Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #1  
<333

S/C/G: 283/251/180

Height: 5' 4

Cool 3 Completely Different Questions. Milk, Bikes, and Scales.

Hello Everyone! How is all? Good I hope!

Now, my first subject.

1) Milk. When I was at curves, my mom saw a pamplet about drinking milk to help weight loss! So, I try to fit skim milk into my diet. But sometimes Its hard! So is it ok to not count it? I really like to drink milk because its refreshing and has flavor and tastes really good with a reduced fat oreo at the end of a day of careful dieting! I know its only 90 cals per cup but I fit 5 meals into my schedul and it would be nice to know im not over eating/drinking.

2) Bikes. Unfortunately I cant ride a bike. I know its embarassing but I tryed countless hours and cant perform. And its really too hot down here to ride a bike in the summer. I love riding bikes!! But I have to use training wheels, which is quite embarassing. So I want to get a stationary bike. 1st off. Im short. So are there any shorter people that have a good, efficent, AFFORDABLE bike? Thanks for help!

3) Scales. I reallly dont care about if it has memory storage and what not, just as long as its accurate. And again affordale. I want digital only though and maybe one extra thing. Id like one with not just .5 increments but maybe ones with .2 ones or .1 ones.

Thanks for all the help!!!

<333
Stephanieee<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

1) Milk. I don't drink much but I know it is good for you. I don't know if it helps with weight loss or not but I take calcium pills to help keep my bones strong (just started this). I take two everyday. I like my yogurt tho! But I think no matter what it is, if it has calories count it. If I have a glass of milk I count it, if I have a can of diet pop I don't.

2) Bike. I am short, 5'2ish. I can ride a normal bike and love it, but I just an indoors exercise bike. I think it has REALLY helped with my weight loss. I ride 60-80 min first thing in the morning, every morning - before I eat. This bike was so cheap it doesn't even have a name. My mom said she picked it up at wal-mart or zellers or something for about 150$. I love it. It gets a bit boring sometimes I would rather be outside, but inside my house is much cooler, I turn on some TV and away I go.

3) Scales. I have a digital scale (I just posted about in in another thread in the support form). It is a health o meter weight tracking scale and it measure to .2 of a pound.

Hope that helped at least a bit!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #3  
<333

Wink

Haha! I just told everyone how hot it is here and its POURING. All heck has broken lose. I just hope our tree doesnt fall over. Its in REALLY bad shape, Its dying but they cant cut it down for about a month! So its dead. And weak. And its storming so bad! YIKES! I better get off the comp! Bye Everyone!

Im just praying my mom gets home okay. Who likes driving in the rain?

<33
Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't know much about bicycles or scales (I have a digital scale that I'm happy with, but it measures in .5 increments only. I paid $30 for it Bed Bath and Beyond). But if you drink a glass of milk a day, I definitely think you need to count it.

I would also be a little skeptical of the pamphlet stating that it helps you to lose weight. I've read in several places that this claim is not proven, most recently in the July 2006 issue of Cooking Light ("Weighing In on Dairy's Weight-Loss Claims," page 56). According to the article, much of the research on dairy and weight loss has been performed by one individual: Michael Zemel, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. The article quotes him as saying that drinking milk can help you lose twice as much weight when added to a reduced calorie diet. But he goes on to say "...I would never suggest that just eating dairy on top of your regular diet could help you shed pounds--you have to cut calories, too." I think this argues for counting it.

The article also says that when researchers at other institutions have tried to duplicate Zemel's research, the results have been mixed. A recent University of Virginia compared dieters on high and low-dairy calorie-restricted diets and found no significant difference between the two groups.

Having said that, milk is certainly good for you in other ways regardless of whether it helps with weight loss, so if you like it, you should work it into your diet. But I think you have to count it.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

1) Milk. When I was at curves, my mom saw a pamplet about drinking milk to help weight loss! So, I try to fit skim milk into my diet. But sometimes Its hard! So is it ok to not count it? I really like to drink milk because its refreshing and has flavor and tastes really good with a reduced fat oreo at the end of a day of careful dieting! I know its only 90 cals per cup but I fit 5 meals into my schedul and it would be nice to know im not over eating/drinking.

Do you not want to count the calories in milk? At 90 calories a cup, it could make a difference. Milk and other low fat dairy are good sources of protein and good for you. Low fat string cheese, low fat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, fat free lattes - all good and tasty alternatives if you get tired of just plain old skim milk. Drinking milk does not magically make you lose weight like a diet pill.

2) Bikes. Unfortunately I cant ride a bike. I know its embarassing but I tryed countless hours and cant perform. And its really too hot down here to ride a bike in the summer. I love riding bikes!! But I have to use training wheels, which is quite embarassing. So I want to get a stationary bike. 1st off. Im short. So are there any shorter people that have a good, efficent, AFFORDABLE bike? Thanks for help!

If you were already riding a bike and just wanted something indoors because of the heat, I would say go for it. If you're not currently riding a bike, there's a good chance in one year it will be the thing you hang your clothes on.

3) Scales. I reallly dont care about if it has memory storage and what not, just as long as its accurate. And again affordale. I want digital only though and maybe one extra thing. Id like one with not just .5 increments but maybe ones with .2 ones or .1 ones.

I like my digital scale, it's nothing fancy, weighs in .5 increments and I got it at Walmart. I don't know if it would be a great idea to obsess to .1 lb.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #6  
<333

Thanks for the advice everyone! <33