Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/165/145

Default What's the rush?

So in a little over 4 months, I've lost about 60 lbs. I've done it by eating healthy, and TONS of exercise (1.5-2.5 hrs/day every day).

Sometimes I deprive myself so much because of "fat days" that I allowed myself to have and then regret. I just basically eat less than 1100 calories for about 3 days straight, and the extra weight I gained seems to come off.

Today at the gym, I was REALLY craving some fajita tacos, but kept debating on whether or not to have them as I had already treated myself to a Caesar (sp?) Salad last week when a friend invited me to lunch. I, at that time, did not know that this was the most high calorie salad on the menu!

So...I was talking to myself, as I'm sure many of us do . And thought to myself, "What's the rush? Why do you want to lose weight so quickly? As long as you don't pile on the pounds all week, treat yourself when you feel like it. Just don't go overboard."

I came home and went and got my tacos. Now....I'm feeling guilty. Why? I don't know. I talked myself into being able to have these tacos, and now I'm regretting it like I always do!

I really want to be at 160 by my birthday (Sept. 17). I guess since it's only 2.5 months away, I'm afraid I won't get there or something. But I'm only 16 lbs away! Maybe 17 now that I've had these tacos today, but either way. 2 months is a very reasonable amount of time to lose 16 lbs. But for some reason I don't think I'm going to get there in time, so I try to make up for it by super restricting myself to get there sooner.

I hope this makes sense, and it's just an open rant about my view on my weight loss.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that I've lost this much weight in this amount of time, but I guess I won't be satisfied until I reach my goals!

Thanks for reading

*maggie*
JustAGirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #2  
Lovin' being Vegan

S/C/G: 168/153/135

makes TOTAL sense! i do that all the time. lol. dont feel guilty, just dont make it a regular thing. i have once a week i let myself eat what i want for a meal or have a really good dessert. looking forward to that day makes all the others alot easier, knowing that i can have it once a week
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

WOW! Congratulations! That's a fantastic loss in a relatively short time!

I think the reason we feel like we have to rush is because we've all had experience with diets that we haven't stuck with or that haven't worked. Maybe when we finally get into the "mind set" to lose weight AND find something that is really working, we just don't want to lose the momentum. My personal experience has been when I'm losing weight well, I start to get smug. It gets easier to justify a little cheat here and there, and pretty soon the whole diet is shot. One "bad" day can ruin a whole lot of "good" days.

That being said, I know it's not good to lose too much weight too fast. They say that the longer it takes someone to lose weight, the better they can keep it off. We'd all like to arrive at our destination without the extra poundage AND with our gall bladders intact.

Wishing you continued success and good luck! :-)
CafeAmericain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeAmericain
That being said, I know it's not good to lose too much weight too fast. They say that the longer it takes someone to lose weight, the better they can keep it off. We'd all like to arrive at our destination without the extra poundage AND with our gall bladders intact.
Speaking as someone that did lose a lot of weight (120lbs.) pretty quickly I can say that it definately is NOT a good idea. I had 2 casualties, #1, my gall bladder gone, due entirely to the loss as my doctor told me and #2 the weight loss itself. It came back because the way I did it wasn't something I could maintain for the rest of my life.

If this isn't something you can continue, then slow down. You'll thank yourself in the long run.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I bet that feels fantastic to have lost weight that quickly. I lost 60 lbs. in the first 6 months and started at almost the same weight as you. Then it has taken me 6 more months to lose the next 27 lbs. I am still eating on program and exercising a lot. This is something I can live with. I have only really had about 3 treat meals in a year. Good luck to you and your continued success. My advice is, stick to what works for you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My advice is to stop killing yourself slowly. 1100 calories isn't enough, especially when coupled with that much exercise.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think you are so right that you have to take a long term approach in all of this. I want to KEEP off the weight I lose, not just lose it as quickly as possible.

I also know that I can control my behaviors (eating and exercise) but can't fully control what the scale does -- otherwise I would already be in Onederland! So I try to focus on what I do, rather than what the scale does (though I do celebrate those losses, oh yes!).

As you lose, you naturally burn fewer calories, so weight loss typically slows down. You may or may not make that goal you want by the date you want, but is the date really important? Or is the ultimate loss important? What if you don't make your goal -- will that frustrate you and make you feel you aren't successful and then you'll give up? That would be counterproductive!

So, make choices that will, over the long haul, result in weight loss, even if every single meal doesn't have all the best choices, and you will be successful.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #8  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Horray on the weight loss so far!!!

I thing you need to be a little easier on your self, allow yourself some of those things you are wanting...make one day you "free meal and dessert day" or find recipies of your favorit restauarant foods and modify them at home... just remember themore you restrict the more you will want to rebell and eventually give in...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Can someone explain more about the rapid weight loss and gallbladder connection? We have gb problems in our family and I would like to not go that same route myself. Post a link if that's easier. Thanks.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/165/145

Default Thank you!

Thank you everyone for all the uplifting words! I really appreciate it.

Last night I was really craving a McFlurry as well haha, but then I was just thought to myself "See, now you're just getting spoiled, STOP IT!" and I did! I stopped the craving. I am eating better, and living a better lifestyle than I ever imagined I could. Im definitely thankful for that.

Thanks again
JustAGirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #11  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

How to likely stop Mcflurry cravings: go to the mcdonalds website and look at the nutrition guide. YIKES.
If it's still worth it after that, then plan for a day when you can fit it into your weekly caloric allowance, then you won't feel as guilty.

Plan to have a craving meal once a week but I think anymore often than that you might be looking at trouble.
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe
Can someone explain more about the rapid weight loss and gallbladder connection? We have gb problems in our family and I would like to not go that same route myself. Post a link if that's easier. Thanks.
Low calorie diets and rapid weight loss (>3# per week) can change the composition of the bile within the gallbladder. The cholesterol in the bile increases, while the bile salts decrease. Also, diets too low in fat or going too long without eating (i.e. skipping meals) can decrease gallbladder contractions, making it ineffective at expelling the bile. This can lead to gallstone formation.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote