Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #1  
hara hachi bu

Default Another Weird Weight-Loss Phenomenon

So, I went clothes-shopping today at a thrift shop. Thrift shops being as random as they are, you kind of have to look through things piece by piece (sizes are never in the right spots). Anyway, my eyes automatically stop on things that are of my old size, 22/24 or 3x. I don't have a trained eye for what would fit these days and I forget to look at the 18/20 or 2x.

Furthermore, what looked atrocious on a body with 50 extra pounds no longer looks half-bad ... for example, shirts with raglan-style sleeves. I never wore them when I had round shoulders, but now they look completely different. And I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't tried one on!

I also frequently buy off-season items. I spotted a few dang-cute off-season items that fit, but didn't purchase them because I knew that come fall or winter I will be a completely different size.

Shopping is suddenly a little more time consuming and requires more care. I have more choices, and I have to 'take risks' and try on things that weren't right for my "body type" before!

Interesting.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Wooo! I have lost some sizes but can't really wear much different! haha congrats on the 55 pounds! WAY TO GO!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 198/190/135~5'3"

Don't you just feel wonderful? !!!!!!! Way to go! I like your attitude and outlook, it really inspires me to keep up my good work. Thanks...
Puney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I went shopping last weekend too, and bought some cropped pants and a tank top (the tank top was free as a bonus, actually). I wore the top with a shirt, but it was a stretch for me. I noticed it too that I had to pick out clothes and TRY THEM ON, heh heh. It's a great feeling

I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm down to say, 200, I'll have to severely budget myself with the clothes shopping, ha.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations. I have found a consignment shop that helped stretch my budget. I was spending way too much on clothes with the weight loss. I actually bought some stretchy tops and tank tops and hadn't wore those since high school. I have to try everything on or will automatically buy things too big.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Lilybelle: Oh yeah, I definitely can't afford to buy new clothes every time I need a new size. I bought all new with my first weight drop, and now I'm frustrated because even the "new" stuff is getting too big! Heh, I guess there are much worse things to complain about!

DragonWoman: I know what you mean shopping around 200 lbs. Watch out! I'm gonna be a shoppin' fool ... all the years of fashion trends I missed out on because of weight ... *sigh!*
Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #7  
No description available.

Your wt loss is PHANTASTIC!! Congrats!! Have fun with your changing, powerful body!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi !

I know what you mean! I was in the habit of buying clothes that were loose- thinking that they hid my weight. Now that I have lost 50 pounds, I really have to concentrate on NOT getting clothes that are too large because the bagginess actually makes me look larger than I really am. I'm thinking that if I would have worn clothes that weren't as baggy when I was heavier, I probably would have looked better.

I've been watching "What Not to Wear" and "How Do I Look?" to get ideas. Both programs have been VERY helpful to me!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #9  

I shop at thrift stores a lot, especially as I was losing. I have found some fantastic bargains. It's like a treasure hunt!

WTG! on your awesome weight loss.
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Yippeeee, that's great. Isn't it nice to be able to wear styles you never would have dreamed of wearing before?

I want to go "hit" some thrift stores too and try to find some more blouses for work. However, since I am trying to save $$$ right now I had to tell myself that I honestly don't really NEED them that badly since stuff in the closet is starting to fit and I can get by with wearing the same thing more than once a week really. Still if I could find just a couple of cheapie blouses it would be nice to have something "new" LOL, so perhaps I will check out some stores! The three blouses I have which I get the most compliments on came from thrift stores LOL.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #11  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

You have done wonderful on your weight loss! I can't wait for the day when I get to start experiencing this too. Keep having fun shopping!!!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Now I'd have gone ahead and bought the off-season items...with the thought that by having spent good hard-earned cash for them that I was danged well gonna wear them. So I'd have gotten them in the size I planned to be by the time the season rolled around...giving me incentive to get my butt moving to be sure I reached that size.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

For anyone who hasn't been into a walmart clothing dept. lately, it might be worth a try. They are infused this season with new clothing that is cute and cheap (but will last long enough to get you to your next size, for sure) in the plus and XL sections. They have this whole new marketing campaign about getting people to buy beyond the essentials that they shop there for and the clothing area has really been revamped. You might have to check a few locations in your area to find one that has been restocked, might not be every store yet, but I was pleasantly surprised. You can get very cute tops and shorts/capris for $8 each. Good colors and cute prints.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #14  
hara hachi bu

Talking A Somewhat-Related NSV

Another funny body-image thing ... a few years ago, a friend came across a particularly cute shirt and gave it to me because it seemed like something I would wear. It didn't fit, didn't fit, didn't fit ... I tried it on this morning and even though the sleeves were kind of baggy and the waist was loose, it still felt too small??

So I wore it anyway. I got to work and I asked my most honest coworker if the shirt looked too small, and she said NO! She pointed out that the shoulders are actually a little wide. She then told me that I'm going to have to get used to not wearing so many baggy clothes.

Dang cute shirt! It's been in my closet for YEARS.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #15  

My gym instructor said to me a month ago how great I look now I am wearing fitted clothes and not hiding in big baggy clothes. I tried to explain that when your a size 26 clothes only come in big and baggy, they don't make fitted fat clothes! At least they don't in the UK!

It is really cool being able to try new things. Where would we be without thrift stores?
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote