Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #1  

Default 7 year old vegetarian

I know this will sound strange because he is so young, but my 7 year old won't eat meat. I don't have a problem with it, but I do have a question for those of you experienced in feeding young ones vegetarian entree's. Do you have any tips for me?

He is open to tasting any food (unless there is meat in it). He likes some greens, and all fruits. He will eat eggs and dairy products. And that is about what my knowledge is limited too. I give him milk, peanut butter, whole grain bread, eggs, cheeses, and pasta.

I guess my big problem is, that I'm sure there are entree's that he can eat that will fullfill his nutritional requirements that are more savory and a little bit different than the everyday hum drum. I also feel like I am missing something... like there is something else he should be eating, but maybe I only think that because there is no meat added to his food.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

There are lots and lots of options out there now for vegetarians. Maybe you would like to invest in a good vegetarian cookbook for ideas, for young ones I’ve heard great things about the Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas and Vegan Family Favorites by Erin Pavlina. There’s also a big network of bloggers out there raising vegetarian/vegan children. Be sure to check out the Vegan Lunch Box, it’s full of great ideas! http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My father has a no meat household. My little brother is 9. As far as I can tell, he is the healthiest child I've ever seen. He does really like cheese (and eggs I think), but he doesn't have much taste for meat. If you read up on vegetarian children/households (and I know it's not by choice), you will find that there are tons of options for protien (tofu, legumes, leafy greens), iron and all the other stuff found in meat. I know my brother has absolutely no deficiencies from not eating meat, but it takes a knowledge of what the alternate sources are- I mean, you can't just feed him mac n cheese and cereal, etc... I am not a vegetarian, but I do have one "savory" veg recipe- my stepmom's tofu lasagna. PM me if you would like it.

Good luck, though. Kids sure do like to make it hard on you!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #4  

Thanks so much! I'm going to look at link you gave me too. It sure would make it easier to be able to serve up something everyone will eat. I have no problem eliminating meat, I've even gone without it for long periods of time, but I don't know it everyone at the table except me and the little guy would be on board for that...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Aquachick - here is a link to get you started on some family friendly recipes.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44712

I will also try to get you some more info.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #6  

Here are some books that might be helpful to check out at the library or your local bookstore:

http://www.nutrispeak.com/raisingvegchildren.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093...lance&n=283155

and a couple of sites that are family oriented.

http://www.vrg.org/family/

http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/
Old 07-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #7  

Thanks mauvaisroux.

This helps me out a lot!!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #8  

You're welcome!
Old 12-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #9  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I also wanted to add that there is a book at my local library (I'm gonna try to find a link for it!!) That is for Teens and Kids.

Tofu Nuggets were my little neices favorite thing!!

When I went through mine she was about 2 and she HATED meat. I know the feeling!!

**HUGS**
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #10  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

http://www.vrg.org/catalog/teenveg.htm

That is the link to the book. My local library had it and I don't live in a huge town.

**HUGS** Good Luck!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/130/125

Height: 5'5"

Hi AquaChick! If it's any comfort, I became a vegetarian at age 7, and I'm now 38 and survived! Haaaa! You've gotten a lot of great resources here, and it's a lot easier finding interesting food now as a vegetarian (I'm actually a vegan now) than it was 3 decades ago. There are a lot more vegetarians it seems. Congrats on your little veggie child!
flitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #12  
redhead veggie

Cooking veggie foods will be good for you too - protien without a lot of fat.
Have him try falafel (it's sooo good) and you can make sandwiches and stuff with it and use it in dishes.
Also, for a good summer treat, hummus on lightly toasted bread with cucumbers on it does quite nicely to take the edge off the heat.
superchar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #13  
ViolinCyndee

WOW that's great that your kid is veg!!!!! I am impressed!
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

I know that it might sound weird, but have you tried fish? I know, I know, that's a meat (and not usually something most people like). However, when I was little I had the exact same problem and my mom solved it with fish.

When I was little I would put the meat into my mouth, chew for a bit, move it to the cheek and just kind of keep it there. My poor mother had to fish it out when I fell asleep. She eventually gave up trying to get me to eat meat and instead started feeding me fish (which I devoured like there was no tomorrow).

Her theory is that the meat was too difficult for me to chew or that it had something to do with the mouth feel of it. I eventually grew out of it enough to eat what everyone else was eating, but I'm still not much of a meat eater and I guess you could call me a semi-vegetarian.

Just a thought...
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

What about beans? Will he eat them?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote