UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #1  

Exclamation I have a tiny problem - hopefully someone can help me!!!!

Good afternoon all
Well I have proved myself wrong again - it has been weeks since I was last on here and so much has happened. I have split with my boyfriend and he is moved out! I am stuck with a large flat in South London by my lonesome and need to find a tenant for my spare room! - does anyone know any free sites where i can advertise or look for people who need to find accomodation???

On the diet front I probably have lost about 8 pounds!!!! I guess heart break does sometimes help with the figure. But I am slowly trying to sort my life out (again!) and will start from scratch again with healthy eating and exercise!!! (wow, how many times have I said that!!!)
The thing is I need to seriously get my act together as i have a walk I am doing at the end of the month!!! 10km!!!!! Ah well, enough babling - if anyone knows of any sites or papers etc that advertise for free - please let me know!!!
Thank you!!!
lyds39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #2  

http://www.gumtree.com/ Lets you post free ads for accommodation, but you could end up with a mad Aussie or Kiwi!!!!

Congrats on the weightloss, but sorry to hear about the method!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Sorry to hear about the boyfriend. As Ky says - not the best of ways to lose weight.

Many years ago I had a flat in London I used to let rooms in - I know it costs money but you get a HUGE response by putting an ad in the Evening Standard or Time Out. (If they are still going!)

Remembering back, I actually got my nicest tenant (whose still a friend after 20 years) through putting a postcard in a local Post Office / sweet shop window.

Good luck on the walk - you can do it!!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #4  

Splitting up with someone is always a good excuse to make yourself look HOT!
Get your hair and nails done, go shopping and treat yourself... !! Indulge!!
Good luck in the tennant finding front... I have a cousin who just left uni and is looking for somewhere... PM me the details and ill pass them on..

Take Care..x
afrosarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #5  

If you do not mind nurses or medical studetns - if you live near a hospital you can ask their Registry or Human resources if they can put a notice on a board for you.

Or you can always put a notice in the newsagents - I don't think they charge much - not sure.

Work out first WHO you want to stay - if you would be uncomfortable with a unknown male then specify for a Woman and state if you want a worker or student type- if you ask for what you want upfront then there is no misunderstanding. Interview them to get an idea of what they are like.

Maybe someone ont he board can help you with that.- what sort of question sto ask etc.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I used to ask loads of questions - where do they work / how long have they worked there / do they like working there. (you need to know this because of the rent). Do they work different hours / shifts from you - if so can you cope with them coming home and possibly being noisy when you are asleep. What sort of music do they like - do they play it loud - will you be sharing the living room and TV - if so what kind of TV programmes do they like. Politics - do they feel strongly about politics / does their political leanings clash with yours. Does he/she have a boy/girlfriend and will they want that person to stay over - if so, how often - if more than one night a week you might want to charge extra for additional gas / electricity. Food - are they/you veggie. Do they have any other dietary requirements. Bathroom arrangements - timing in the mornings and evenings - keeping it tidy. Cleaning - who does what. Shopping - who does what - would any items (loo roll, cleaning stuff) be paid for out of a kitty.

Most important, though, is does the person seem to be the sort who will take criticism okay. There is NOTHING worse than sharing with someone who constantly does something which is incredibly annoying and not being able to say something about it for fear they'll take offence. *Memories of sharing with a bloke who shed more hair than my dogs but never rinsed it off the bath / sink. Yuck.*

Finally..... ALWAYS get a months rent as deposit. I felt sorry for someone once and didn't bother - she off and left me with a massive phone bill. Oh yes, do ask if they've got friends or relatives who live abroad!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #7  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 210/205/150

Height: 5'9

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Please take care of yourself. Having that walk sounds like a good idea. Just some quiet time for you to figure things out as your life gains more stability. Exersize doesn't have to be frantic all the time, peaceful walks count too.

Anyway, these are all very good suggestions. I'd like to also suggest craigs list, they have free advertizing for just about everything, everywhere. Here's the london page. Best of luck!!
jenifa is offline   Reply With Quote