Old 07-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Another New-Oldbie, coming back

Hi! I found this site back in 1999. I weighed about 285 then, and it doesn't help one little bit to think that if I'd only lost ONE POUND A MONTH I'd be 72 pounds lighter instead of 13 pounds heavier. Since 1999, I've weighed as low as 269 (2000) and as high as 298 (two weeks ago). So I have more than 100 pounds to lose. (I'm taking them ten pounds at a time.)

I used to cook, but for about the past 15 years I've had such a horrendous schedule -- lots of deadlines, working from project to project, which means working 12 to 16 hour days and collapsing on the weeks in between -- that I've fallen into horrendous eating habits: grabbing snacks from the vending machine in the basement, living on cokes and candy bars, etc. Cooking to me is frying a steak, or making a tunafish sandwich. I also had gotten so used to the 1200 calorie a day diet (I lost weight on WW years ago and can do the old exchange program in my sleep) that I plan the old WW day, still have 12 points a day to play with, and I do. I live in a small apartment, and exercise is walking around in it or going down to the lobby to check the mail, or walk to the corner to get a bus.

I have a light, relatively predictable schedule until September, and I AM DETERMINED to stick to an eating plan. I'm doing WW because, among my many sins, I bounce back and forth among plans, and with WW, you can pretty much fit any combination of foods, as long as you stay within points.

I've been heavy since I was 13, although not nearly as heavy as I thought then. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school; I'm 5'8". I weighed about 175 when I graduated from college, gained another 20 my first year of working, bounced back and forth within a 30-pound range for years, then achieved my current magnificent proportions by gaining 5 or 6 pounds a year for the past 15 years.

In 1999 when I first came to 3FC, and the half-dozen or so times I've come back, full of enthusiasm and good intentions, the one thing I lacked was commitment. I have that now. I have to do this. I know I will not lose five pounds a day, much less a week, and that's okay. I know that I will not lose at a steady, predictable rate; that I will have a bad day now and then, but that does not give me permission to look for a new, better plan to start the next Monday so that for the next five days I won't have to worry about dieting. I will have to change habits, I will have to plan; I will have to examine what I'm doing every week and see what works and what does not.

Sorry this is so long! I've been reading this forum for several weeks, and am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Last edited by Xan; 07-09-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome back!

You can do this

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Well, I am glad that you found your way back. Welcome back. Can't wait to get to know you.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Welcome back. Commitment is the one thing you can't fake when trying to lose weight. Enthusiasm and good intentions will come and go, but commitment is key. Good for you for recognizing you must have it.

I look forward to getting to know you.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #5  

Angry me too

your letter reminded me of myself. I have lost and gained a couple of 150 pound people in my time. My 50th birthday is comming up soon and I scared I am going to die this way. I am having trouble with my feet and legs and knees. Exercise is not my thing. Like you I am going to try again. Like you This is Sunday and I have waited until Monday to start. 'I am runnning out of Mondays.
s
babyfat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/223.2/135

Welcome back and good luck!!
amberzade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Welcome to both of you!!! This is a great place for support!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Welcome back to 3FC!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #9  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Oh welcome!!
I myself have lurked around occassionally for years - this place really is wonderful isn't it What you wrote reminds me of myself and it also comforted me as it reminded me that I'm not alone, none of us are - so thank you!

Good luck and hope to see you around!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #10  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Welcome Welcome
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Welcome Back!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Change a few details and your story could be mine. I'm determined this time too, and I truly hope that we can see this thing through together. Welcome back from a new-newbie : )
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

your story is mine too! Especially vending machine snacks and cooking is a tuna sandwich! Though I did get as far as cooking is hamburger helper!

You sound like you have a good plan AND a good attitude about this! That helps so much!

I committed this time and so far have achieved more success than ever before (knocking on the door to onederland!)

Good luck and post often!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #14  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome back, Xan!

Sounds as though you have a plan. Stick around and share your journey.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #15  

HI and Welcome Back......it's great to have you here!!!! I'm a bit biased...but WW is an awesome plan!!!!!! I've lost "nearly" 100 pounds following WW online...it's a great program that gives you choices. Stick with it and I promise, you will see the results. It sounds like you are ready and have a great mind-set...that's awesome!!! Good luck to you and hope to see you around lots!!

Hugs,
LIv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote