Old 07-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Exclamation Madeira, Portugal for Christmas !???!!!

OK, so now I am totally freaking out!

Rudy's Mom has offered (if it all works out, of course) to take our entire family to Madeira, Portugal for 17 days over Christmas from Dec 17th to Jan 4th. We'd be renting some kind of place while there and spending lots of time with Rudy's Uncle by marriage's family (Dino grew up there).

I'm terrified. I've never traveled further than Alberta to the East of me and Southern California to the South.

Rudy's aunt is not as big as me, and their pet name for her is "El Gorgo"

I'm just so scared because I've been in this terrible gaining funk....I want to start NOW so I can lose as much as possible before going over there.

I lost 40 pounds in 5 months last year, and now I have about 5 months until this possible trip.....what to do????

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I think it sounds like a blast!! I can understand being nervous about weight, it limits me from stepping out of my comfort zone all the time, but usually when I do make myself do it, I'm glad I did. I LOVE to travel and one of the many reasons I want to lose this weight is so that I feel comfortable doing it and doing whatever I want to do once I'm there, like I went parasailing when I went to Puerto Vallarta, but I would never dare do that at my weight now. Maybe this trip will be the motivation you need to get back on track, but even if you don't, don't let it stop you from going and having a great time!!!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL
I LOVE to travel and one of the many reasons I want to lose this weight is so that I feel comfortable doing it and doing whatever I want to do once I'm there
That's one of my big reasons for getting back in shape as well. I have never been thin, but I've been fit in the past and traveling is so much easier and more enjoyable when you're comfortable in your own skin. My goal is to hike the Camino de Santiago in Spain and I really want to be fit enough to do it without huge amounts of pain.

Linda, try not to focus so much on the 'losing pounds' part of your goal (I know, easier said than done) and focus on the 'feeling good' part. It's amazing how knowing that you're working on changing yourself for the better boosts your confidence, even if other people don't see the changes right away. I hope you do get to go, and that you have a wonderful time! I've heard Portugal is incredible.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #4  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

How exciting! I've never been outside the US so anything and everything sounds exotic to me. I hope, if you go, you have a blast. It might be motivating to give yourself a little challenge but try not to go overboard with it. I'm going on a Carribean cruise in September and I'd love to lose tons and tons of weight before then. I using it as a motivational push but trying not to make it seem like a deadline, a hard task but I don't want to overdo it.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Wow Linda ~ maybe this is just what you needed to help you out of your recent funk and help you get back on track.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Linda -

This trip sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Please don't make your enjoyment of the trip (and anticipation of the trip) contingent on a huge weight loss. It will be great if you lose the weight but let yourself enjoy yourself regardless.

BTW, how are you doing otherwise?
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I love to travel and I have never let my weight bother me. At 350 lbs or so, I went to greece. I even went to a nude beach (but I wasn't nude!). My most recent trip was to China, where no one is fat. I really do mean no one. In the big cities, certain people were a bit pudgy but in the smaller cities, everyone was skinny. I wasn't bothered and it was never an issue.

I'd concentrate on improving your stamina so that you can do touristy things without feeling tired. Also, be sure to take comfortable shoes. Lots of older countries (as opposed to the US) have streets that are difficult to walk on without a good shoe. Portugal should be lots of fun, so go, relax and have a good time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #8  
Aleecia

Wow Linda, this sounds so awesome. It might be exactly what you needed to get your motivation back.
Maybe set up some mini goals as you prepare for a wonderful trip.

Good Luck, I know you can do it!
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

That's exciting, Linda! Portugal is lovely. I always wanted to go to Madeira, but never managed to get there. Grumble, grumble.

It would be great for you to get back on track, of course, but I don't think it's wise to put too much pressure on yourself right now. Setting deadlines of X pounds by Y date has proven counter-productive for me. Now I just work on the things I can control, i.e., my behaviours, and trust that my weight will reduce as a result. The loss is a bit slower, but much less stressful.

I love nelie's advice to work on your stamina. I've done a lot of travelling, and it sucks being unable to manage the physical stuff on holidays.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #10  

Go go go go go! You will love it, it's so fascinating being in a foreign country. Your perspective on your and our (America's) place in the world will be forever changed. Go! Let the trip motivate you, but don't let it stop you. Even if you don't lose another pound between now and then, GO!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
I lost 40 pounds in 5 months last year, and now I have about 5 months until this possible trip.....what to do????
Give it your best shot!! You can do it! I know you can!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I agree with Ali about putting too much pressure on yourself. For me, that would cause stress, which would cause major binging. But maybe you're a person who looks forward to that kind of challenge?? Since you know what you did to lose the weight before, at least it's not new territory. Improving your stamina is a great idea.

The idea of going abroad scares me, too, so I can sympathize. But it's such a great opportunity that you really have to put aside all your fears and go and enjoy yourself.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #13  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Linda,

This sounds like an awesome trip. I will agree with Nelie and work on the stamina. You will be comfortable on the plane because I have little trouble on the planes and I out weigh you by 45 or so pounds.....I am 5' 6" or a little taller.

I also agree with the idea of a lot of comfortable shoes. Streets in a lot of the European countries and Asia are a heck of a lot older than those in North American so they tend to be paved over older walking paths. This tends to cause cracks and uneveness.

As far as comments about size.....I get them in Korea all the time. In fact sometimes I wish I did not understand the language as much as I do now. I try to ignore but it can hurt. Although nothing is as rude as the guy who screamed out his car window at me the other day when he saw me walking. Refering to my size.....ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ......knucklehead......

I think you will have a great time. Just work on what you can to lose and maybe if you hear a comment (I hope you don't though.) say something about how much weight you just lost. It tends to stop comments.

You can do it and you will have a great time!!!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think this sounds like a blast! I am always one up for adventure. I think that you will do well and get to where you want to be by the time the trip rolls around. I do agree with the others though, don't put too many expectations on yourself. I certainly loosing slower this time than I usually do, partially because I am doing it right this time. Good luck and have fun!
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #15  

I wanna come!!!!! We're trying to come up with a Christmas plan............hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Anyways, don't sweat being on the larger side, there will be lots of people there (perhaps not locals) who are your size or bigger even if you don't lose another pound. It's a big holiday destination for Brits.

It's such a great opportunity for you!

http://p-nand-q.com/pictures/madeira/p7200443.jpg

Put this pic on your desk top to inspire you!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote