Old 07-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Eat for the body you want, not for the body you have

Last night, I was thinking about my eating habits and eating habits of others. My eating habits have changed quite a bit in the last few years. I don't think I'm perfect but I have greatly improved. One of my aunts said one day that she is a tiny person so she eats a tiny amount (and she is tiny, size 2 or something).
I also noticed that other people in my family that like to eat large are large themselves. So where do I fit? Well I've had periods in my life where I have binged, I have had periods in my life where I had no concept of a portion and I've had periods of my life where I said "I'm fat anyway, might as well eat what I want".

I started thinking about the phrase "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have" and thought that it applied to food in "Eat for the body you want, not for the body you have". It can be further extrapolated to "Exercise for the body you want, not for the body you have".

Of course some of this is a lot easier said than done but we know about people who have sedentary lifestyles and eat processed junk, they are generally unhealthy and have excess weight. We also know about people who have active lifestyles and eat healthy food in proper portions, they are generally fit and healthy with little excess weight.

So starting today, I am going to remind myself to eat for the body I want, not for the body I have. I will also exercise for the body I want, not for the body I have. I want a fit, healthy body with little excess weight and I will get there. Old habits are hard to break but I've seen the positive changes over the past few years and I know I can get there. I know you can too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #2  
Aleecia

Great post Nelie.
It really puts things into perspective when you think about it like that.
So I'm with you on this one. Today I will start to eat for the body I want and not for the body I have and also exercise for the body I want and not for the one I have. Because in all honestly I'm kinda of tired of the body that I have and I am definitly ready for a new one.
Thanks for sharing, have a great week!
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #3  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Kudos!!!! I enjoyed this post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think this is so true.

I have been at a plateau for almost over a year now. I workout about five to six times a week, weights, running, etc. I know I have the exercise part down, but the eating is crazy.

So last week, I cut back a lot of my food intake, and wa la....I lost a pound!

I know there is a lot of truth to this. Someone once told me that its all about Math. If you put in less, you'll lose. If you put in more, you'll gain. I think I was just breaking even.

Thanks for the insight. Sorry for the ramble.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Nellie wonderful thread! I've read so many inspiring things today I feel so confident!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Awesome post, Nelie. I havent' been here much lately, so I was just wondering how you're doing. How are things with you?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
"Eat for the body you want, not for the body you have".

"Exercise for the body you want, not for the body you have".
I think you should use this in your signature.

You said this so well. This has kind of been what my thoughts are lately, but I hadn't vocalized it as well as you have here!

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

I agree--awesome post! That is a great way to look at it!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Great way to capture that idea, Nelie! Like the others said, you captured an idea that has been running around my head for a while now.

One thing I like about it is that the focus is on ongoing behaviors and not just weight loss. Seems that's a key for maintenance!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Phatastica, great suggestion, thanks!

Dana, I'm doing well. I had been stuck for a while at losing weight, so I maintained for 18 months. Recently, I've determined that I will not remain stuck. I need 13 lbs to lose to have a 100 lb total loss. I also have a wedding dress to fit into for my wedding in November.

Wyllenn, the habits we create today are the habits that will stick with us as we learn to maintain our weight loss. That is why it is important to think of our eating habits as changes for life rather than a temporary diet we go on and plan to go off of.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Nellie I love your thought. It is a great one and something I will put up on my fridge I think.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #11  

Congratulations on re-dedicating and getting married!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #12  

Congratulations on re-dedicating and getting married!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #13  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Great post! I often remind myself of this and try to remind myself how the thin Charlotte is going to live her life, eat and exercise. So, I pretend I am already thin and eat and exercise as if I am.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #14  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Yes, another "great post" from me as well!

This is exactly what I've been doing, and if it gives you any encouragement, let me say that so far it's worked very well. Another benefit (at least as far as I'm concerened) is that you don't have to worry about your diet- since you aren't on one, just eating and exercising like any lean, healthy, active man or woman should.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #15  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

Great post! Thanks!
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote