Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/355/175

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm feeling low ( warning weight gain)

Over the last two months I have been stressed to the max. My son was in the hospital and things were just crazy. I had ALOT of binging and no excercising. I finally faced the scale today and have gained back 20lbs.
I about cried. It is so hard sometimes. I got back on the wagon this weekend but I am so worried I will fall off agian. I don't want to undo all I have done. To make matters worse everyone at work is always trying to get me to join in when they have a carry in or order out. They were waving pizza in my face tonight. I wanted to hit them with it. They don't know about my binging. I keep it kinda of private. Would it be better if I told them?

Sarah S

250/190/175
ERnanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 AM   #2  
Shooting for Goal

Height: 5' 6"

Sara You have been through a lot of stress with your son in the hospital. I too had gained weight only it was 25 lbs in 2 months. You have faced the scale and yes it is hard to get back on track. Give your self a pat on the back that you are willing to try and that is what is important. Try and keep a positive attitude that you can do it. Each day is a new chance to start again.

I would only tell my co-workers if you think they would be supportive. Personally I wouldn't because I find most people don't understand. A decision only you can make. I would tell them not wave food in your face and that NO means NO. How about going some where on at least a few days to get away from the food. Is there a park, library or even a place to sit outside. Some place that you could relax and gain strength for the rest of your work day. You could also go for a walk.
Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:44 AM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Sarah, I whole heartily agree with everything Christine said. We struggle with this every single moment of our day, every day. No one understands that unless they have been through it.

I am going to tell you what I told my husband when he was going to quit smoking. Go somewhere besides where the smokers are. So for you, like Christine mentioned, try go somewhere else, if you can. Even if you take a stroll in your work's parking lot or drive to a nearby park. Just like my dr told my husband when he wanted to quit smoking, first thing is you got to break your habits.

If the first thing when you get up you eat something, then don't. Wait 15 - 20 minutes or even a half hour. (unless you have too for work or what have you) If you eat something on your break, then walk around instead.

See what I mean? I know I can take my own advice! lol.

and I hope your son is doing a lot better.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #4  
Shooting for Goal

Sassy Chick, that is exactly what my husband did when he quit smoking. Actually he became quite rude by telling others not to smoke around him. On those days when I'm really tempted to over eat getting as far away from the temptation can help. I have to do it more often
Old 07-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree with Christine also... but would add that when possible take along healthful snacks and stuff you can munch on, and even your lunch. But I would be VERY firm (though polite) and tell the people to STOP offering you unhealthful foods and NO means NO.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #6  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Sarah, sad to hear that you had such a bad time! Hope your son is feeling better now!

Well, telling people about food problems...
I wasnīt in such a situation, but I experienced several same situations with alcohol. I am a alcoholic in recovery, and it was hard for me sometimes when people offered me alcohol. I had no idea how to deal with it at first...At the moment I handle the situation like that: people close to me know about my problem. But i didnīt tell everybody. When there is someone offering me alcohol again and again, I say "Thank you, but NO! I am a recovered alcoholic". Most people are shocked and never ask again....
I had dumb reactions as well. But most times, the people who are making fun of you being an addict are those who know deep inside them that they maybe have a problem too. So they react very loud and aggressive sometimes.

For me, it was hard at the beginning. I was so ashamed asking the waiter if there is alcohol in the food...But after all, itīs my health, my life, and I shouldnīt care what others say.

My "I donīt want to explain it to you"- excuse is "No, I donīt drink alcohol. because of health reasons".

My advice...donīt have one.
But i think making a clear statement to your co- workers (without doing soul- striptease) would be helpful. You know, binge eating is an illness. Would you tell your co- workers if you had an other illness (like diabetis. Or a food allergy)?

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Sarah, I'm so sorry you've been through such a rough time lately. I hope your son is doing okay now.
I'm sure the 20 pound gain was a shocker, but you're here, and you're willing to do something about it, and that is great.
Whether you tell your co-workers or not, know that you're doing this for YOU and not anyone else. Don't let others influence you in your choices.
You can do this!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #8  

Thank you everyone. I feel alot better. It helps to know somone else understands. AS for smokes and alcohol it seems to be the same, even people that know your trying to quit seem to offer it to you don't they. I did have to kind of chuckle the other night one of the Drs. I work with told some of the girls "she said NO leave her alone" I was like right on. Thank you again for all the support and I liked the taking a walk Idea. I am going to try that tonight. for all.

Sarah
Old 07-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

You know what I do when people offer me food at work, and it actually works every time......I just casually say "No thank you - if I have that, it will set me off for the rest of the day" and I leave it at that. I dont know if they can infer from that statement what I mean, but I never have a problem and they always have stuff like donuts, cake, chinese food....etc
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

I wonder why people persevere when we say, "no". I mean, some people just don't let up! Why do we have to ram it down their throats?
"Ummm, helloooo? Did you hear me? I said, no."
I suppose they want us to share in their guilty pleasure. Unfortunately, most of those people are thinner than I am.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I used to tell people "no thanks, I'm diabetic and have to watch what I eat". They seemed to take this better than me saying, "no, I'm trying to diet". Before the weight came off, I did become diabetic, but not at the time I was saying it. My biggest tempter now is my son's GF. She is 5'9 and under-weight at only 117 lbs. She is constantly eating sweets and saying "would you like some of these honey buns, donuts or ice cream". I ignore her, she knows I have been working for over a year to lose weight. I think she's just being immature and thinks it's funny.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #12  

Do you think it is possible that maybe they feel guilty about eating all theat junk themselves? Maybe it makes them feel good to exploit others weakness because they don't have the strength to fight there own. I know a few times I just say no thanks I am not hungry. That only works if it isn't near supper break time. ha ha I am heading to work and crossing my fingers. I packed some healthy snacks and with all your support I am sure I will be fine. I hope you all have a good day or night whatever the case may be.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #13  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Ladies.

Christine - yes I think sometimes you have to be rude if they just are not taking no for an answer or just say, "I don't eat junk food, thanks." or "I'm trying to eat healthier or maintain a healthier lifestyle, thanks anyways."

Great advice here. I think the telling them your a diabetic would work. I am one, but nobody at work knows it. But working nights we don't have any food "days". I guess that is a good thing? Although I want to do one and it can be a healthy one, why does food "days" have to be unhealthy?? Anywho........

Sarah I think you got it. I think people feel very guilty about eating the junk. I know I do. I feel so guilty when I eat it. I even feel guilty about coming to this site when I am bad.

Well Good Luck everybody and "Keep Swimming"
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #14  
Shooting for Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
I wonder why people persevere when we say, "no". I mean, some people just don't let up! Why do we have to ram it down their throats?
"Ummm, helloooo? Did you hear me? I said, no."
It is so aggravating isn't it. Why can't no mean no to many people. I have had to say no 3-4 times before someone finally gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERnanner
Do you think it is possible that maybe they feel guilty about eating all theat junk themselves? Maybe it makes them feel good to exploit others weakness because they don't have the strength to fight there own.
Yes I think that is it, they do feel gulity, because I find many people that press me to eat more are friends who are over weight themselves. Hey I use to be their eating buddy and they actually like it when I go into binge mode. Then they don't feel so guilty when they induldge around me if I'm eating it too.

Lillybele I am diabetic and telling people doesn't work for me. They always remind me that so and so is diabetic and they eat that. If that person is aroound I get dirty looks when I explain that yes you can occasionally have a treat but not more than one and not every day. I tell them my sweet quota is up for the week. Some remind me that your diabetes isn't that bad so you can eat it. DUH if I keep on eating that junk my diabetes will get worse. Still doesn't work sometimes. You would think people would cheer you on being on track and trying to lose weight. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to see how quick you will give in.