Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #1  
Believe and Achieve

S/C/G: 365/311/180

Smile "I think I'll ditch the exercising for today"

I used to say that so many times in past diets. And you know what happened? The diet ended up failing because I had no self-dicipline. I had to make some changes. I starting changing the way my mind thinks. The very moment that the word "exercise" came into my mind I immediately did some exercise or stretching. That's what you have to do. Don't procrastinate and say "I'll just do some exercises tonight," because you may end up not doing them at all and dreading it even more. Start changing the way your mind thinks. When exercise comes to thought, do it now not later. Don't procrastinate at all even if it has nothing to do with exercise. You know there's a huge pile of dishes in there that needs your attention and you think you'll do it later. No. To change the way your mind thinks immediately do those dishes so you won't dread it later. This is the beginning of self-dicipline. When you stop procrasting you will get more things done and have more time in the day. Sometimes you will dread it, I do to, but fight the dread. Change your mind!!
butterfly_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

That is so true! And it's such a relief to get the stuff that I am dreading out of the way. Whether it's exercising, household chores, or work chores, I always feel great to have them done and behind me. It's so much easier to enjoy the rest of my day if I'm not worried about something I should be doing but am avoiding.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

I don't mind putting off chores, because eventually the dishes will get done as there is an immediate need to complete that chore. HOWEVER, exercise is so much more ambiguous ... I can put it off one day and not experience any dire immediate consequences.

I guess what I'm saying is ... I need to apply this to exercise. Think of it? DO IT. Great plan! That means I should have gotten up this morning and walked for a half-hour. Thanks for the suggestion!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #4  
Believe and Achieve

S/C/G: 365/311/180

I forgot to mention that every morning when you wake up say something good about yourself and say something that you are thankful for. After this has turned into a habit you'll be amazed at how better you feel.
butterfly_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #5  
Fat-be-gone

I am so with you. That is one of my biggest problems with working out. I put it off and put it off, until finally I just don't do it. I don't want to be that type of person anymore. If I say I'm going to workout, I'm going to do it and with a smile. If I put the same amount of energy into working out as the same amount I use to argue with my myself about getting it done, I'd be smoking hot right now.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #6  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I find a routine helps me most...a "No Negotiations" routine. Its like an abuse of our god given freedom. Ironically its that very freedom that ends up hurting us in the end if we allow it. I don't see it any different than a dead line at work. Unless of course something serious or urgent pops up...thats rare though.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

While I enjoy some forms of exercise, I have NEVER been one to exercise regularly. Getting food habits in place were a lot easier for me than exercise.

I would avoid exercise many days, I think, but I set up a system where I have to get in a certain number of minutes of exercise per month. This allows me to miss some days while keeping up with it regularly. If you look in my sig, you'll see how my exercise has increased since I starting doing this in November.

While the system does allow for days off, I'm in a groove and have done some kind of exercise now every day since May 25th! Not bad for this couch potato! Many days that only exercise is 10 minutes of ab and back exercises or a 15 minute walk with my dogs, but other days I get in walks on the treadmill, go lifting at the gym and have started bike riding too. And boy, yard work can be great exercise!!

I agree that I can no longer make not exercising an option for myself. In fact, on the days I really don't want to do it, I tell myself that it's not about what I want right now. Period. And then I lace up the shoes...often grumbling the whole time. But the rewards are just too great to NOT do it. Not just weight loss but strength, stamina and energy!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #8  

On days when I grumble to myself about exercising, like today, I do the following:
"I may as well go, I'm dressed in workout clothes"
"I'll only do 30 minutes moderate" (today was cardio day)
"I may as well try a running interval, since I'm all sweaty anyways"
"I managed one interval; I may as well do another"
And so on.

Before I know it, I have done a terrific workout.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

northernbelle, I do the same as you. When I don't want to exercise, I'll get on the treadmill thinking I'll just do 1/2 mile. When I get there, I always think, I can go a little further. I always end up going ahead and doing 1 1/2 miles or more. I think I'm sweating anyways, so might as well keep going.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote