Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #1  

Default McDonald's Ice Cream

Hello Ladies-
Hope everyone had a great, on-plan, weekend! On Fri, me and my sis went to McDonalds for ice cream. I know I should have gotten a Fruit N Yogurt Parfait, but I got an ice cream cone. Now, according to the nutritional info on their site, it is supposed to have 150 calories. How accurate is this? And doesnt it depend on how much ice cream the serves swirls into the cone? Is their ice cream really healthy? But, it sure was good!
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #2  
LLV

Actually, the fruit and yogurt parfaits, if you get the original size, has almost as many calories as the ice cream sundae. Add granola you're getting a whole lot more. The little 5 ounce is around 160 calories, but if you get the big ones, you may as well just have ice cream.

Yes, the ice cream cones are 150
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/138/120

Height: 5'5

Yeah, soft serve ice cream doesn't have a ton of calories in it. I get mad because my soy ice cream that I LOVE, and is way healthier, has 140 calories for half a cup.
MaryKate'sPillStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVFOOD
Is their ice cream really healthy? But, it sure was good!
Not super healthy (ice cream cone has trans fats, but that's typical of packaged baked goods/crackers), but 150 calories for a treat would be okay for me!

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream:
Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. Contains milk ingredients.

Ice Cream Cone:
Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), contains 2% or less of cornstarch, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, sugar, salt, baking soda, annatto (for color), artificial flavor, soy lecithin. Contains wheat and soybean ingredients.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #5  
LLV

I wouldn't conside ANY ice cream "healthy", per se, as in it's not going to end up on the world's healthiest food list

But who cares! Not everything we eat is going to be the perfect picture of health. We all need treats now then, right?

Right!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When I need a treat, a 150 cal McDonalds Cone always does it for me. No, its not the perfect choice, but if you're craving ice cream and a drive through is your option - hey, it ain't half bad.

I love them. I probably get one once a week or so, and they haven't slowed my weight loss in the slightest if I factor in the 150 cals into my day.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82
When I need a treat, a 150 cal McDonalds Cone always does it for me. No, its not the perfect choice, but if you're craving ice cream and a drive through is your option - hey, it ain't half bad.

I love them. I probably get one once a week or so, and they haven't slowed my weight loss in the slightest if I factor in the 150 cals into my day.
I'm gonna have to try one of those, I've never had one.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

The fruit and yogurt parfait is LOADED with sugar!!! FWIW
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #9  
LLV

So is ice cream.

We can't avoid little treats all of our lives just because of the evils of sugar.

Moderation is the key.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #10  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

The McDonald's icecream is probably similar to the Dairy Queen small soft serve cone. When I'm in need of an icecream while out with the boys.....I often get a small soft serve icecream without the cone. On WW's it is only 3pts.
Hey? it could be alot worse!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel-eyes
The McDonald's icecream is probably similar to the Dairy Queen small soft serve cone. When I'm in need of an icecream while out with the boys.....I often get a small soft serve icecream without the cone. On WW's it is only 3pts.
Hey? it could be alot worse!!
That's right
Old 07-17-2006, 11:31 PM   #12  
LLV

OMG!!!!!

I just went and checked out the nutrition info for the DQ Blizzards... anywhere from 600-700 calories in a SMALL. The larges are over 1000, lol.

The large choc. chip cookie dough blizzard is 1264 calories and 136 grams of sugar.

That's more calories than I eat in one whole day.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

I have a weakness for McDonalds caramel sundae with nuts. I NEVER eat meals at McD's, but when I've got an ice cream craving, I drive through and get a caramel sundae!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
OMG!!!!!

I just went and checked out the nutrition info for the DQ Blizzards... anywhere from 600-700 calories in a SMALL. The larges are over 1000, lol.

The large choc. chip cookie dough blizzard is 1264 calories and 136 grams of sugar.

That's more calories than I eat in one whole day.
If you really want to blow your mind, you should check out the nutritional information for some of the "healthy" smoothies and Jamba Juice. It's juice right! Gotta be good for you. Heh, no. A large banana berry is 650 calories! Although with peanut butter in the title, it shouldn't be a surprise, the Peanut Butter Moo'd had 1170 calories, 30 grams of fat and 192 carbs. Juice! The MUCH healthier option to ice cream - uh, not really!

Although, they have some new all fruit smoothies that are much better options.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
We can't avoid little treats all of our lives just because of the evils of sugar.
Sure we can, insomuch as considering stuff filled with sugar as "little treats." Besides my point was that eating McDo's fruit and yogurt parfait as a way to avoid their ice cream is pointless, because it is just as bad.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote