Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #19

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood. The weatherman says each day is to be hotter from today through Monday so I suppose the air conditioner will be humming away shortly. I have my yearly physical this afternoon; I try to tell myself that an hour out of my year is worth it, but I sure hate going. I'd rather have a root canal any day! We were both tired after having Jason and family here on the 4th, then we kept Ian and "Wie" here yesterday taking them home when they were both ready for naps in the late afternoon. We took the boat out to watch the fireworks and Ian was so afraid he would fall asleep before they started. We assured him we would wake him up, but he managed to stay awake. As soon as they were over and we headed back across the lake, he was fast asleep.

A belated Happy 4th of July to you all! I was so tired when we got home last night I didn't even turn the computer on. That is unusual for me!

Gloria -- I'm sure you are glad your new oil tank is "in" and ready to go. You are good to toss stuff as you come across it. I'm finding hunks of newspaper clippings and wonder why in the world I saved them. I feel like we did just get out of school! After babysitting the grandkids twice in two weeks, and running for MIL, I feel like my vacation should be starting shortly!

"Gma" -- I used plently of Aloe on the sunburn! It's now turning tan with a white strip on the back side. Really the only part that was tender was my thighs. I can't get wine bottle corks out at all -- they usually end up in the bottle when I try to do them. I'm glad to hear that Jack's pf is so much better! I haven't had much luck with low fat cooking -- mostly "no taste" and I'm not very good at deciding what spices need to be added to perk it up. The lemon garlic chicken sounds good! Let us know how you like it.

I have lots of towels and bedding to wash so need to get started. Have a terrific day today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! I still had a headache so I took some Advil and decided to just come downstairs for awhile. I think it is from de-caffeining. I caught up on my cleaning yesterday so I have nothing to do today, even have all the chores finished except for cleaning the litter box, which I will do in awhile. I am going to go with Jack to his physical therapy evaluation. We are then going to go see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie this afternoon.

They have made SUCH a mess getting the condo next door ready. He has basically done a big remodel inside and even outside. He replaced all the floors, doors, ceiling fans, put in a new area in the back, though he tore out the rose bushes, which is too bad as they were pretty. The problem is, they stacked all the doors next to the garage and the trash man WON'T pick them up. They also have white stuff, from putting in the floors I guess, all over the place and now my side of the fence is covered in the stuff and all the gunk that was next door flowed onto my side as they left the hose running all day when they worked. I now have to get outside and clean it all up, but it has been too hot to do that. Maybe I can talk Jack into helping me this weekend get it all cleaned up.

Susan: Glad to hear Stan is home and I know he feels better in his own home. I hope he continues to improve. I just hope things settle down for you so you can get some rest and relaxation. You will have to email me a pic or two of your quilts some time. I would love to see them.

Jean: Hope the dr says you are a-ok for another year. Sort of like car maintenance, huh? You know it has to be done to keep it running, but it is a pain to take it to the shop because you don't want to hear what is wrong with it!!!!

My dd and sil's anniversary is next Wednesday so I have to get a card for them today. I usually get them something, like a gift basket, etc., but she wants one of those expensive Dyson vacuums so I told her I would give her money. She told me to give her money and tom money for their birthday's too. Tom didn't think that was such a great idea! He was getting stiffed on a birthday present for her vacuum cleaner. We did win a whopping $7 on the powerball so it will pay for the card.....

Guess I better try and rest for a couple more hours since Jack doesn't have to get up at 5 this morning. Everyone have a great day today!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! Well, I just wrote a note, hit the wrong button, and it went into *poof* never-never land! GRRRR! I have the house picked up and am ready to vacuum and mop. I just came upstairs to get towels to wash so thought I would stop by and say "hello." It's a beautiful morning in my corner of the world and only 73 degrees. I love it!

"Gma" -- Did you drink alot of caffeine that you would get a headache from not having any? I usually just have one cup of coffee in the morning and sometimes a Coke in the afternoon, but that is it. (besides chocolate once in awhile ) When we've visited in AZ, Bob will go out and buy regular coffee because they all drink the decaff stuff. I think I would be tempted to throw the trash back over the fence or at least let the owner know what a mess they have made for you to clean up. That is too bad. My phsical went fine; as usual I get myself in a tizzy just thinking about it. I got the usual "it would be good if you could lost 20#s and keep it off" lecture. I play with the same 10#s every year. I go in for the lab work tomorrow morning and the mammogram, bone density, and lung x-ray in a couple weeks. Our doctor has kids in the same classes as our two and we have gone to him for 30 years so we know each other pretty well. His house is for sale and I'm so afraid he is going to retire even though he is a couple years younger than I am. My bp isn't where he wants it to be consistently so am trying a new med that also the Liptor included. "They" keep lowering the numbers on everything and he says that people will have to be on mega med doses in order to comply. I think the pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots with somebody!

Susan -- If you posted on the previous thread, I will go back and check. I'm glad Stan is home and hope your day is going well. I just went back to read you post. You definitely have challenging days in taking care of Stan. I hope you are able to have some time for yourself to be able to quilt or do something else that you enjoy. My dad was the caregiver for my mom although not to the extent that you are. I sort of know what you are going through.

Well, I'll se if I can hit the right button this time. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-07-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #4  

Hello, Flowers! Still playing catch up at work and in another week the consultant will be here to move the database. Pretty hectic home and work.

Picking up ultra light wheelchair for DH tonight. Only 26 pounds so I think I can lift that and get it in the car, etc. He's doing well at home.

Finally cooled down to the 70 after being in high 90s for the last 2 weeks so I'm glad about that.

Sorry I posted on the wrong link yesterday. I did see the new one, wanted to catch up on the old one and just forgot and posted there. Nothing earth shattering, that's for sure.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #5  

Good morning gals! It is going to be another hot one here today. We went to Jack's PT appt yesterday and his therapist is a really nice guy who actually knows what he is talking about. He asked him all sort of questions and did some computer work then came back and explained what they were going to do to elongate the muscle in his calf and down into his foot to give him relief from pain. He is going to be going after work twice a week and we didn't pay a copay. We asked the lady and she said no, so I said if it changed we would pay it and she said that was fine so.....

We went to a deli for lunch and I was a good girl and had a turkey sandwich on wheatberry bread with lett, tom, yellow mustard and baked chips. I ate 2/3 of the sand and only a couple chips and about half my diet drink, but then screwed up and had nachos at the stupid movies. I don't know what I did that, but it is over and done with so we move on. We went to see the new Pirates of the Carribean and didn't know it was so popular. We ended up being finished with lunch at noon so got tickets for the 12:10 show and went in and the theater was crammed. We found aisle seats though and sat down. Some jerk behind us sat and talked on his cell phone during the movie. I was going to give him about 10 seconds more then I was getting someone from the theater. The phones aren't even supposed to be ON let alone blabbing on them. Don't you wonder what people did before the darn things were invented? Jack is a true gadget guy and was interested in buying a picture phone, but we do pay as you go because we lose money on a contract deal. He went into a Cingular store and looked around and came out and I talked to him about the fact we don't USE our phones enough to buy another new one. I have one and he has one, but my minutes pile up because I rarely have to carry mine. I only got it because it was a free deal and we thought it would be good in case Jack is at work and I have the car alone some place. Anyway, I asked him was it worth buying another one and getting a plan that was more expensive than the one we have now (our provider doesn't sell the fancy phones, yet.) He agreed it would be a waste of money since we actually OBEY the law and don't talk on the phone while driving! The movie had a tag ending that forces you to go to the next movie to see what happens. I liked it but Jack didn't. He doesn't like going to the theater and only goes because I am stuck in the house so much.

Susan: Does the support staff still go through training etc everytime you change to something else? I know I was forever in training for something when we would change. When I went to work at the law firm they were using Word Perfect, but I worked there 7 years and at the end they were changing over to Word and we had to take all these classes. At first I hated it because I thought Word Perfect was easier, but then I got used to Word and can manuever around it pretty well at this stage. I miss working I guess, but only sometimes. I do enjoy staying home. Where are they moving your database to?

Jean: I thought the caffeine was the issue too, so I didn't take anything for it until yesterday. I am wondering now whether I am having a reaction to something called (sp) Maillotol that they put in some sweets. Kelly bought me some sugar free Red Vines and I would chew on one of those if I got a little antsy food wise and didn't want to eat a lot of calories. I am wondering if that is what is causing the headaches. I am going to look on the internet and see what it says. I know it can cause diahrrea if you eat a lot of it all at once, sort of like Olean does with chips.

Keep my niece in your prayers, please. Her name is Eryn and a couple weeks ago she started having a rash that got worse and worse. They ended up taking her to the ER and they said she had a platelet condition called ITP and gave her some sort of treatment. Her platelets kept dropping and on the Fourth she started bleeding vaginally and hard and heavy that wouldn't stop so they took her back to the ER and gave her something called a Win-RHYO treatment and the next day did another blood test and her platelets are down to 7,000 (dropped a 1000 in one day) and should be above 40,000 so they are going to do lab work on Monday and if the treatment has not solved the problem do a bone marrow. My fear, of course, is leukemia. She is only 15.

Have a good day gals. I am going to get my downstairs chores finished and read until I can go to the pool and work off every nacho! Oh and we had pork tenderloin with veggies that was really good last night. I had never cooked tenderloin and it was very tasty, moist and tender. Best of all, low in fat and calories.

Faye
Old 07-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is hot and humid outside! We just got home from Jason's and the fence project. There were two sections to go and Jason had accidentally gotten two corner posts instead of regular posts plus he needed another section. He's making a trip to Menard's tonight while Bob is out doing chores and we will go back tomorrow to finish the project. I had the easy part of playing with "Wie" while Amanda worked this morning. Ian "helped" the guys. He made lots of trips back and forth so I'll bet he sleeps good tonight. . .his dad and grandpa too!

Susan -- It's nice to see you here! I'm sure Stan is glad to be home and you are glad to have him home again. I hope the database move goes ok as I have NO clue what that involves. I do well to get mine turned on and go where I want to get to.

"Gma" -- My cell phone is never on even though I carry it in my purse. I think some people are so rude when they talk on them -- at Bob's meetings the guys have to have them on vibrate or turned off and we aren't supposed to even have them in school although everyone does. We hardly ever go to movies and I think it is because we overdosed when we were dating. Then when we had the kids the prices went up and we didn't like paying a sitter for a movie we didn't know for sure that we would like. We have watched several when they are on TV. What a scary thing for Eryn to go through! I hope that the doctors can diagnose what the problem is. I will keep her in my prayers.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend! I'm off to do some laundry!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #7  

Good morning girls! I am a bit nauseous this morning so thought I would just get up and come downstairs and post. I have been waking us a little sick to my stomach in the mornings and it goes away, but it bugs me. Probably all that "good" food rather than "bad" food I am eating now! I can guarantee I am not pregnant so at least that is not the problem!

Jean: Hope you can finish up the fence project. I know how awful playing with the grandkids can be! I betch she is growing like a weed. Is "wie" what Ian calls her?

We had the best dinner last night. We opted for garlic grilled corn cobbettes instead of potatoes with salad and this grilled flank steak. Boy was it good. The basting sauce was quick and easy, though I substituted red pepper for chili powder and I think I put about 1/4 tsp too much in. Next time I will cut back. We bought a flank steak last grocery day and cut it in half and have made two dinners out of it. Actually, that is what we did with all the meat we bought. I cut the pork tenderloin in half as well as the roast. Sometimes it gets a little confusing halving the recipe ingredients, but at least we don't overeat this way. Jack put it out on the grill for like 10 minutes and it was spectacular. I only used 2 tbl margarine with tsp of chopped garlic for the cobbettes (4) and they came out tasty as well. I put a little salt and Jack a little pepper and yummy!

We got the new Penny's catalogue and I found a new comforter set for our bedroom I want to get. The one we have is less that a year old, but it was a bed in a bag and the darn comforter is too small for the bed. This one is quite a bit bigger and comes with 3 decorator pillows and the bedskirt and sham. I can also buy matching draperies if I like. The stupid draperies are more than the bedding is. They have a lot of good stuff on sale so I guess I will be shopping til I drop! I just wished it lasted longer so I could do some of the Christmas shopping. I have the trip to Indiana I have to pay for first.

I am in the gift buying mode again as this is the time of the year my kids, their spouses and Thomas all have birthdays and anniversaries then there is Christmas. I think I am going to buy a subscription to Highlights for Thomas. I always liked that magazine at the doctor's office when I was a kid. Mom bought me the Jack and Jill magazine and my sister some children's digest I can't think of the name. I remember my brother got the scouting magazine. Thank goodness for a mom who encouraged us to read. My dd and sil's anniversary is Wednesday, but they are getting money as she wants to buy a Dyson vacuum, which I guess are really expensive.

Well gals, nothing interesting going on in this part of the world. Have a great Sunday and I will talk with you tomorrow.

Faye
Old 07-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #8  

Happy Sunday, Flowers! It is HOT, HOT, HOT here in my neighborhood today. The car said 92 and the computer says it is 96 . . . humidity must be up because it is not nice outside. We left early this morning to finish the fence project, ate lunch, and headed home again. Bob is headed out to do chores and then I can wash his pig clothes so he can go fishing in them next weekend.

"Gma" -- I hate 'that' feeling and I hope you are feeling better by now. My first thought was to kid you about being pregnant. That would be exciting! Actually Jason started calling Zowie 'Wie' and I think it is because of the stupid way they spelled her name. She has huge blue eyes that are light blue in the middle and have a darker blue ring around the outside. What little hair she has is white blonde which I think may stay some shade of blonde because her eyebrows and eyelashes are blonde also. Bob keeps saying he hopes he is around when she starts bringing the boys home. I just got my Penney's catalog too. I thought it was even more skimpy this time; it came just before the 4th and I put it away so the kids wouldn't bother it. What are cobbettes? I have pictured tiny ears corn. I think money for anniversaries and birthdays is a great idea. When we were married my mom would send us a dollar for every year we'd been married. Jason and Amanda's 7th anniversary is the 17th. That doesn't seem possible. Beth has a Dyson vacuum and really likes it. I saw one in an ad and I'm thinking it was in the $400 - 500 range.

Well, I have more laundry to do so best keep moving. Enjoy the "rest of the day" and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #9  

Good morning everybody! Hope this morning finds you in fine fiddle.

Jean: I started feeling better a hour or so after I got up. I used to get up nauseous all the time years ago so who knows what it was. I don't feel that way this morning. Cobbettes are those little frozen ears that are half the size of a regular ear. Two cobbettes is equal to one piece of corn. Sounds like everything got finished yesterday and the fence is up and working for them. Was it like a chain link fence or was it a wooden one? I didn't realize Amanda's anniversary was so close to Kelly's. Kelly and Tom's 9th is the 12th then my dil's birthday is the 21st. She is getting a Dillard's gift card this year. I usually buy for them, but I am running out of ideas and forgot to ask my son. I also have my sil's birthday August 16th (easy to remember because it is the day Elvis died and their are scores of people here that day.)

We hung out at the house yesterday and watched the Cubs game and the NASCAR race in the afternoon. I went over swimming around 7:30 but didn't leave the house after that yesterday. It was pretty quiet here.

Hope everyone has a great day. On to chores and such! Swimming at 7:30!

Faye
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #10  

Good morning, flowers! Had a relaxing weekend working around the house and getting things a bit more organized. DH is doing better and getting a little stronger everyday. Managed to go out to the fabric store for an hour to get some fabrics for a quilt I am making. I'm so excited to be able to get some quilting done again.

Faye, you dinner sounds great! I love those cobettes...so handly in the winter time. I made this recipe I've had for 30 years yesterday, but make it more low fat friendly - Silver Spoon Chicken Rolls. Take 2 5-6 ounce boneless chicken breasts and flatten to 1/2 inch or a little less. Mix 4 ounces lowfat cream cheese with 1 T. chopped chives and from into 2 "logs". Sprinkle the chicken breasts with seasoned salt and pepper and place a cream cheese log on each. Fold in the sides and roll up. Roll a slice or 2 of turkey bacon around each log. Put in a pan sprayed with cooking spray and back for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve over rice with the sauce from the pan.

I use Trac Phone for my cell service, never completely use the minutes. Works for what I want - in case of emergency while driving or to keep in touch with my husband. I don't let anyone else even have the number.

We had a couple of 80 degree days but are on the way to 90's again this week - and humidity. Time to stay inside!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! I have had a hard time getting motivated today for some reason. I've vacuumed the fur bunnies and the cottonwood fuzzies off the screens so far. The vacuum is parked in the livingroom because I need to move furniture and check out what might be hiding underneath. I've done a load of laundry . . . moved a huge pile of folded clothes and found some things I forgot I had. I do need to start another Good Will box. I figured if I haven't worn something in over a year it's time to get rid of it!

"Gma" -- The fence is white vinyl with just two cross rails. The posts are hollow but are set on top of wood posts. It's not a "keep the kids in the yard" fence, but a visual aid to stay away from the retaining wall. If Ian were a super jumper he could probably jump on over to the neighbor below's roof, that's how big a drop it is. The neighbor's cement driveway is right by the wall and we all were afraid that Ian might forget and go on over sometime. Ian's yard isn't very big and he is so full of energy -- likes to run, jump, and tumble. He loves our yard because it's big and flat so he can run into the next yard and make a loop back to our yard. I am going to check for Cobbettes the next time I'm at the grocery store! Our area sweet corn should be just about ready -- the farm fields are pretty sick looking but the gardens are doing great because people water their gardens. We need rain badly.

Susan -- When you buy fabric, do you put together colors with a specific pattern in mind? My stepsister is a quilter and she will buy fabric that she likes and then decides what to do with it. Your recipe sounds good! I am going to copy it and give it a try. I'm not a good cook nor do I like to cook. I'm glad Stan is feeling better; I think that people recover better at home where they are surrounded by their own things!

Well, I do need to keep moving. Have a great "rest of the day" and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #12  

Good Morning gals! It is supposed to be hot hot hot this week. Our humidity is already 80% this morning. You can hardly breathe in weather like that.

I talked to my son last night and they are coming down here in November for Thanksgiving. I think I told you were weren't going to go up there for Thanksgiving this year and I was dreading telling him that we weren't coming. He says he misses Memphis and wants to come down. Bless his heart he is getting cauliflower ear from his jujitsu. He said his wife had to bring syringes home and drain them. He is having to wear one of those ear protectors when he fights. He only has a month and he is going to the Gracie International tournament in California. I know he is looking forward to that.

My husband is taking me on the coolest thing for my birthday in September. He is booking us on a murder mystery dinner train. I can't wait. It is in Kentucky, though, so we are going Saturday and coming back on Sunday. It is about 5.5 hours to get there and since the dinner is in the evening I told him we should stay the night at a hotel and come back the next day. It is a 2 hour train ride and you have a choice of Prime Rib, Cornish Game Hen, or Salmon with salad, rolls, potato or rice, vegetable, dessert and drinks. The "murder" is "Throw Grandma from the Train!" (hope it isn't me )

Susan: Oh that is great that Stan is starting to take a turn for the better. It is always better at home, I think. We use Tracfone too and though we use Jack's minutes, I have like 400 built up on mine because I rarely use my phone. I usually take Jack's if I am going somewhere and he is at home because his is smaller. I got mine free so it is one of those long ones that doesn't flip open. It does what it needs to do though and that is provide emergency sevice if we need it. My older sister has taken to hunting us down if she can't get us on the phone at home. It drives me nuts so Jack programmed in a separate ring when she calls. It is a police siren! Then if we don't want to talk to her we don't answer. She called my house THREE times when we were in Nashville and twice to my cell, which was in the hotel and twice to Jack's before she got us. She hunted us down and 3rd degreed me on why I wasn't home and where I was and what was I doing and why was I there. She is incredibly nosy and thinks she should control everybody's lives. It is not like she does this because it is important like her husband is worse or something. When she did this in Nashville she said she hadn't talked to me in a week or so, blah, blah, blah. I love her but it drives me mad sometimes.

Jean: I think our carpenter bees finally gave up and moved on or died. I haven't seen any evidence on our fence anymore. They need to be replaced or stained or something, but they won't do that. I wonder how much trouble I would get into if I stained my side myself??? We still don't have anyone in next door, but it is now only a matter of time. I saw yesterday that they have the carpeting down in the living room and that is probaby the last of it. How long of a "real" summer do you have? I know you said once before that a lot of people don't put pools in because your weather doesn't stay warm enough long enough. Ours is certainly heating right up. I looked at the weather report and we are supposed to have mid to upper 90's for the next 10 days at least. Great swimming weather, but hard on Jack if he is having to work outdoors for any length of time.

I guess I should get going. I need to mop downstairs this morning and the darn broom, mop and bucket won't sweep and fill themselves and mop without my help!

Faye
Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies! Hot and humid here, too. Painters came and power washed the house yesterday. Were supposed to start painting today but haven't come yet. Also having some rotten wood replaced. Always a mess at my house.

Taking DH to 2 doctors tomorrow morning. See how he's doing. Hope they are pleased.

I probably have several hundred yards of fabric...buy it because I like it, because its on sale, etc. Now I only buy to fill in for a specific quilt I am making. I do a lot of applique. Some of my quilts have more than 200 different fabrics in them until I get the applique shaded the way I want.

My friend is coming to stay with DH tonight so I can go to quilt quild. I am really excited because we are having an out of town speaker tonight.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is a cloudy day and misted for about 10 seconds. We could use a couple days of gentle rains. If the sun comes out it will be miserable. I am working on another pile and put a few things in the Good Will box. Sooner or later I will get it all done . . . probably later rather than sooner. *sigh*

"Gma" -- It's very muggy here today but the temperature is hovering at 76 degrees right now. It's nice that your son and dil will come for Thanksgiving! I don't think I've ever heard you mention that he does jujitsu . . . what is it? We did a mystery train ride a couple of summers ago. We had some actors from Omaha, but each table also had one person be a character -- they stayed in their seats while the actors went up and down the aisle. It was great fun and I'm sure you will enjoy it! Bob has had people get upset when he won't give them his cell phone # and he tries to explain that it is used mostly so that his secretary, his wife, or his kids can leave a message for him when he is not in the office, and also that he doesn't carry it with him unless he is expecting a call. I keep mine in my purse but it is off unless I know someone is going to call me. I would say that our true swimming weather would be from mid-June through August, give or take a couple weeks. There are lots of in-ground and above ground pools around the area and we seem to see even more on farms as we drive by. The lake water temperature was 78 degrees when we were out on the
4th. That's bath water temperature! Our lake isn't very deep so it is warmer than MIL's lake would be. I'm surprised your pool isn't open longer simply because you are warmer longer than we are. I suppose the management just doesn't want the hassle.

Susan -- Getting your house painted will be a good job to have done. I don't envy anyone painting in the hot and humid weather. Enjoy your quilt guild tonight!

I need to keep moving so have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #15  

Jean, we are also warmer longer but the pool closes Labor Day, like the amusement parks, because the kids who work there and do lifeguarding go back to school. In VA every pool in a housing development must have a lifeguard, no going in and swimming anytime.

I need to get kitchen cupboards cleaned out and about half the stuff in them should go to DAV since I don't use it anymore. Have a trash bag of clothes in my car now to drop off Saturday.

My husband has been approved for home health care - finally! He'll have 20 hours a week, 10-2 Monday thru Friday. I am so happy.