Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/262/180

Thumbs down #139- Discussion thread

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would start up another discussion thread for us to talk about Christmas and New Years goals.

I am personally doing really lousy. It wasn't really even Thanksgiving that took me off plan.... just been really lazy and complacent.

Time to put a STOP to the gaining... and a start to the healthier way of life. Who's with me!?!?!

Michelle
Old 11-25-2001, 07:04 PM   #2  

Thumbs down I Do Understand...

Until a month ago, I had gone off my program--- way off. In a few short months, I wiped out the losses it took me up to a year to lose. Of course, had I been more focused in the first place, I would have done much better and stayed on program. So now it's JUST DO IT for me. I am with you! We will get this done and we will be successful!

Mello1

308.4/299.4/150

''
Old 11-25-2001, 08:32 PM   #3  

Why exactly is it that the weight that takes forever to get off flies back on. You can almost see the fat flying in from a distance.

I haven't made any really weight related goals, but do need to do much better on the water. I have slacked off a great deal on that and with my kidney problems, not drinking a fair amount of water is stupid, weight thing aside.

One thing I have done better on is not eating at night after supper. I have been known to have a full "feast-a-thon" from supper to bedtime and have finally wised up enough to understand that I don't sleep very well overloaded with food. I posted the Overeater's and Abstinence program I am working on in another thread.

I found an interesting way not to overeat at Thanksgiving. Get the Flu!!! I was down all day turkey day and only up for brief bursts of shopping the rest of the weekend. Not something I would advocate as a weight loss method. Didn't gain, but didn't lose.

Elaine

297/269 currently
Old 11-25-2001, 10:08 PM   #4  
beautiful

I am sorry I didnt send a message sooner to let you all know what was going on. On Friday I went to the hospital to be monitored because I hadn't felt the baby move for the kick counts. they admitted me dilated to a 1 still... the baby's heart rate kept falling and they didnt want to send me home and risk the baby being still born. so i ended up going into labor on my own around 2 that afternoon and the next morning i was dilated to a 5 so they broke my water and started pitocin because i wasnt progressing. i got an epidural but it didnt work. after 28 hours of a really hard labor from **** Bryleigh Jayne was born at 5:59 pm on November 24, 2001. She had the cord around her neck and was VERY purple. her apgar scores were 7 and 9. She was approximately 2 1/2 weeks early and weighed 9 lbs 3 oz and was 19 1/4 inches long and it hurt soooooo bad. but she is doing very well, and has a head full of dark hair. this labor was very hard on me and i am in major pain so i probably wont be on too much for a few days so i get rest up and heal a bit. i just thought i would jump on to let you all know.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:59 PM   #5  

Talking

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! God bless you and your new precious bundle of joy!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:42 PM   #6  

Hi all,
I have just made a committment to myself to stop the crazy eating and get control again. I am with you Michelle!

I look back at the last two years or so and how I continued to eat and berate my self. Where was my head?

I know that this is going to work this time. I have ups and downs but I find myself coming back to these discussions and just reading someone elses words boosts me enough to carry on.

You can do this and so can I. We all can. I moment at time some days

Hang in there.

Karie
Old 11-27-2001, 08:04 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Karie the sefl incrimination is what make us fail. we need to accept that we had a small goof and then get back OP. if we self incriminate then we are being to hard o our selves and then we feel like we have lost and then we fall down again and again. we need to stand tall and be proud of who we are. everybody makes mistakes (even me ) so here is a hand ........ we need to all help each other when we have a bad day to stay OP. so do not be hard on your self when you slip it will happen we are human.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:57 AM   #8  

You're right Sue,
That kind of thinking kind of sneaks up on me. I feel like I am in a completely different place this time and part of that is because of finding this group.

I weighed in today and had a 1.6 loss. I am happy with that slow and steady rate.

Hope you are doing well too!

Karie
Old 11-28-2001, 04:44 AM   #9  
Work in Progress

Hi All,
This is a great thread. Teach 93 had brought up something similar awhile back.

This is for and about my weight loss battle.
In the almost a year I have learned alot about myself in relation to my eating and my weight. I have used food in so many ways than to supply food to my body. I have used my weight for so many things as well. I have spent the past year changing my thinking patterns and getting honest with myself. It hasn't always been pleasent, but until I did I hadn't any real success.
One of the things that Teach93 made me aware of is Dr. Phil from Oprah. He has developed these things he calls Life strategies. I went to her web site and he had a special section. The first strategiy was "either you get it or you don't" I decided I wasn't getting "it". The "it" was that I and only I am responsible for what I put in my mouth and for the choices I make each day. I then am respomsonsible for the outcome. If I eat the wrong foods or too much I am responsible thus I am responsible for my weight. This is neither right or wrong it just is. I know if I cheat that it will show on the scale whether w/ weight or water gain. It si just that simple. No one makes me eat anything. I am aslo reponsible for my reaction to it. continue this woe or make changes. But I have to own what I did and teh result. I can't blame my feelings, DH, work, etc. I make my choices. I either can choose that in order for me to attain my weight loss goal I need to eat less and move more or accaept that if I don't I will stay fat. I CHOOSE THIS! I looked at waht I get when I eat the wrong foods, there were rewards, I looked at how I benefit from being fat. I didn;'t like alot of what I saw, but it was true. I liked the taste of candy, the feeling it gave me that only lasted 30mins or less. Being fat kept me from getting attention, kept me from getting to know peopel. It kept me from job success'. So I started to get it and it has made a difference for me. I got his audio book on life strategies from teh library and listen to it while I am wrking out. Some days I get it more than others but it (I) have made a difference in my life.

Thanks for listening and for a great topic
Old 11-28-2001, 07:36 AM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Pat, does Dr Phil have a book out and what is the name of this tape? I think I would like to look at this guy's information. I am not an Oprah watcher but I have seen him a little, at least I know who he is.

Right now I have decided that my biggest hurdle to losing weight is not drinking enough water and eating too many carbs. I'm not going to low carb exactly but I really need to cut back on them. I eat way too much bread, rolls, cookies etc. Also I am not eating enough fruits and veggies. I buy them and end up throwing them out. Yesterday I tossed 2 oranges and an apple that had gone bad. Today my goal is to finish up what I have in the house and then do a trip to the market and buy fresh stuff and get it ready for eating (washing and cutting up right away, that sort of thing).

Sue, I totally agree with you about self incrimination being bad and negative. I think we spend too much time berating ourselves for being 'bad' and not enough time praising ourselves. So I should say to myself that even though I am not doing so hot with my diet, I am totally kicking in the exercise department, I get out for a walk practically every day. Let's all try that, everyone post something good about themselves and be proud of what you have accomplished!
Old 11-28-2001, 08:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 380/262/180

Well...

...hmm...

I guess one good thing I've done is have cheerios and skim milk for breakfast today, rather then my bagel and cream cheese or donuts. Does that count?

Dr. Phil is very good, I agree. His "sh*t or get off the pot" (hope no ones offended) attitude really makes you re-evaluate how you live your life.

I'm at work, sorry this is so short. Have a good OP day chickies!

Michelle
Old 11-28-2001, 11:09 AM   #12  

I think a good think about me is that I don't give up. I may take a break but I do come back to the struggle whatever it may be.

Pat,
I liked what you had to say about the notion of taking responsibility for ourselves. Like everyone, I have had lots of weight battles over the years and I think that I had almost come to feel victimized by my weight as if somehow it "just happened" to me rather than I had any direct responsibility for it. I became resigned to the fact that I was "big boned" or genetically determined and then there was no where to go with it. It wasn't until I realized that I could make a difference and that in fact I was the only one who could that I started to feel like things could be different. That "getting it" sense felt like waking up after a long sleep to me and has made me feel more like I actually live in this body. Sometimes that is scary because along with that comes the awareness of my body but I am starting to feel more like a whole person. I used to feel like I went along in a fog.

I would love to listen to the tapes you are talking about. Could you post the name of the tape and I will see if I can find it at our library?

Hope this doesn't sound too wierd and you understand what I mean. I am tentatively excited about these new developments and feel like this is the time I will get to my goal.

Thanks everyone for listening. I better get on with my day.

Karie
Old 11-28-2001, 01:48 PM   #13  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello all...

Yup, it's the MIA Punkinseed... I've been gone so long, I missed you guys!

Kari - Welcome to the group!

jkfla - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so happy you had a healthy girl - I love her name!

Well, where have I been... I moved in October and had my house warming on Nov. 17th. It feels good to be in my own home, with the kitties (I just got a sister to my Luna on 11/17, I named her Stella).
I gained back every stinkin' pound that I'd lost. I knew I would - I started getting lazy and honestly I just didn't care. I'm starting to care again and I know that I can only start to get serious about this when I'm good and ready to. Forcing yourself to change when there's still that little part of you that refuses to see any problem just makes it impossible... I feel bad, my feet hurt... I'm getting ready to get ready.

As for Dr. Phil, yes, I love him! I've always had the attitude of "put up or shut up" - too bad I can't direct that toward my weight issues huh? I've also been a huge Susan Powter fan over the years. I hear she's living somewhat near me and has been getting back out n' about in the biz again. We'll see what she's going to come up with this time!

That's it for now - thanks for the support in the past and hopefully (I'm sure!) the support in the future. This place makes me accountable and I know that's what I need!!

Terri
Old 11-29-2001, 05:02 AM   #14  
Work in Progress

HI,
The book is called Life Strategies By Dr, Phillip Mc Graw
He also has a book Relatonship Rescue and a new one out called Self Matters( I bought this for my sister and it looked good. I too am not an Oprah watcher but I do get her magazine regularly and love it. I am not a "self help book person" either but there was something about this life strategy thing that made sence to me.

I guess the thing is I was wishing that alot in my life would change. My work, weight, attitude feelings and waiting for these things to happen and they didn't. The trouble was I wasn't putting any action in to make these things change. I can wish all I want but if I am not going to make any changes in my life to support these wishes then that is all they are is wishes. There aren't any fairy god mothers out there to help. It really is no ones responsibility but my own to monitor what I do or eat thusI am responsible. This hasn't been easy and as I sit here I am debating about my morning exercise. I know If I don';t I won't have as much energy and I will eat more thru out theday. I can justufy to myself why I can skip today. Stress, new job, no computer time etc. BUt the reality is I just need to do it! I am better now than a few months ago. It has taken time to add this regularly in my life. But the results are good and that motivates me to continue. Well I gotta go

Hi Punkinseed

Ilove the feedback
Old 11-30-2001, 12:53 AM   #15  

Pat
I really appreciate your reflections. I find myself examining my own thinking. I know all this stuff but somehow I just lose touch with it sometimes. The minute I step back into it, I feel so clearheaded and like I have control of my whole life. I find it is so helpful hearing someone elses perspective. It seems to help me refocus.

I also think that we need to be ready to hear some things. I can hear the same thing twenty times and then one day I just "get it".

I plan to work very hard to hold this space until it becomes a natural way of being.

Thanks,
Karie
Closed Thread