Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #1  
Started LC 1/1/12

S/C/G: 185/179/145

Default I Just can't Do This

I work alot of 12 hour days. I start (sometimes ) at 2:30 a.m. till 2:30 p.m. I also work swing shift. I packed my meals but sure enough, I hit the vending machines. I do get exercise, but I just can't eat a squeaky clean diet. Is that the only way to lose any weight? I'm currently with a personal trainer twice a week and I try to get to the gym for cardio, if not, I walk for a half hour. I just want to pack it in. How do you do it? I did have chicken breast and green beans packed also but didn't eat it.

Mary Ann
odirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #2  
No description available.

You CAN do this. I work 12s sometimes, 24s sometimes, 8s sometimes. I do not have a squeaky clean diet either, but I am exercising my tush off. Pack something yummy so that you look forward to it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #3  
Started LC 1/1/12

S/C/G: 185/179/145

Do you follow any certain plan? I joined WW for a year and lost 4 lbs. I started South Beach, but after I started Phase 2, I just felt out of control. I had my thyroid checked, it's ok. I thought of a nutritionist, but I think she'd only tell me what I already know.

Mary Ann
odirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #4  

Smile Understanding

I too have trouble with my busy schedule and finding time to make time for myself. I watch what I eat and try to exercise. I just find it hard to find the time for "exercise". I am worth finding the time for me. Keep hanging in there. I know that it sure helps to know that we aren't alone in this battle.
littledove67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Maybe you went for the vending machine instead of chicken and green beans because chicken and green beans is kinda boring and not as appealing as vending machine food? I pack food for work, but I make sure I take stuff I like and look forward to eating.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #6  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by odirish
I do get exercise, but I just can't eat a squeaky clean diet. Is that the only way to lose any weight?
Unfortunately, I think diet is about 80% of weight loss, though exercise IS important. We just can't out-exercise too many calories.

About plans - we did a survey here in Maintainers last year and most people created their own plans and/or simply counted calories. WW came in a distant third, but it was the most popular 'plan' that people used. Glory's right - you'll eat what you pack if it's something you like and look forward to - so why not create your own plan, based on what you like and don't like?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

You certainly can't do it if you keep telling yourself you can't. There really is a lot of power in self-talk and sometimes more so in negative self-talk. Try rephrasing what you tell yourself, and at the same time plan, plan, plan for what you're going to do. These long shifts are really hard, I agree, but it's likely not something new for you, right?

Others have given you good suggestions. It's always better to look forward to what you brought to eat. And some artifical anticipation is a good thing here. And how about you don't take any money for the vending machine? I had a big vending machine habit at one job. Finally I did two things about it - stopped having change or small bills with me, and posting a little note to myself, visible to me any time I looked at the clock or calendar, of how many days I'd refrained from visiting the mechical food pusher.

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but you seem to be caught up in why you can't lose weight rather than creating a positive plan for doing it. Try looking at the whole journey in small pieces. You don't have to do it all at once. You have taken a great leap in upping your exercise. Now plan the next step - maybe just avoiding the vending machine for one shift, or even as little as committing to yourself to eat what you brought first. Lots of time, just being able to postpone the undesired behavior will help you eliminate it in the end. How about taking the money you'd spend on it and putting it into a special place for a later non-food treat?

These are just some ideas. We've all been ready to throw in the towel, but it helps to think positively and move forward. You can do it!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Mary Ann!

I hear ya, girl!

I used to work two jobs, one right after the other, for a thirteen-hour workday five days a week. I gained fifty pounds during that seven year CRAZY TIME! Part was stress, but the other part was the feeling that I NEVER had time for ME. When I got home there was housework to do and family stuff to do. I slept only five hours a night. I kept going by eating and drinking coffee. No matter what I attempted, I was unable to lose any weight. I also spent a lot of time medicating myself with food and rewarding myself with food. NOT HELPFUL!

I quit job #2 two years ago. I couldn't believe how much more relaxed I was! I actally had some time for ME. I discovered that weight loss for me only came when I put a higher priority on MY needs. My sons are older now, too, which makes things easier.

I spent WAY too much time doing things for others and lost myself. Last year I FINALLY decided that I was worth it and that I needed to think of myself because if I didn't, nobody else would either!

Weight loss for me only began to happen when I actually planned in time for myself within my day. It wasn't easy to learn to be a bit selfish, but it sure has helped me lose weight! I am halfway to my goal and have lost 50 pounds. It really hasn't been too tough because I was REALLY READY. Maybe you just aren't ready for focusing on yourself right now in your life as I wasn't several years ago.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You've had a lot of good suggestions and ideas. I also sometimes work 12 hour days. I get through by bringing lots of food I like. plan plan plan.

As for the vending machine, yes, I still hear her siren call. But I tell myself that I am not that person anymore... I've had too many vending machine lunches and know that eating vending machine food on a regular basis, while perhaps what I want at the moment, is not what I ultimately want. I try to reframe the issue -- I'm not depriving myself of the vending machine food, but giving myself healthier food for a healthier me.

I also agree with pat -- this gets easier when try to think more positively.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #10  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

Great advice here ladies. I was going to say something along the lines of what WaterRat said. There is a silent 'enemy' if you will, and that is your subconscience. You have conditioned yourself to fail because you believe the negative talk (spoken by you) and it's probably ingrained in your brain by now. Reptition is powerful. Advertisement agencies use repetition as a tactic to get you to buy something or believe something. You can change how you're 'wired' by doing the following:

Make a list of things you want to achieve but write it in the sense that you've already achieved it. Your mind responds to the present and if you think you are, then you will be. I know it sounds like you're lieing to yourself but this is just to get you rewired and undo years of negative thoughts and behavior.

So, you make a list and read it every day, a couple of times a day. I know it sounds kooky but believe me it works. I've been doing this faithfully for 2 months and my outlook is completely different and I've got a determination that WILL NOT be broken.

A sample list could read:

I am leaner than when I started.
I am closer to my short term goal.
I have more energy than yesterday.
I am getting my youthful shape back.

You get the idea. Read it every day.

As far as the vending machines, bring fruits which has natural sugar. I bring a banana and an orange. I too work swing shifts so I prepared all my meals for the weak one day and then I have it. If you binge, it's usually due to a lack of preparation. Have your meals prepared - very important.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #11  
Mel

I think this thread really belongs in the Support Forum- look for it there

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Glory's right - you'll eat what you pack if it's something you like and look forward to - so why not create your own plan, based on what you like and don't like?
So true! I pack lunches that I look forward to and would not even THINK of trading for vending machine stuff or even other people's Lean Cuisines and stuff. <G> And it's NOT that hard, with planning!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #13  

Can you compromise with yourself? If you MUST have something from the vending machines, make yourself have two bites of the lunch you brought before eating a bite of a snack. The two more of your lunch, etc. Or just make yourself eat lunch first and have one snack for dessert.

I assume you mean vending machine chips and candy, not vending machine sandwiches and soups. If you're buying sandwiches, make your own. Put less mayo in the tuna salad, or just bring tuna salad and leave off the brad. If you use bread, make it sandwich bread and not hoagie rolls. Same with soups. Buy or make soups with lots of veggies in them, not lots of noodles. (You can put in some noodles, just limit them.)

You might try buying those 100 calorie packages of cookies and chips that are out now. That might be an acceptable substitute for the vending machines.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #14  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Oh I am so glad I don't have to work with a vending machine around me anymore. A couple of years ago when I lost 60 pounds, that really contributed to my current state (gained it all back). They brought in a big bucket of chips, bars, etc and you had to pay $1 per item, and that box was constantly being raided by everyone.

Now I work from home (telecommute) and I only have my fridge to deal with and I have control over what is in it. AND I set my own hours, what could be better than that.

Stress is a major contributor I think to the way you are feeling about the loss of control you feel. You might want to try to figure out how you can work in some more "me" time, although I know at times life does not seem to allow for any "me" time. It is SO important.

I was also told by my private trainer at the time that you need to have enough sleep, or you will find your weight loss likely to be less. Your body needs sleep just as much as it needs nutrition.

Stress, not enough sleep, and poor nutrition are 3 reasons I am at the weight I am today.. and when I focus on those 3 things, changing them.. I lose weight. (oh and of course exercise.. but that helps reduce stress too)

Maybe like the others said you could plan some meals that you enjoy that are easy to freeze, like a good low salt soup with lots of variety in it. They are filling too so you'd be less likely to feel munchy on breaks.
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
You might try buying those 100 calorie packages of cookies and chips that are out now. That might be an acceptable substitute for the vending machines.
I'm a fan of the 100 cal packs myself. I need a treat, and at 200-300 calories, something from the vend can mess up my day. I know myself well enough that I don't even try to "just eat half" of a candy bar anymore. I also pack lots of fruits and veggies as snacks (Peaches and Red Bell Pepper strips lately) because I'm more likely to hit the vend if I let myself get too hungry.

Best Wishes!

-Amy
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote