Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Cereal Question

My favorite cereal is Special K with strawberries. But, I recently read a thread here about how Special K is not good for you. Its calorie content is low--one cup has only 110 calories. But it does not have much fiber or protein and sugar is the second ingrdient on the list--I forget what the first ingredient is. Should I switch my cereal? Which cereal out there is low in calories and sugar, but high in fiber and protein?
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #2  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I don't think it's a question so much as Special K being bad for you, in my opinion it's not an unhealthy food. It's more that Special K is unlikely to fill you up for long (well, in my case it fills me up for about an hour then I'm ravenous), maybe due to it's low calorie and protein count. Protein is what fills you up, so the more grams of protein a food has the longer it will keep you full. If you are a huge fan of Special K, I like the Special K Low Carb Protein cereal, don't be fooled by it's name it is not geared towards low carb diets but it does have good amount of protein per serving.

I love cereal, my staple breakfast cereal is old fashioned oatmeal. Many people on this board swear by Kashi Go Lean because it has a whopping protein count for a cereal (10 maybe? I don't have a box nearby to reference). It's tasty too. I don't like it as a breakfast with milk because like Special K, it doesn't fill me up worth a damn. I do like it as a dry snack though, or with yoghurt, mmmmmm.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #3  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Oooo Kashi go lean is the bomb! Here are the nutrition facts about Kashi Go Lean
Amount Per 1 serving (1 cup)
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 9
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 85mg
Potassium 480mg
Total Carbohydrate 30g
Dietary Fiber 10g
Protein 13g
Calcium 6 %
Iron 10 %
Phosphorus 20 %

It may not have all the nutrients that some of the other cereals have, but it's filling and I think with some splenda on it, it tastes really good. I take a prenatal vitamin every day so I think that helps too (it's interesting to note that everyone around me has some type of ongoing cold or flu, and I have yet to catch anything - I almost relate it to taking the prenatal religiously, who knows?)

Best, kitty
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I like the Kashi Go Lean and Kashi Go Lean Crunch (I think I like just the go Lean a bit better). I also like Vector.

I usually eat my cereal in yogurt rather then milk - more filing and tastey! This morning I have vanilla yogurt with some vector and it was like eating dessert for breakfast! I never used to eat much cereal cuz I would be hungry an hour later, but this and maybe a piece of fruit and I am good till lunch!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:21 AM   #5  
Gina

S/C/G: 223/199/150

Height: 5'7"

I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch almost every day, either in milk or by itself. Love it!--Gina
gigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #6  

After chaos kitty just posted the kashi go lean nutritional info, I am thinking...hmm 30 g Carbo....plus 13 g proteins....plus### does it add upto 110 calories? hmmmm!!!?!!! I dont think so! May be calculating it wrong! (1g carb is 4 cal and 1g protein is also 4 cal and 1 g fat is 9 cal)

Someone correct me...
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #7  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Hm - interesting... What you see from my previous entry was a cut and paste from Kashi's site (to avoid typos). But checking the side of my cereal box this morning, here is the low down...

Two serving sizes are listed - one for 110 and the other for 140. For 3/4 cup it's 110 and for 1 cup it's 140 calories. Hope that clears things up!

Best, kitty
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

When you calculate the calories for carbs you subtract the fiber grams .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote