I feel like a princess!

I didn't get a thing done yesterday. I was so worried about Jack's CT results I couldn't put my mind around doing anything. I forced myself to sit and read a book and try and keep my mind off it. By the time they called, it was so hot I just said forget it and I would double up today if need be. I try and get everything done so I have weekends free, but that doesn't always work. I turned my ankle trying to get to the phone yesterday so that is pretty sore to be doing anything like vacuuming or mopping where I have to stand on it a lot. I am going to skip the downstairs mopping and get the bathrooms cleaned first thing this morning and do the little bit of dusting upstairs.

Hope everyone has a great day! I sure do miss not having Maggie around. Hope they are enjoying their time away from modernization!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #3  
Web Nana

Faye: First things first!! What wonderful news that Jack's catscan was OK! That sure takes the pressure off your nerves. When something like that is praying on your mind it is no wonder you couldn't keep to your schedule of housework. Glad all worked out for you and Jack now just to get his foot back to normal.

Jean: I hope your lunch was in a nice air cooled restaurant. It is a good thing to get together with friends especially those you haven't seen in a while.

Susan: Hope your home health aid has learned to be on time. Waiting for someone is no fun, especially when you plan to use her time there to do errands that you otherwise couldn't get to.

Well the last two days have been fun. Tuesday was DD#2's birthday and although she worked she was home at 3pm. Kerri had the table set and all things ready for when I arrived to help her start cooking. Mom was completely surprised and said "So that is what all the whispering was all about." Kerri had it planned down to the last detail....crackers and cheese and tomato slices with mozzarela cheese, basil, olive oil for appetizers. She even made her dad go get wine for the dinner....white for with the appetizers and red for dinner. The lamb, potatoes, asparagus and corn dinner went over well and I think Chris was over whelmed by her daughter's efforts .

Yesterday we went to the cape to visit our friend. Of course, Jack took his usual dip in the ocean. He said the water was wonderful but I sat up on the porch with my friend and had a great chat. She is coming along OK but I think she is as good as she will get. Needs the walker and takes massive amounts of meds. However they have a visiting nurse come in once a week and she sets up the meds for the week and she takes Toni's BP, temp and draws blood for a quick test. Yesterday the blood was a bit thin so she called the doc for advise re the Cumidin that Toni takes. Probable not to take that night's pill. It is good that they are getting some professional supervision.

Today is catch up day.....my how the laundry can pile up...especially towels. With the heat wave we have been taking so many showers that I almost ran out of towels.

Gloria in MA....on to the laundry.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is supposed to be "cooler" here today . . . the weatherman says 89 so we'll see. Yesterday was miserable! The fabric I picked out for valances over the vertical blinds has been discontinued so the curtain lady is coming again this afternoon. I hate picking out stuff! I spent last evening ripping apart old magnetic photo albums with Jason's baby pictures in them. I'm sure that Beth doesn't have nearly as many pictures as Jason has. We lived in Ohio when he was born and I think all I must have done was take pictures of him. Not much else planned for the day. I have to decide what food to take to MIL's on Sunday. The kids will all be there and this will be our one and only time (I think) when we can all get together this summer. I'd like to make ice cream so need to dig the machine out of the basement.

"Gma" -- Boy! I sure hope the "clean house inspector" doesn't pay you a visit until you get all of your cleaning back on schedule! I do
understand not being able to settle down to do any one thing while waiting for the call about Jack. I'm so glad that all is well for him! We are waiting for a picture of the ring! It sounds beautiful! I miss Maggie too; I can't imagine living without electricity. She is a better sport than I would be.

Gloria -- I'm so glad the birthday dinner went well and your daughter was surprised. Surprising her was the best part! The menu sounded so good! I'm glad that your friend is doing as well as she is. My MIL has said for years that growing old is not for sissies! I'm beginning to believe her!

I need to vacuum the fur hunks and make a grocery list. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 AM   #5  

Good morning girls! Boy, I don't know how much longer this country can stand this hot weather and no rain. I feel like we live in the desert here. It clouded all up yesterday morning and I was sure it was going to rain, but it just moved on through and by noon it was near 90 again.

Jean: You are such a funny funny lady..... I felt so guilty that I cleaned at 6 am yesterday morning! I have floors to mop today and I dread it. It isn't the mopping part, it is the picking everything up off the floor and putting it back down part. It has to be done though and I see the cat and dog have pet food strewn all over the place as usual so I am going to have to get that done. Hope you can find the fabric that is just right for your windows. I enjoy doing that sort of stuff so if I lived close I would help you out!

I am including the picture of the ring. This is actually the picture from where he bought it not the actual ring but it gives you an idea what it looks like. I really love it, though it takes getting used to because of the way the sapphires are set in the ring.

I got the nicest voicemail from our dd last night. I don't know why Jack didn't answer the phone. Her birthday is today and I sent her a silver musical trinket box and had it engraved. She said she didn't think her husband could top that! Bless her heart. It is no nice to have inlaw kids that are easy to get along with. She is a real peach. I can't wait to go up there in Sept and see them. We haven't seen them since last Thanksgiving. With all the medical stuff with Jack this year, we just couldn't get up there. We usually try and go a couple times a year at least.

I had swiss steak and carrots on the menu for last night, but I looked at the recipe before I started it and OOPS, there were mushrooms, a nono, whole tomatos, a nono, and something else that Jack won't eat. I decided to just make my own to I just browned the meat in a little skillet, chopped up some celery and onions and half bag of those baby carrots. I put the meat in the crockpot, then the veggies and in a bowl mixed a can of tomato sauce, a can of ff beef broth and 2 packages of the dryed gravy mix. Whisked it all together and poured it on top and cooked it all day. I then thickened it just a tad for gravy and Jack loved it. The only bad thing is the salt in the gravy mix of course, but I had to improvise and though Jack takes BP meds, he really doesn't have high blood pressure, they just keep him on it because of the heart issues. Once in awhile I guess it doesn't hurt to have a little extra salt.

I took out chicken to thaw yesterday so I am deciding what I want to do with it. Maybe I wil make some dumplings with it.

My new bedding for my bed should be here tomorrow. I am so excited. When we bought the new bed, I bought a bed in a bag and the comforter is way too short. When JC Penney sent out there end of summer sale catalogue I found a 7 piece set that will look nice with our sheets and walls so I ordered it. It was on back order for like 2 weeks or so, but the tracking said it should be delivered tomorrow. It comes with the decorator pillows and everything. I am coming up in the world!

Everyone have a great day and try and stay cool.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 11-30-2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! We did get some rain but I don't think much because the deck wasn't wet where the tree branches hang over. I'd moved my plants to that side so they wouldn't be in the hot sun all afternoon. Guess I'll water today! I need to get started on laundry. I've been lazy about doing the bedding from when the kids were here the 4th. Some days I feel like all I do is spin my wheels!

"Gma" -- Your ring is beautiful! I'm sure you enjoy wearing it! You buy such thoughtful gifts for your family and it's nice that they appreciate them. Your dil sounds alot like mine. Amanda is so appreciative whenever we help them with babysitting, a project, or give them gifts. I tell her as my parents always told me and that is we like to see them enjoy whatever we can do for them now. Mopping must count for exercise, right? I don't like to mop either, but feel like I do a better job when I get down on my hands and knees -- that is rare! Your menu last night sounds delicious! I wish I liked to cook. New bedding is fun!

I need to keep moving and get my wheels spinnin'. Have a super duper day . . . you know that the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #7  

I am sooooo irritated. I have an eye doctor's appt a week from today and the receptionist called and said when she tried to verify our vision plan she couldn't. She said she would call them and call me back. She called back and said we expired a YEAR ago! I had to cancel my appt. I sent an email to the vision plan and got mad, then called Jack and told him he has to find out what is going at the City of Memphis end because he has premiums taken out of his check everytime for vision insurance. Someone has screwed up somewhere and I am down to my last two sets of contacts, which is 4 weeks so somebody better get on the BALL!!! I don't want to have to PAY for my appt and contacts when I have insurance and the insurance won't reimburse us like they do with medical stuff.

I still haven't gotten these floors mopped. I have been kind of mopey today, just feeling icky. Not sick, just I don't want to do anything, but I really need to get this done and it isn't like it is the whole house, it is just the entranceway, the kitchen, laundry area and our teeny downstairs half bath.

We are going to be taking Thomas to Chuck E Cheese a week from Sunday and we have to go early because she wants him home before 12. So looks like we are going to be having for a late breakfast! I think their pizza is nasty. I may just get a salad. I just haven't seen him since we took him to Nashville and I miss him. It is hard to get his parents to not be involved in something with him so I take what I can get.

I am stalling girls, and that's no good so talk to you later. I am going to pretend you are all yelling in my ear to mop, mop, mop!

Faye
Old 07-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies. We had thunderstorm watches all around us, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, but nothing for our county. Not a drip of rain! This is starting to get serious. I just looked at the weather and it shows thundershowers at 6 am, but sunny by 7 so it isn't going to be a long one if we get anything at all.

I am more than miffed about my eye dr appt. Seems the stupid City of Memphis in March of 2005 changed over to a new computer system. I guess when October rolled around, those people who physically didn't go back down to benefits and sign BACK up during open enrollment got dropped. No one told ANY of the employees that some people might have problems and I was one of those dropped so I have NO insurance until January of next year. On top of that, Jack has to go downtown in October and sign me back up again! UGH! When Jack called and talked to someone down there the attitude was, "Oh well, you know what happens." Jack told the woman, you weren't doing your job. She said, "Well, we knew that this program would cause problems, but we of course didn't know who it would affect." He told her they had NO paper trail or anything indicating the people who needed to resign and she said basically that stuff happens. No apology, nothing. GRRRRRR! I am now going to have to pay about $250 out of pocket to get my exam, fitting and 6months of contacts! I usually pay around $80.

Jean: About once a year, I get down on my hands and knees and do the floors, but I feel crippled by the time I am finished. No matter what I do, they look bad because they all need to be replaced, so I have to just put it out of my mind and clean the best I can. There are areas where the old glue has come up around the edges and dirt has gotten into it. I have tried everything and it won't come up. I have one of those Black and Decker power scrubber things and even it doesn't take up the gunk. I have tried ammonia, bleach, rubbing alcohol... I am such a clean nut that it bugs me a lot, but I have to let it go or it would drive me mad! I did mop btw. You know me, I may say I won't then I do it anyway!

I just finished a great book. A few years back there was a movie with Denzil Washington and Angelina Jolie called the "Bone Collector." The author of the book that movie was based on is the man who wrote Cold Moon the book I just finished. Everytime I would think I knew WHY the antagonist was killing people, something else would happen and I was wrong. It was a great book and one of those page turners you didn't want to put down. I have 10 books on order, 4 have been shipped and should be here soon. I hope so as I am down to my last book. I am one of those one time only readers, so it is really a waste of money to buy books, but the library here only gives you 7 days for new books and the closest library has limited hours. I would be running to the library all the time so I said, "to heck with it" and started buying them again. When I get a box full, I take them to our library and donate them.

Nothing earth shattering going on today. We should go to the precinct and vote early, but the bedding is supposed to come today by FedEx and they always make me sign. I don't want to have to run it down next week so I am staying home until it gets delivered. We have a wacky primary with some having party affiliations and some no party affiliations. It is also a huge ballot AND there are new voting machines so the lines for early voting have been really long. Jack is taking off next Friday for a physical therapy appt so maybe we can go after he gets home.

Everybody have a wonderful weekend and try and stay cool!

Faye
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I've been doing laundry, talking on the phone, and running errands this morning. Bob is gone for the day on his tractor ride so I am on my own schedule. It's a nice sunny, cooler day today.

"Gma" -- It is so aggravating when insurance gets screwed up and especially so because "someone" didn't do their job! We've never had vision insurance although we can use the cafeteria plan through the school. If we don't use all the money we lose it so I just never started. I glad your floors got mopped . . . I was worried! NOT! There is a Chucky Cheese in the Sioux City mall now, but we have never gone there. It is so busy on the weekends when we are usually there that we don't even try to eat while we are there. I hope your bedding comes early today so you don't spend the whole day waiting for it.

I need to fold clothes and start another load. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies! It is a bit cooler here this morning too. I had a huge mess in the pool yesterday. Friday night late we must have had a wind storm because the pool was full of leaves, flower petals and pine needles. WHAT A MESS! I couldn't swim in it so spent about 20 minutes trying to skim it with the net, but the net has torn away from the rim so it kept collapsing. I did the best I could, got in, swished it away from me and spent half an hour swimming and picking and throwing. Not very good exercise.

Our comforter set is gorgeous, very luxurious and expensive looking. It is heavy and not thin and the pillows are beautifully done too. I wasn't expecting too much for $130 but is was well worth the money. Well, ok, I just looked at the Penney's catalogue and the regular price was $275 so I guess that is why it was as nice as it was. We DO need king size pillows though because the shams are huge. Jack doesn't like them because they are heavy and braided around the edge, but I told him I would take his pillow out of it every night when I came upstairs that it was just for looks.

My niece is STILL in the hospital. Over the last couple days they have gotten her up to 13,000 platelets and if they can get a handle on her stomach and headache issues and get her above 20,000 the hemotologist said she can go home. My sister and bil are both missing work and her law firm has finally put their foot down and said she either has to take leave or come back and work. I can understand that as she has been gone almost 3 weeks and I am sure she doesn't have any sick time or vacation time left. I am hoping they can get her on the mend so she can go home and the poor thing said she just wants a home cooked meal. I told her mom to tell her if Aunt Donna were there I would cook her whatever she wanted.

I don't think I am going to go swimming this morning. I didn't feel well most of the day yesterday and I am not too perky this morning. I guess I won't balloon up if I don't go one day.

Everyone have a good Sunday and enjoy your day.

Faye
Old 07-24-2006, 12:13 AM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! We spent the better part of the day and into the evening at the lake with MIL. The kids and grandkids came; it was a nice day without a south wind so those playing in the water had fun. No one could get "Wie" to settle down for a nap so I took her to MIL's bedroom in the back. She has a squeaky ceiling fan and a squeaky rocker -- 2 rocks back and forth did the trick for a 45 minute catnap! Just as we were all picking up to leave a couple stopped by to visit. The kids left and we got to visit which put us almost 2 hours behind.

When we got home I had a message from the teacher who collects cats and he agreed to come and see the latest stray. He is coming back tomorrow and will take the cat to the vet, then home to join the 25+ other cats in his family.

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better by the time you ready this! I was hoping your niece would be home and on the mend by now. It is a mystery, that's for sure. I'm glad you are pleased with your new bedding.

I am tired and heading to bed! I hope you all have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #12  

Good morning gals! Jack has left for work and it is all quiet in the house except for the washer draining out and spinning. I want to get on the ball and get some cleaning done before I go to the pool and then finish up after I come back. I didn't do anything yesterday or Saturday and I am still feeling icky but I have to keep up with things. I am not sick, just having a lot of menopause issues like sweats, hot flashes, insomnia etc that has me drained. This too shall pass so I just have to hang in there. Didn't help last night that the cat and dog had me blocked in on both sides. I almost fell off the bed once. When they do that, it is like being in a coffin. I finally got mad and forced the dog to move, which is the easier of the two and he weighs a lot less, but by then I was awake and it was hard to go back to sleep again.

We have to get the car into the shop this weekend. The ac fan has quit! With only one car, we have to try and do it over the weekend or rent a car and right now there are no deals anywhere to rent a car. I am not paying $30 a day for a cracker box. Jack is off Friday for a PT appt so we will go out to the base shopping after his appt as it is in the general direction of the base, then Jack can get up early and take it to Firestone at 7 AM on Saturday. Poor man has to suffer until then.

We are hoping my niece gets to go home today. She was at 19,000 yesterday and if the stomach settles down she can go home today. She wants to go swimming and such and she can't be out in the sun or this stuff can start all over I guess. I told Neita to talk to the doctor about putting high SPF on her and letting her swim either early in the morning as soon as the pool opens or in the evening when the sun is going down. She can't ever go back to diving and I know that really hurts her because she loved it so much. She has always played some kind of sport and that pretty much is out anymore too. Must be horrible to live in sunny California and not be able to be out in it much.

You gals have a great day and stay cool.

Faye
Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #13  

Quick note to let the Flowers know I have not wilted away - still working on getting the bugs out of the new system but at least we are up and running. Worked yesterday for 6 hours. I tell you, I'm getting too old for 7 days a week! This weekend we are putting in a new phone system. Hope it works okay on Monday because next Monday I have to take my husband to have his heel debreeded so they can put the vacuum pump back on it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! Well, I have wasted most of the day! I read the Sunday papers and moved the stray cat into the garage so my "hero" could pick her up and take her to the vet for her shots and check up. I am leaving the empty cat food/water dishes outside so my cat hating neighbor will think I am still feeding cats! I need to get busy and do some cleaning. My college roommate is in Iowa from Michigan and called to get together. They will only be in town on Wed. so we'll get together after I have my much needed perm. Tomorrow we go to Sioux City so Bob can have his root canal redone from 1992. He's going to a root canal specialist to the tune of $850 up front.

"Gma" -- You are so faithful to your cleaning schedule! I'm not and wish I were. I will blame it on my school year schedule. I hope it isn't too costly to fix your car's ac. I can't imagine being without one although I do remember the first one we got and it was mounted on the inside of the car. Did the doctors ever figure out what was wrong with your niece for sure? That will be too bad if she enjoys sports and can't participate any more.

Well, I do need to get something accomplished before Bob gets home! Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #15  

Good morning girls! Hope your day has started out well. I need a good 8 hours sleep and I would be a lot better. I can't seem to sleep more than an hour at a time. It is discouraging to say the least.

Susan: Hope everything is now up and running and you can begin to stop by a lot more often. New systems always seem, to have glitches here and there, don't they? Hope the situation with your dh's foot comes out ok.

Jean: Have fun with your friend. I am sure it is nice to get together with someone you haven't seen in a long time. As for my niece, she has something called ITP. I guess some people have a virus and somehow don't fight it off properly or something and then they have the situation where their platelets drop. They said she will have to deal with this the rest of her life and go through more treatments from time to time. She has to go next week for another blood test and a catscan to make sure the brain bleeds have completely stopped.

My dil called yesterday and we chatted for about half an hour. She thanked me profusely again for her gift (it wasn
that big of a deal, truly) and we talked about family and such. I think I told you once that her father is incarcerated in a prison in the Boston area. He has severe heart problems and basically needs some kind of major valve surgery they are not doing. They went to visit him a couple weeks ago and his liver is now not functioning properly and his body is not processing and eliminating his bodily wastes properly so basically it is poisoning him on top of that. Man did a VERY stupid thing years and years ago and has been in prison since then. He is a legal alien, but since he is a felon, cannot gain citizenship, so they have been told the minute he is released he is being deported back to Mexico. Alicia said he would die quickly if that happens but they haven't been able to get the government to change their mind. In this day and age of trying to control illegals crossing the border, working here etc., it doesn't surprise me the government has dug in their heels. I just feel sorry for her and her two sisters. They are the innocents here. The real shocker is his BROTHER is a Los Angeles Homicide Detective!

Well, no news here, unless mopping floors is exciting. Have a good day today and keep cool!

Faye