South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #1  

Question Help with Vacation Please!

Greetings Chickies!!

I'm on P1 and will be on vacation for nearly all of week 2 and most of week 3. I need help figuring out how to handle this. I'm guessing that I would need to bring lots of snacks with me. I don't know if the room has a fridge.
I think eating out would be okay. Salads with grilled lean protiens. Breakfast is guaranteed to be a problem (I'm not really an egg eater). I'm thinking of bringing a whole thing of ff rigotta cheese with unsweetened chocolate powder and spenda in a small cooler. That and some nuts may just have to be breakfast.

What woiuld you bring with you, what would you do. I had tried SB once and made it 8 days. That was my only attempt so I don't know nearly as much about this as I wish I did before vacation. On week 3 I think I can add a fruit (once a day, is that right?).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA!!!!!:
Old 07-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #2  
South Beach Life Style

I have bought the SB prepackaged breakfast wraps.. any motel has a microwave..Like you said Breakfast is the one obstacle to conquer while traveling.. and I brought a few gallons of water so it was always on hand, and the SB snack bars.. YEP not the best way to go sodium wise, but it is on plan.. Take Care and I hope you do okay oh and NUTS.. lol I forgot..
Old 07-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #3  

I would be interested to see what others think and I don't know if they are totally legal on the SBD Phase I but my thoughts are that they probably are, is to get some AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes - they have about 100 calories, lots of protein, taste pretty good, and are super portable. They sell them at WalMart and at Sam's. They have only a couple of grams of carbs and no added sugar. I haven't looked at the ingredients closely though.

They only have 100 calories so you might need to eat something with them (like your nuts, or drink two (they are not very big)) for breakfast but they would also be good to stick in your purse. They do not have to be refrigerated - just pour over some ice. They also make a good snack.

Another thought along the same lines - don't know if you are a coffee drinker but I love the Designer Protein whey protein in chocolate - a scoop stirred into milk or coffee is pretty good and keeps you going for a while. This too has no added sugar - 2 g net carbs - and a good bit of protein.

EDITED to add: I looked at the nutritional label on the AdvantEdge Carb Control drinks - 100 calories, 3 g fat, 15g protein, and 1g impact carbs. They look ok ingredient wise too - they contain some sunflower oil but it is not hydrogenated, which I think is OK, particuarly in the kind of pinch you describe.

Last edited by athensmomof3; 07-01-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #4  

I'm personally wary of using shakes. Most do have ingredients that aren't allowed especially on phase 1. I also always end up hungry after shakes so they don't work well for me. For the second week when you are on phase 2, you can use the breakfast wraps or eat oatmeal. At home I microwave the Old Fashioned regular oatmeal but if I was the one travelling, I would buy the instant unsweetened oatmeal and add cinnamon and Splenda. You probably don't want to add more than one new thing in the first week of phase 2 so take a choice between wraps, oatmeal or a fruit.

Your ricotta idea sounds like a good one. You should check ahead to see if you will have a microwave and a minifridge in your room. That way you could pick up things like cheese and make ham rollups. You may find that getting your 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day is the hardest thing for you.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #5  

Thumbs up Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty nervous about it, but not so nervous that I've already thrown in the towel (my past modus operandi). I'm sure fast food has salads that I can have for lunch and maybe buy an extra for a snack later. I called the hotel and they said some rooms have fridges. They just couldn't tell me if mine would.I'll have to wait until I get there. My dad (who lost 120# on the beach then put 50 back on) gave me a whole list of ideas that was totally useless (there's a reason he's put that weight back on.....) and doesn't understand why I won't have fast food hot dogs and burgers without the buns. Oh well. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Have a super holiday weekend!!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/155/125

Height: 5'3"

I was in the same situation as you are in. My first 10 days on P1, I had lost 12 pounds (almost sounds unbelievable!), but I was faced with the dilema of what to do while on vacation for a week and a half. I did bring lots of snacks (string cheese, nuts, peanut butter and celery) which I packed in a little cooler and lots of water. I'm not that much of an egg person either, so my snacks usually ended up as breakfast also.
And when I was in a pinch, I'd order a grilled chicken salad from a fast food place and only used half of the packet of dressing, if not less.
Although I didn't see any significant weight loss while I was on vacation, I didn't gain either, which really helped me stay on track when I came home.
I hope this helped a little, I know how hard it is!
Good luck and have a safe and fun trip!
Closed Thread