Old 07-01-2006, 01:26 AM   #1  

Default Confused about Starches

Ok I'm confused are we supposed to eat our starches alone.I saw in my plan book that starches should be eaten alone.I have been doing the plan for 6 weeks and have been eating starches with my meals.Does anyone else do this?What to do?
greycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #2  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

The plan I'm on speaks of starches turning into sugar and should not be eaten alone. If you eat potato's and chicken, the chicken will slow down the time it takes the starch to turn into sugar and then to fat. The book said that avoiding starches are a myth and that we should eat them for energy.

It actually speaks of carbs - starchy carbs (rice (brown), potatoes, pasta) and fiberous carbs (anything green and leafy) A protein should be eaten, 1 starchy carb and 1 fiberous carb. It is the most healthy and well balanced approach to eating - of course exercise must follow.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #3  

oh ok I got it like a whole sandwich would be a carb craver,but if you eat one slice of 40 cal bread and someplan portion of meat that would be a starch and a protien.As long as it's not two starches together right.
greycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #4  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycrazy
oh ok I got it like a whole sandwich would be a carb craver,but if you eat one slice of 40 cal bread and someplan portion of meat that would be a starch and a protien.As long as it's not two starches together right.
Yes you got it. A meat and a carb combo is great together. A starch alone will hurt you (stay away from pierogies). It's straight sugar. The meat slows down the process it take to turn to sugar and the starchy carb will actually fuel your system giving you energy. Body builders eat TONS of brown rice - I mean plate fulls.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #5  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

So what are some good starch choices?
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #6  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

They also suggest not to eat heavy proteins and starches in the same meal in the evening. Like steak at potato because the red meat takes longer to digest. Some people may not have a problem with that but if you notice it slows you down then don't mix them.
If you eat your starches together, eat them earlier in the day. Like a sandwich or say cereal and toast for breakfast.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #7  
Deb on LAWL

Sommer- Lighter starch choices like ones that come out to about 50 calories per serving. I like rice cakes, pitas, low carb tortillas, melba toast for breading. I used to eat a lot of sweet potatoes when I first started and I haven't had any for a couple of months.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #8  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the info Debbie. I'm pretty familiar with the stuff I'm allowed to have, but I'm trying to learn what are the better choices from the list. What constitutes heavy and light, what are okay to mix and what tends to slow down weight loss when mixed. So thank you for helping!
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #9  
Deb on LAWL

What I do sommer is keep all my old diaries and make sure I write the weight down. If I am slowing down I refer back to the diaries to let me know what may be the problem. If I get stuck, I go back to a section where I was losing really good and follow that day or weeks plan. What starch ( or anything for that matter) may not slow you down, may stall someone else. They really preach limiting red meat to 3 times a week because it takes longer to digest. When I stalled, I completely quit eating red meat, and then became scared to eat red meat. Now I have worked it back into my diet and one weekend while camping, we ate steaks 3 nights in a row and I actually had a 2 lb. loss over the weekend. I guess after all this rambling, what I am trying to say is do what works for you. Trial an error is the way to find it out.