Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'5

Default Slimquick..my first diet

I am 32 I just started taking slimquick yesterday I am following the diet completley & doing more excersize ..well walking then it recomends I am 217 pounds @ 5'5 I am taking in on this diet about 1000 calories A day & I am starving ...I am eating like A peice of wheat toast & slice of cheese in the morn lunch 1/2 of broiled chicken breast 1/2 cup rice 2 snakcs of 1 cup of carrots & dinner like A salad 1 cup of lettuce & 1/2 of chicken breast or turkey 2 tablespoons of a lite french dressing or a turkey n lettuce on whole wheat ...i am starving I know it sounds like alot but i have never excersized or walked much I am now walking 2 or so miles A day plus the 20 m in work out 4 times a week i will be doing I recently quit smoking & drinking I was drinking alcohal 3 times a week & 5 diet pops a day I am not drinking 8 glasses of water a day 1 diet pop & maybe a cup of green tea I just want to ask can i add in another small meal does anyone have any suggestions does it sound like I am doing the right thing or r the calories all wrong? any info would help ...also I cant do much excersize i had left an abusive marrige & due to that i dont have much use of my rt arm knee & my neck & back is bad I can do a little and alot of walking ...I am @ home all day so this is my only activity thanks any suggestions i would love to hear!!!!!
mizz186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

For the most part, the majority concensus on the boards seems to be that there is never really any reason to eat lower than 1200 cals/day: and many people (myself included) feel that even 1200 is too low for most people.

I don't want to tell you what to do, of course, because I'm no nutritionist or doctor, but if I was 5'5" and exercising the amount you state, I'd start eating at about 1500-1600 cals/day, wait 2 or 3 weeks, the re-evaluate based on how many pounds I've lost.

If you try to starve yourself into weight loss, you are going to stand a very strong chance of burning out and quitting completely. Not only that, but with the exercise you'll need the calories and nutrition to help build and tone muscle and prevent injury.

I'm sure you'll get other advice as well, but this is where I would have started. Good luck. You can do this!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz186
I am 32 I just started taking slimquick yesterday I am following the diet completley & doing more excersize ..well walking then it recomends I am 217 pounds @ 5'5 I am taking in on this diet about 1000 calories A day & I am starving ...I am eating like A peice of wheat toast & slice of cheese in the morn lunch 1/2 of broiled chicken breast 1/2 cup rice 2 snakcs of 1 cup of carrots & dinner like A salad 1 cup of lettuce & 1/2 of chicken breast or turkey 2 tablespoons of a lite french dressing or a turkey n lettuce on whole wheat ...i am starving
Not weird to be hungry when you're eating a few cups of lettuce and scraps of turkey a day. You have to do something you can stick with. If you're starving and miserable on day 1, you're not going to stick with it. What are you going to do when your weight plateaus and you stop losing weight, eat 500 calories a day? Eat more healthy whole foods - your exercise sounds good

You should definitely add in a couple of healthy snacks and pump up your meals a little. When I was losing weight, I figured if I were hungry I was doing it WRONG. I don't like to be hungry.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #4  

Default thank you

ok good so I dont have to feel guilty for adding another small meal? lol my daughter had salsbury steak & mashed potatoes & green beans for dinner I ended up eating 1/2 a pice of the salsbury steak & a teaspoon of mashed potatoes & now im going to go for my last walk...I am going to stick with this no matter what but I agree I do need to add in a little more food ty for the support & making me feel ok for addin a little more on!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz186
I am 32 I just started taking slimquick yesterday I am following the diet completley & doing more excersize ..well walking then it recomends I am 217 pounds @ 5'5 I am taking in on this diet about 1000 calories A day & I am starving ...
And rightly so.

You're not eating enough for your weight and especially if you're exercising. Also, you may want to consider nixing the diets. Make permanent changes you can live with. Diets only leave you feeling deprived. I never deprive myself. I eat what I want as long as it fits into my daily calorie allowance.

According to a pretty decent calorie calculator I use and based on your stats, you need to take in 2598 calories per day to MAINTAIN your current weight. The general rule, to safely lose 1-2 pounds per week, is to subtract 500 from that total. Which leaves you with 2098 calories. This is also taking into consideration that you said you were exercising. If you're not a very active person, that calorie level drops to 1751 calories per day. That's about what I started at when I began my new lifestyle. At 220 pounds I was eating 1700-1800 calories per day because I'm not a very active person. I exercise, yes, but I'm not religious about it. So I compensated by dropping my calories.

Also, as you lose weight, the more weight you lose, the fewer calories your body needs. So you need to keep an eye on that as well. By the time I had lost about 40 pounds, I was down to eating 1500 calories a day. Then it dropped to 1400. Then 1300. Now I'm at 1200 and will stay there until I get these last few pounds off and I can up my calories a little to maintain.

Last edited by LLV; 06-26-2006 at 08:59 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I have lost weight pretty consistently over the past 8 months. 48 lbs worth. I have been eating between 1200 and 1400 for the majority, but I do flux occasionally to 1500 or 1600 and during the holidays I allowed myself 1800. 1000 calories a day is pretty drastic.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Check out the calorie calculator on this page. Enter all of your stats. You will be amazed at how much you are alloted. Especially with your height.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #7  

thank you very much all of you are very encouraging ... i am going to go for my last walk of the day when i come back i will check again again thank all of you so much!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Make the extra calories good calories and you'll feel fuller. Try sticking with lean meats and whole grains. Add an egg to breakfast, and a vegetable with the rice and chicken at lunch, and increase the chicken to a whole grilled chicken breast for both lunch and dinner. You'll get some more protein and not be so hungry.

I've tried the starvation diets. And I've always gained my weight back PLUS, each and every time. Never heard of this Slimquick. But if it's anything like Slimfast, my advice would be to ditch it. But it doesn't sound like you're skipping meals, just not eating much for them. So is it a pill? We can lose weight without pills, without gimmicks. No gimmicks this time. I ate right and exercised and I've kept the weight off.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It seems like most of us go through diet "phases." I definitely did the "wow, all I have to do is stop eating and I'll lose weight!!" diet. I DID lose some weight, but it was ultimately hearbreaking and painful when I stopped dieting, returned to my previous eating habits and gained all the weight back and more. You have to ask yourself, what do you WANT. Do you want to lose weight or do you want to lose weight AND keep the weight off? Do you want to be at your goal weight for a day or a lifetime? Finally figuring out those questions helped me with the long term success which had eluded me for 20 years. The answer to those questions did NOT include starving to death.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Whew! I'd be starving too. I would definitely add in some more food. If you are too deprived and hungry, you might pay for it later by going overboard. Moderation goes both ways. I read a study recently - sorry, can't remember who it was, but it was a reputable source - that says moderate cuts in calories and moderate additions to exercise combined, will help you lose weight better than drastic cuts in calories alone.

Try entering your food in to Fitday and see how your nutrition is. The online program is free, but you can download it for $20 and get much more detailed info. Very helpful in my opinion!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote