Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Okay, let's talk about high-calorie foods you love that you still occasionally...

Indulge in.

I don't believe in deprivation. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods is the worst thing you can do. Like I said today in another thread, I don't deny myself the foods I love, I just eat them in extreme moderation. Also in that same thread I mentioned sausage gravy and biscuits and it gave me the idea to ask some of you if you still eat your favorite 'sinful' foods and how you have them.

For example, again, I love sausage gravy and biscuits, especially from Bob Evans. And on rare occasions, when we go there to eat, I'll order a very small portion of it. But I modify it a little bit. I ask that the gravy be a small portion served in a small bowl, not the standard bigger bowl. And instead of getting it on a biscuit (those biscuits are even more calories than the gravy itself) I get it on a piece of plain texas toast.

One Bob Evans biscuit: 281 calories
Texas Toast: 120 calories

161 calories saved.

One cup (larger serving) sausage gravy: 219 calories
One small 4 oz. serving: 125 calories

94 calories saved.

Total calories saved by getting the SMALL portion of gravy and dry texas toast rather than a biscuit: 255 calories.

So how do YOU manage to work in your favorite foods by modifying a little?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I do most of my modification by reducing portion size and then matching with veggies rather than starchier sides or main dishes when my recipe is a bit higher on the calories.

I have in my kitchen arsenal now: 8 oz ramekins for tiny casseroles and mini lasagnas (we're having creamy chicken lasagna tonight, actually), little loaf pans, mini pie pans, tiny cake pans, itty bitty cookie cutters. All designed to work with portion control set to kill! I even bought a breadmaker that makes 3x4x4 sized loaves of bread to keep an eye on bread-slice size.

I've reduced all of my recipies to work under these conditions. For me, a main problem is controling my desire for "2nds"... no leftovers, no problem.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I mentioned in the other thread, there is this restaurant I like that has chocolate molten lava cake. It is thick, rich, fudgy and sinful. The center is hot and liquid. I could NEVER give this dessert up! I tend to split it with a friend about once a month. Even the two of us can't finish it, it's just so rich. I don't eat it very often and I share it with a friend

My big weakness used to be baked goods - muffins, scones, cookies and I did completely cut them out. Haven't had one since I started 2 years ago. I realized that I just didn't love them ENOUGH to try to work them in. Things that I love and can not live without - dark chocolate, red wine, chocolate molten lava cake - I make room for. Things that I don't miss - fried foods, chips, muffins, I just don't bother with.

I honestly do not feel deprived, I really like the foods I do eat. I look forward to a baked sweet potato, I look forward to peanut butter toast, I look forward to greek yogurt with fresh blackberries (which is so weird, I never would have imagined eating this way for my life).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #4  

Cheesecake brownies....yum
evierama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
I have in my kitchen arsenal now: 8 oz ramekins for tiny casseroles and mini lasagnas (we're having creamy chicken lasagna tonight, actually), little loaf pans, mini pie pans, tiny cake pans, itty bitty cookie cutters. All designed to work with portion control set to kill! I even bought a breadmaker that makes 3x4x4 sized loaves of bread to keep an eye on bread-slice size.
Oh how cute! And what a great idea
Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
I mentioned in the other thread, there is this restaurant I like that has chocolate molten lava cake. It is thick, rich, fudgy and sinful. The center is hot and liquid. I could NEVER give this dessert up!
And you shouldn't have to

I'm with you on the baked goods and stuff, though. I could never find room for them either and I was never really crazy about them in the first place, so those are things I don't eat. I don't need them, I don't miss them. Although every now and then I'll have a small slice of cake maybe at a birthday party or if we have cake for Sunday dessert. But that's about it.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:06 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by evierama
Cheesecake brownies....yum
Mmmmmmmmmmm