Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 06:07 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Talking Alternachick chat for July 2006

Good morning everyone!

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend!

We celebrated Canada Day on Saturday with a BBQ with some friends. I did okay food wise but drank too much wine.

We celebrated my birthday on Sunday and I had a great time! DH took me out to a part of town that has some cute little shops and a great bookstore and we just walked around checking things out. I bought a great pair of leopard print sunglasses.

He then offered to take me to lunch at a vegetarian restaurant I've been wanting to try for some time. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he suggested it! This is so out of character for him! But he seems to be on a "get healthier" kick and wants to try out some new things and eat more vegetarian meals so I'm not complaining We both enjoyed our meals at the restaurant and I would definitely go back.

I got a food processor and a vegetable/rice steamer for my birthday along with a vegetarian cook book so I'm all set to get started!

Boy, you know you are getting old when you ask for appliances for your birthday! But on the fun side DH bought me an MP3 player and my parents got me a jacket from the local gothy shop!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a good time. Have fun with all your loot

I tried out my new roller skates yesterda OMG, not a pretty site :LOL: Our new office is right on a walk/jog/biking trail, so my friend and I thought we'd be super clever and get skates for our lunch walks. I'll obviously need some more practice before I can stay on a trail though.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #3  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Happy bday Mauv! Sounds like hubby is learning.

Tani - be careful on those things - there is a reason we weren't born with wheels growing out of our feet - because we break when we fall.

Did a major weeding of the garden this weekend and dj'd a wedding/reception on Friday.

Have decided against spending any more $$ on my bent thumb. Figured if I ever spend $4k or more on any operation it will be for my eyes or to lift a thing or two, not to fix something that so far hasnt been a big inconvenience.

A little stiffness after being used but nothing compared to the pain in my legs from gardening. We had a blanket of morning glory take over the entire 1/4 acre and we weeded and weeded and weeded. now we need to mulch to keep them down.

Also having a wiring problem - this house wants us out - it is 35 years old and very tired. Hope it lasts until we build. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Tani- that is a good idea but I hope you both bought knee/elbow pads and helmets to be on the safe side. I used to skateboard years ago and had all the safety gear.

Aj- hope your thumb gets better! Will you build on the same property or elsewhere? It sounds like you have some nice land.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Happy Birthday Mauv!

I went with the Cute Boyfriend to a Science Fiction Convention this week. Westercon. His parents are vendors and we helped them with the booth and general volunteering. I had mixed feeling about the weekend since I really really don't care for a lot of the attitude I see at Cons. Mostly this, "I am geekier, smarter, know more about SF, weirder than you..." personality that seems to run rampant. Boy! Do I have a low tolerance or what!

I picked up a new Fantasy book though, "The Bone Doll's Twin."

Excellent!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #6  

Jessica - I've had some of the same type of people at some cons I've been too though I find most people okay.

That looks like a cool book!

Anymore news on your eye situation?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #7  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Just a fly by....

Happy Birthday Mauv!

Hello to all the Alternachicks! Aj & Jessica - I hope you are both feeling better! Good luck with the rollerskates Tani!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #8  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Hi all!

Thanks for the well thumb wishes. Jessica - how are your eyes? That is way more important than a little bent thumb.

Mauv - I did some research - it isnt morning glory - DH assumed - but no flowers. Anyway yes, we will be building here in the spot where my aunts trailer was, since it has the best view of the garden and the driveway/bridge. Our land is ok - very hilly in that the front quarter is the most usable with the last going up and up and up. It is a long narrow strip - about 1/2 mile long and only 376 feet wide. But we are bordered by two large parcels without homes so we are nicely secluded. The back is all trees, mostly with the typical brush. Down by the creek is mostly blackberries and thistles. We have tons of brush removal to do and it usually takes all summer to get caught up in time for winter.

On the bright side - always having to walk up hill is great for the butt.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #9  

sounds nice to me!

Hi Squeak!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi chicas!

My eye is doing great. No more activity so far. No redness etc. I have been going through contacts faster though.

I have been thoroughly enjoying my summer. Last night, I read a book outside until dusk and then read more once I got inside. I really want to see a movie tonight.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #11  

That's great news Jessica!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #12  

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

It's very humid out so we stayed in on Saturday and moved some furniture around and hung some pictures up in the hall and the livingroom - finally! They've only been sitting in boxes for 1 1/2 years.

Sunday we walked around a couple of farmers markets and picked up some fresh local berries and veggies.

We are going to our first yoga class this afternoon - I hope we both like it.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #13  

Good morning!

Well our yoga class went really well and DH wants to go back. We are thinking of going twice a week. He seems to have really taken to our lifestyle change - he only ate red meat once this week! I haven't eaten any red meat at all and have had fish twice.

Last night I made Salsa spiked Mac & Cheese and it turned out really well.
Tonight is a veggie stir fry and I may try to make some homemade hummus with my new food processor.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #14  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Mmmmm homemade hummus is the best. It's so easy I feel guilty when I buy it premade. Note to self, buy garbonzo beans and tahini on next grocery run

I took my skates down to the elementary school down the street and did a couple dozen lengths of their parking lot on Sunday morning. It finally started to get fun (as opposed to terrifying) the last half. My ankles got really sore so this must be a good exercise for those stabilizer muscles I don't normally use.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #15  
Is it Friday yet?

Howdy all,

It's been forever since I've been here but I've been kinda lurking for a couple weeks, thought it only polite to pop in and say HI!!!!!! Besides, after being stuck at "the deuce" for 3 weeks now I can use any extra accountability I can get! I'm gonna get below 200 pounds if I've gotta lose a limb! (ok, kidding!)

Things have been going well, I don't even remember the last time I was here, I think it was shortly after my stepdad passed last March. But in a nutshell it's been 99% good, 1% normal life c-rap. I became an auntie again in December when bestest friend had a baby boy 13 weeks early (weighing a whoppin' 1 pound 10 ounces, 13 inches, but now almost 20 pounds and 23 inches!). That's been the best part of it all... a new little life. Nothing heals like baby giggles, I'm sure of it.

Me, health wise, pretty darn good. I went back to WW in January and have been mostly on the wagon, occasionally allowing for celebrations that I refuse to be tempered by how many Points I have left. The 42 pounds off my butt prove to me that my way is working so I'm stickin' with it. I'm a little irked by the lack of people noticing, but I DID say I was doing it for ME this time - I guess I shoulda' been more careful of the wording. The Universe is only giving me what I wanted after all - an experience without outside influence.

Anyway, missed you all, well who I knew anyway, and look forward to getting to know you if you're the old timer here and *I* am the newby! Is Eydie still around?? Happy belated to Mauvaisroux too!

Much love, many blessings,

Terri
Closed Thread