Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #1  
Believe and Achieve

S/C/G: 365/311/180

Smile breaking old ways and rewards

Today my mom, brother, and I went a little shopping at Wal-Mart; about a 40minute drive. When we got there I asked that she park at the end of the parking lot just to walk farther. When we got up to the store mom then realized that she left her money back in the car. So instead of waiting on her like I used to do I walked with her just for the extra calorie burn. So I think I did pretty good. I probably walked a total of two or three miles today. Now there were two huge water blisters on the side of my little toe on both feet. lol. Don't ya just hate those things? I popped it, now it's just some skin. Ok I need to stop that's kinda gross. lol.
Anyways.... I was trying to thank of a way to reward myself in a year (June 2007) of the weight I have lost. So then I would look forward to that date and it'll help me keep on being strong on this diet. I was thinking about going to a theme park. I LOVE roller coasters but can't ride them because, well.....you know. How do you reward yourself? And what are some other rewards I could do?
butterfly_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Hey girlie it sounds like you need to get a pair of walking shoes now that you are doing all this walking (you were walking in flip flops or sandals, weren't you?). I bought mine at Kmart last year and just bought a new pair because I finally wore them out. I say they gave me a good 1000 miles. But a new pair of shoes is a reward for NOW.

Have you ever been to a retreat spa or something like that? I want to do something like that. But personally, I buy new clothes for my rewards. I want to give myself a HUGE reward when I get to goal, but unfortunately I am finacially strained, and couldn't. I'd love to go back to Europe (Italy specifically), but it's only a dream. And another reward I'm definitely giving myself is reconstructive surgery. I did the theme park too, after avoiding it for 5 years!!! I didn't consider it a reward though, but I guess it was.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:34 AM   #3  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi!

Congratulations on your weight loss and also your walking! Every bit helps! Every time we move we are using calories!

I make it a rule to never reward myself with food of any kind. I suspect that I did a lot of that kind of rewarding in the past!

Things that I do to reward myself NOW are:

1) Getting a CD that I really like

2) Buying a new shirt or pair of pants

3) New nail polish or cosmetics/cologne

4) Books

5) Going to a movie

6) New undies

7) Writing good things about my progress in my journal

8) A day OFF any housework

9) New shoes

10) A new workout video/ workout equipment

My most recent reward was a speed jump rope! I'm up to 300 jumps at a time now, and I'm burning 21 calories a minute according to the chart I found on the Internet. GREAT reward, that jump rope!

Keep up the great work!:

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I love roller coasters, too, but haven't been on one in years for the very same reason That is definitely going to be my ultimate reward--I live within a few hours drive of at least 3 pretty good parks (Six Flags America, Paramount's Kings' Dominion, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg), and it kills me to see all the ads on tv for discounted tickets and at work I get discounted tickets, but I can't use them. Maybe as motivation, I will start hanging pictures of roller coasters on my fridge, my cabinets, in my car (to keep me from going through the drive-thru )...

I have difficulty finding more short-term rewards. I haven't been using clothing as a reward because, well, I got a new job, and I needed nicer clothes NOW I don't really wear makeup or anything, and as much as I love bubbles, I cannot take a bath in the tub in my apartment--not because it's dirty, but because it's old and peeling and gross--I don't buy CDs because we download all of our music, and we don't buy movies because we get DVDs through Netflix. I don't read books because I'm a technical writer/editor by profession, so the last thing I want to do to relax is MORE reading I went for a spa day a couple months ago with my sister just before her wedding, and I hated it--I guess I just didn't get the point. Okay, so I'm insane and not at all girly in any way, so I don't know how to reward myself. Like Harpo mentioned, I'm also not in a financial place to be spending much on rewards (since it costs me more to go grocery shopping for healthier stuff as it is ). So, I'm glad you asked the question because it will be nice to see if anything pops up that would work for me, too
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I went back and looked at my journal the other day (I've been having a tough time keeping the mojo going these days). One of the big goals I have is hiking part of the Appalachian Trail. I do some easy hiking and lots of walking here in the city and up in the Hudson Valley. It's a down the road big goal, I'm not ready for something that ambitious yet.

I was very happy this weekend, though, when, after a workout at the gym, I walked to the local farmer's market then home again (about 2 miles) at a fast clip on the bike/jogging road through the park. I didn't feel winded, or all that tired. I felt like I could go out again after that. I have come a log way from being wiped out from walking a block!

I went down a size last month, and can get into 18/20, I can wear a men's large. Buying the clothes is a great reward. I think I get Jill's feeling though, that I have to have the clothes, so I'd get them anyway, ha.

I guess what I'm saying is the dare to dream goals, you know, the letting my brain picture myself as that different, in shape chick, that may need to be my new focus. And the rewards being I'm physically and mentally able to do all the things that for a long time I thought I never would.

so what are your big fantasies? what do you see that at goal lady doing? maybe you can tie your mini goals into that.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 07-04-2006 at 02:32 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My reward when I reach goal is new haircut and hi-lights. Also, saving money for a breast lift. I wanted to go on a cruise, but new boobies won out.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I did rewards at 10 lb increments:

180 - new sandals I wanted
170 - massage
160 - some new clothes
150 - expensive cut/color at a nice salon
140 - massage

I definitely NEVER rewarded weight loss with food (Oh, I've lost 10 lbs, I can now eat fast food fries)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #8  
Believe and Achieve

You all have some good ideas. I really love roller coasters and my dream is to be able to ride them all at a theme park 3 hours away from where I live. Jill, I like what you said about the coaster pictures. Maybe I can get a bunch of roller coaster pictures and put them on the my mirror, fridge, or in a scrapbook. Great idea!!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_dreams
Jill, I like what you said about the coaster pictures. Maybe I can get a bunch of roller coaster pictures and put them on the my mirror, fridge, or in a scrapbook. Great idea!!
You're going to die laughing, but this idea (for me) actually came from an episode of Full House. DJ wanted to lose weight, so she was hanging up pictures of beautiful, thin women around the house so she would see them every time she reached for food. I'm not about to start taping chicks in bikinis in all my cabinets (although I'm sure the boyfriend would love it), but roller coasters and other inspiring images seem a bit more feasible
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #10  
Believe and Achieve

lol Jill. I couldn't do that, my brother would be calling me gay and all that crap.lol I can't say I haven't done that before though. lol lol. But now whenever I need a little inspiration, I pull out a magazine. They're full of itty bitty ladies. Kinda sad though cause bigger people are beautiful too. Right girls???