Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/171/160

Unhappy Help!!!!

I don't know what it is. I don't know if I am bored, sleepy, stressed or really hungary. I have been keeping track of my daily weight, and it never fails that I put on 3-4lbs over the weekend and then drop them usually by Wednesday. Does that mean I am still actively losing, or am I plateau'd...is that even a word!!!?? or am I in maintenance. I know what I am doing wrong, I am starting to think that I am not that serious about my weight loss. I spent my whole childhood and 1/2 of my twenties being the "fat" girl. At 220, I called it off and I have been actively dieting since then. I don't know. I am unsure of myself. I am babbling I know. On my point system, its so easy to drop those 3lbs, but I think I am being unhealthy about things. Isnt yoyoing dangerous? Perhaps I am overreacting. My mouth is bored, my appetite is bored...I am afraid I am going to eat the wrong thing, just for a change. I am stuck at work, of course I work for university catering, so food is just a stroll away and FREE. I had a toasted bagel with tomato and ff cream cheese for breakfast and I had some strawberries a while ago. I don't know. I wish I had friends that were willing to do this with me. My friends, including my best friend and my girlfriend are all overweight and don't seem to care. Eating with them is a bore...as they eat whatever they want and roll their eyes at my healthy choices. Sigh. Dieting is lonely.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #2  

Christina

Ok stop and breathe a second. First, only count your weight one day a week. Wheight can fluctuat 5 pounds in just one day. Weigh yourself at the same time in the same clothes. That is your official weigh in. I weigh in Tuesday morning. Thats the weight I count.

If you choose to weigh in everyday, it's ok but only count your "official" weigh in. Other wise you can get so wrapped up in the ups and downs your real loss or gain is kind of lost in the numbers.

A plateau is generally several weeks of where you aven't gained or lost more than a pound or two. We all ahve weeks where we don't lose or even gain, even thoughw e were on track. This isn't a plateau until it's been several weeks.

Next, weekends are hard. I can't stay on track for the life of me these days. But perhaps journalling what you eat and WHY, would help you see your patterns. Are you bored, are you angry, are you stressed, are you just trying to pamper yourself? Then when you can see your trends you can find alternatives. If you are bored find activities like exerciseing calling a friend ect.

The program works..if you work it. Points=Calories plain and simple. WW feels a point is a point is a point. So sure you can eat ho-ho's, pizza, icecream ect. As long as you count the points. But here's the thing healthy foods are more effeciant, more bang for your buck so to speak. I can eat a slice of pizza for 8 points or 4 ounces of chicken (4 pts), a 7 ounce baked potatoe (3 pts), 1 tablespoon on light marg (1 pt, and a cup of broccoli (0 pts...for a total of 8 points. So there is no WRONG thing, it's just what you want to use your points on.

Change up your eating. I save my flex points (and YES you should eat them!!!!) for weekends so I can indulge...within my points. There are PILES of recipes with points values listed on the food section of the main 3fc page, check them out! Fill your day with 0 points snacks, challenge yourself to follow the 8 healthy guidlines everyday. Join a exercise challenge. Pick things to focus on that are healthy, but also take your mind off of food. Focus on healthy living instead of weightloss.

You can do this. Support is key. If your friends and girlfriend don't want to lsoe weight then ask if they can at least help you by accepting your changes and not sabotaging your efforts by offering unhealthy things. You can find lots of support here!!!!!!!

I hope this helps a little
Old 07-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #3  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I have a hard time on weekends too and do the same as what you are going. Like I know I gain over the weekends, get control on Monday and by Wednesday I am back where I was. I don't weigh everyday, it is counterproductive to be that obsessive because as Misty said your weight can fluctuate during the day. what might help if you think you are plateauing is to change your exercise routine. That is really supposed to help with plateaus. Do something new and different, try a new sport or take up some kind of lessons like kick boxing or karate or yoga or swimming. Alternately even doing different stuff ie doing a workout video instead of going for a walk. Also if you are not doing strength training that might be something to think about as muscle burns more calories all the time, not just when you are exercising. You've done great so far, keep it up!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #4  

Thank you so much. I appreciate you both responding so fast. If I were'nt at my desk, I'd probably cry. Sometimes I just feel alone with the whole healthy eating thing. I have seen positive changes in my energy, cooking, good effects on my kids' eating habits also. I do like WW points, bcs I can eat whatever I want within reason. I have to figure out a good day to weigh myself...I guess Wednesday, since that is my thin day! LOL. I just treated myself to 3/4 cup of cocoa puffs, no milk...just for a crunchy sweet snack. I don't know the pts, bcs I left my slider home...maybe 4...I am going to try harder to exercise more...I am very active with two small kiddies, so although I don't formally work out, I do get a huge run about on a daily basis.

Misty, I thank you. Jen, I thank you. I live in NYC, where the majority seems to be so drastic..you are either a HEALTH FANATIC or a LIVE TO EAT!

Thanks a million...smiles, not points!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #5  

I'm glad you are feeling better!

It's great that you are very active with your kids, but the way I look at that is that's your body's normal routine, one that it is very used to. So to lose weight you have to engage in intentional exercise. Exercise for the sake of exercise. Your body starts to adapt to regualr exercise, after a long while with the same routine of exercise (ie you walk 30 minutes everyday at the same pace), your body will stop producing results as it's become effciant at this. So you need to change it up, walk faster, walk longer, try biking,s wimming resistance training ect. Same thing with your daily activities.

Sure you can lose some without exercise, calories in being less than calories out. But to see the results we want we probably have to find some kind of intentional exercise and engage in it regularly.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #6  

Will do! When I picked up my 6yr old princess from the camp bus today, she said, Mommy! I saved you some baby carrots, no points, right!?

She is the best. It makes it worthwhile all over again.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #7  

Gotta love kids!!!!! What a sweetie

I hope I didn't come off sounding wenchy, I am the queen of not exercising so it's a bit hypocritacal of me. I was just trying to lend the best support and advice I have to offer
Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #8  

You've already gotten some great advice already, Christina. You're not along, hun, you have us! lol I, too, feel along quite often with this whole ordeal. I've ranted about this non-stop on here, so I won't go into it too much, but my husband and I moved to an area in which we know NO ONE! I'm trying to lose weight without anyone physically here, because my husband is against it. (He's slightly overweight, but he's perfectly okay with it.) He won't exercise, and he won't eat healthy. I bought a frozen pizza about a month ago that had whole wheat crust, and he wouldn't even try it. So, what I'm so poorly trying to get at is that we're all here because we need eachother. Please keep posting--we need you as much as you may need us!!

Take care!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Steph - that really bites that your husband doesn't support you. My husband is sort of the same way but mostly he is indifferent. Like as long as it doesn't affect him then he doesn't care. It's almost a passive-agressive thing. He'd be the same way about trying a whole wheat crust pizza!
Closed Thread