Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Plunge to Brown Rice

Finally, I have gotten off my last processed grain. I have been taking it slow only changing one thing at a time. I started with bread, white to weat. Then went to tortillas, then to pasta. Last night I finally switched to brown rice. I start with things that are high in flavor so I don't notice the change as much. I made chicken and rice burritos one of my family's favorites. I have now switched the tortillas to wheat (that was a while ago) and last night switched the rice to brown. I had a really hard time with this switch. I am not sure why, every other switch was fairly easy. This one not as easy for me. Last night as I am eating them, I am wondering what took me so long to do this. The rice does not taste bad and I like eating guilt free. Anyway my thought for the day on switching to whole grains is it does not take very long and it is not very hard, but oh so worth it in the long run when you eat so much healthier and good for you food.

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Trish -- I had many of your same experiences. I think a lot of not liking some of the foods was a mental block. I actually like brown rice MORE now! I like the nutty flavor. Try cooking it with some (low sodium) chicken broth if you want to up the flavor!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love brown rice. I also love my whole wheat bread. (Favorite favorite brand is "The Baker" as they don't add any sweeteners at all to their whole wheat bread).

I will occassionally have different types of rice including those I find in the asian market. I figure that unlike our traditional enriched long grain rice, they aren't processed to death.

I'll also have other forms of bread, well basically sourdough and rye. Both also aren't processed to death and are gentle on insulin production (for bread that is).

I generally avoid tortillas and pasta, although I'll have corn tortillas occassionally.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I love brown rice.

Try it with chili powder mixed in. YUMMMMM!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I also made the switch to whole grains fairly gradually, although I've eaten whole-wheat breads almost exclusively my entire life.

I really wouldn't thank you for white pasta these days. I cooked some up for hubby the other day, and tasted it to check it was cooked. Heh, compared to its whole-grain counterpart, it's really lacking in flavour.

I also love brown rice now, but it took some getting used to for me. White Basmati rice was one of the most difficult things for me to move away from because it was a real staple for me--easily 4 or 5 times a week, and more often than not, with a creamy curry dumped on top! Even now, I can smell its gorgeous aroma.... Still, brown Basmati is what I buy, and it's almost as tasty....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on making the switch! I actually grew up eating brown rice and wheat bread but hadn't been eating brown rice lately due to the time it takes to cook. Then someone here mentioned frozen brown rice @ Whole Foods and - woo hoo - back in the brown rice business! I also bought but haven't tried quinoa yet.

I would like to find a whole wheat bread that has a firmer texture. I currently eat Pepperidge Farm 9 Grain or 15 Grain but it's really too soft for me. I'd welcome any suggestions.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I love brown rice and other whole grains, they just taste so much more satisfying. They might take a bit of getting used to, but it's worth it! I don't mind quinoa, but don't tend to eat it that much at the moment. I might have to find a good quinoa recipe to try over the next couple of weeks.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Congrats on making the switch! I actually grew up eating brown rice and wheat bread but hadn't been eating brown rice lately due to the time it takes to cook. Then someone here mentioned frozen brown rice @ Whole Foods and - woo hoo - back in the brown rice business! I also bought but haven't tried quinoa yet.

I would like to find a whole wheat bread that has a firmer texture. I currently eat Pepperidge Farm 9 Grain or 15 Grain but it's really too soft for me. I'd welcome any suggestions.
That was probably me mentioning the Trader Joe's frozen brown rice. They are always OUT of it. I wish I had a bigger freezer, I end up buying at least 2 boxes at a time, just in case. I love it, tastes great, ready in 3 minutes, no messy pot.

For whole grain bread, my current favorite is Healthy Way organic sprouted 20 grain. Definitely not squishy! It's weird, the website has the same logo as my bread sitting in front of me, but doesn't have the kind (20 grain) that I like. It also looks like the company is Canadian, easily available where I am in WA state, but maybe not for people in other locations.

Quinoa is great, it is easier to cook than rice. Here is my one of my favorite quinoa recipes:

Quinoa Sweet Potato Quesadillas

1 cup quinoa, washed/drained (use brown rice if you can't find quinoa) I never bother washing/draining quinoa, but I know some people say it removes a bitter taste (I don't notice this, so don't bother)
1 large sweet potato/yam (diced)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (I used more)
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can green chiles
2 tbs minced cilantro
Some low fat cheese
Whole wheat, low fat tortillas
Salsa

Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water. When done, set aside.

While the quinoa is simmering, I cut up the sweet potatoes into small pieces (dice sized) and spray a cookie sheet with PAM. I bake the potatoes for around 20 minutes (shaking often) until they are soft and getting crispy. (if I don't have time, I nuke them for 5 minutes!)

Saute onion, garlic. Stir in tomato (crushed, with juice), black beans, chiles, cilantro. Add quinoa, potatoes. Season with salt and pepper (I added some red pepper flakes, because i like spicy). Stir and heat through.

Put in tortillas, add some cheese so it sticks together, grill on both sides. Top with lots of salsa. Made enough for 3 nights! (I just grilled a new one each night. Last time I made it, I added some spinach leaves to mine, it was pretty good.

For quesadillas, I either use the 2 small tortilla/sandwich method or the one large tortilla folded over like an omelette method.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #9  

Brown rice as the hardest for me as well, I have been using it and like it fine, it's just been harder to make the switch. Now the Trader Joe's frozen brown rice sounds right up my alley!! I love anything easy, lol. I keep saying that I am going to get up to Trader Joes, it's a bit of a drive from my house (an hour or so) but I haven't done it yet, I am going to really need to do it next week. I wish they would put one in my town. WTG on making the switch Trish!!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I forgot to mention that I usually make enough rice to eat for a week and then reheat it for lunches and dinners. I have a rice cooker which makes it super easy to cook initially.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Glory, that recipe sounds fabulous. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to try it out very soon.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

We've eaten brown rice off and on for years. Currently on. I even made the leftovers into a rice pudding for DH - he liked it better than with white. It's the time thing that gets me. I do cook at least a double batch and use the rest reheated. No Trader Joe's in all of Alaska, sigh. In 2000 we lived in Seattle for 8 months and I loved having TJs and Whole Foods nearby.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't think I have even heard of Trader Joes. I am sure it is not around here as we are a fairly small place. Glory that recipe does sound awesome I definitley will have to try it. Has anyone tried makin Paella with brown rice? I was thinking about trying that tonight.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #14  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Thanks!

Glory -

Thanks for the bread suggestion! We don't have Trader Joe's here but Whole Foods has their own store brand plus another brand (Rice Expressions ) of frozen brown rice. The WF kind is in a bag and you measure it out and microwave. The other is in 2 serving plastic microwaveable pouches. Never thought I'd be buying frozen rice!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #15  
back on track

S/C/G: 184/ticker/130(?)

Height: 5'8"

Whole wheat and brown foods always have so much more flavour than white, or foods that are bleached. I eat them as much as possible, and even if you can't switch over completely small steps is all it takes to be more healthy ^__^
mandi<3 is offline   Reply With Quote